Sign in to follow this  
Guest survival101

Hardening your Fortress.

Plywood on the windows with holes to look out from/shoot from.

Metal bars between sliding doors/windows to keep them from opening.

Basic alarm system.

Backup generator(s) for home.

Guard dogs.

Have a fence around your yard. (Metal would be best, but those don't look nice in a normal setting.)

Also, I would hope you have an attic with a window overlooking the front of your property, it could make a nice snipers nest.

Basic alarms for all major companies are 2-3 doors and a motion detector so you will not get any response from the alarm until the doors are opened, if they are propperly secured then you will be alerted by the bashing the kicking and curse well before then , also the motion can not be used if you are inside and moving around. I also would not want a siren going off to draw attention to me and my house still having power.

As for generators being used they are rather loud as well and will draw unwanted attention , and unless you have a powered ventilation system they will have to be outside the hardened structure so when they hear your generator you going to have to defend an area outside your home

I agree with the thorny plants and planter boxes. I'd also look at placing the concrete planters (or any other) along the road or other pathways, to help stop or slow vehicle traffic. The military uses "jersey" barriers to create a serpentine route to slow traffic, where we have to use something aesthetically appealing to keep within HOA rules or local ordinances.

Valid points on stick built homes not being secure. Most are 1/2 inch plywood at best on the exterior and even some are using plywood only at the corners for "hardening" points and then use 1/2 inch styrofoam sheeting for the bulk of the exterior covering. Then coupled with 1/2 drywall on the interior. A reciprocating saw or even a razor blade to cut through the siding, and they can easily break through the drywall and styrofoam.

Don, good point on the generators being noisy. The military has a "TQG" (Tactically Quiet Generator) which has a housing with sound batting insulation on the interior, civilian models offer same feature. Another way, which will take planning or being able to place in a shed or garage, is to "sandbag" around the generator and run extension pipes for the exhaust and air intake. Remember to leave enough room to allow room to perform maintenance on the generator and air space for heat dissipation, we tried to keep 4 feet all the way around in the military.

it just popped it my head today at work about a show i saw on TV a while back. I dont recall the show. It was showing the military using truck bed liner on walls to fortify them against bombs. So i am wondering if truck bed liner would help a wall against bullet fire. anyone with some insight on this?

I remember something like this long long ago.

It was a special on the SPEED channel about futuristic cars, and there was this black SUV that had bed lining in the doors to stop bullets, and it had night vision front cameras, and had electrical door handles that would shock anyone trying to get in.

They demonstrated it by driving it through a computerized mob trying to get into the car with rocks and logs, the mob didn't win.

Some target hardening devices for your home. From job experience, the door frame is typically the "weakest link" in the chain and tends to fail first. The door is the next most-common failure point, followed by the lock itself. I don't think I've ever seen the hinges fail on a door breach. Even with the breaching shotgun, we had to hit 4-screw hinges at least 3 times before they failed.

OnGard door brace

Master Lock security bar

Armor Concepts door/frame reinforcement

I have no experience with Armor Concepts, but the idea seems pretty solid and the areas they reinforce are the most common failure points.

Edited by Major Krisis

considering the post on this subject

I look at long term defensive systems and layers any system has multiple layers of security

what works for one will not work for all each landscape provides challenges and I am sorry but plywood or

fencing over windows only traps you inside.

you cannot defend a large structure with multiple rooms doors and windows unless you have enough

people to man each entry and replacement sentries.

probing or multi pronged testing of defenses will ferret out the weakness in short order.

blind spots and your own co defenders who may not be able to sustain the mental pressure of

intense contact some people shut down when shot at {go figure}.

entry ways are a positive not a negative you want a delay so you can prepare to repel the attack.

but be able to see the intruder and not have them be able to have direct line of sight of you.

you need to consider a portion of the home that is defensible from an exterior and interior assault.

That can be escaped from and affords protection or obscures your group as you fall back.

but do not count on it if your surrounded and that takes only 3 persons triangular positions and

no movement out or by most windows or exit from doors will be possible.

that turns it into a siege stand off and now if you become to much trouble the burnout becomes

a possibility if we can't have it your not either.

nomads have no interest in fixed positions they take what they need and move on some were traders

some were thieves some were both.

but losses were expected and it was not of the rulers who enticed their troops with

promises of food and booty {both kinds}.

an external sentry to harass the approaching menace and confuse their plan now that takes skill

most do not have.

heating in winter gardens in summer cooking and canning smells will draw people like flies

that is why I push precooked freeze dried add hot water minimal threat to security.

nails in wood is as good a deterrent as any plywood done up as a bed of nails and cattle panel

upper half door make someone stoop to enter.

think obstacles, distractions and delays not barriers.

You might consider a myriad of steel plates lining what you consider a "safe room." It'd be rather inefficient to line your entire home with them. Cinder blocks and bricks can be fired through by a variety of weapons including handguns. You'd be surprised at how few ordinary items will stop a round. For quick, although expensive use, you might consider a ballistic blanket, but even that will likely stop only handgun and shotgun rounds. If you're considering building something then you might look into insulating concrete forms. They are a fantastic construction material that I've read will stop bullets as well although the primary benefit of them is that they offer an incredible R-value and are resistant to storm damage such as hurricanes and tornados at a cost not much greater than that of a typical woodframe dwelling.

I think, however, that "hardening" a home refers to burglar proofing and the like by increasing deterrents and security such as better doors, windows, and locks along with lighting, bushes, etc. However, I've worked more than one burglary where the assailant merely unscrewed the bulb and screwed it back in upon leaving.

Edited by ArkansasFan30