Sign in to follow this  
readytogo1955

All Bugging Outs Are Not The Same.

We actually had a week long party after Ike. I got to dig out all my goodies and we ate like royalty. I even have a passel of battery powered fans that were a big hit. Ike was a strange storm. When the eye went over it was PINK inside. Rita nearly took out the dam on Livingston and blew a lot harder up here on the Lake.

One of the things that blew my mind was that 18 hours after the storm passed through there were lines 3 miles long of people wanting MREs, a case of bottled water and a bag of ice...I mean DAMN they couldn't have been out already and the gas they burned sitting in linr with their ACs going was precious because there wasn't any to be had. Even when some of the stations got generators running the gas dried up in a hurry.

That storm changed a lot of the ideas that I had about the survivability of most people if left on their own. The water thing just blew my mind. People acted like bottled water was the ONLY water that they could drink. The city water department in Huntsville had a generator back up and they NEVER lost their water....?????? I actually saw people CRYING because the bottled water was sold out. They looked at me like I had lost my mind when I asked them if there water was off. I had to tell them that they could fill up jugs, their bathtubs and sinks and it would be fine!!!! Sadly I realized that a lot of people will be TSTL (To Stupid To Live) if they ever are on their own without someone to tell them what to do.

Edited by Danm

Danm,

Our water stayed on as well. You are correct about the bottled water stuff. Not all water running is safe to drink, you may have to boil it but we never even had to do that.

Also correct; the rule for hurricanes is "RUN FROM WATER, HIDE FROM WIND". I rode out Ike but probably won't do it again for a Cat 2 up. Biggest problem for me was folks not wanting to take days off and employers not letting folks go until the day before.

Take enough time soon enough to be safe. You can earn more vacation but you only get one life.

We actually had a week long party after Ike. I got to dig out all my goodies and we ate like royalty. I even have a passel of battery powered fans that were a big hit. Ike was a strange storm. When the eye went over it was PINK inside. Rita nearly took out the dam on Livingston and blew a lot harder up here on the Lake.

One of the things that blew my mind was that 18 hours after the storm passed through there were lines 3 miles long of people wanting MREs, a case of bottled water and a bag of ice...I mean DAMN they couldn't have been out already and the gas they burned sitting in linr with their ACs going was precious because there wasn't any to be had. Even when some of the stations got generators running the gas dried up in a hurry.

That storm changed a lot of the ideas that I had about the survivability of most people if left on their own. The water thing just blew my mind. People acted like bottled water was the ONLY water that they could drink. The city water department in Huntsville had a generator back up and they NEVER lost their water....?????? I actually saw people CRYING because the bottled water was sold out. They looked at me like I had lost my mind when I asked them if there water was off. I had to tell them that they could fill up jugs, their bathtubs and sinks and it would be fine!!!! Sadly I realized that a lot of people will be TSTL (To Stupid To Live) if they ever are on their own without someone to tell them what to do.

Here somebody got fired because the main generators at the water plant had problems with the batteries,seems nobody had done a pm on them for sometime,again.human error could have cause a major problem to the community.

Great answers and opinions, I most consider.

1)The why of the bug-out.

2)The where to go,if place is not available.

3)The how to get there,and this is assuming that the location is ready,transportation.

4)And time,which is totally out of your control,because you will not be the only one on the road,no matter how well you plan this move,no matter how well you know the roads,bridges,rivers,you will not be alone,it will take a army to control and keep order in this kind of moving or situation.

5)So ,if you have a location,how often you go there,how often you rotated stock,if any,you going alone ,a group,groups from several parts of the country.

I guess my military mind is back in gear.:eek: