Sign in to follow this  
razorblade

a newbie question

just wanted to add a couple of point to this thread....

clip shoes are not second nature. i learned ten years ago and it took 6 months to learn well enought not to hurt myself. They are great and double your pedaling efforts.

the average person walks 3 mph on a level paved path. where as an average person will travel 2 mph in the woods on a trail that is considered easy to moderate in difficulty. Add a 30lb pack and that person drops to 1.25 mph. These averages drop quickly after 2 miles.

What ever choice of transportation you make you should train and practice that mode.

ok let's talk about gear :) i really need a good (and cheap :) ) sleeping bag, any opinion?

(grin) Well, like every other discussion about gear, you will have to figure out what your needs are first. Are you looking for a bag for your bug out bag, or something more long term? If all you need is something to keep you warm and alive while you get to your permanent shelter, take a good look at this Emergency Bivy Bag:

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?catname=Shelter&prodname=SOL%20Emergency%20Bivvy&product=144

For a traditional sleeping bag, the most important thing to know is how cold the weather will be when you are trying to sleep. After that, will you be sleeping inside of a tent or other weatherproof shelter? Finally, how much weight/bulk are you willing to accept?

Here in Florida, you can sleep in a very lightweight "two season" bag, and getting wet is a big concern (from your own sweat, and from rain/dew in the morning). In Minnesota, you would need a serious cold weather bag and a ground pad for extra insulation.

Generally, you want to get a bag that is rated for the coldest weather you expect to face, plus about 10 degrees colder (degrees are in Fahrenheit, not Celsius, I'm writing as an American). So if the average winter temperature in your area is 20 degrees at night, get a bag rated for 10 degrees. You want one that doesn't have a lot of extra space inside, but not so snug that you can't move around. Rectangular bags are roomiest, but mummy-style bags keep you warmer. Down filled bags are warmest when dry, but they are terrible at keeping you warm when they get wet. Synthetic filled bags are cheaper and more common, and less affected by getting wet. The more money you are willing to spend, the smaller and lighter the bag you can buy.