Sign in to follow this  
John

Bug-In Castle Defense

If she doesn't like you having survival supplies then pick up hobbies like making bread from scratch or learning to make beef jerky.

It's not that she doesn't want me having it around, just that she herself isn't into it. The problem is mainly being able to spread my resources between two places that are 75 miles apart. I want to get her more involved in the process so she won't be screwed if I can't get home in order to kick things into survival mode.

If you can make your survival food taste better then off the shelf food you can justify having a lot. In fact just liking to cook a lot as a hobby justifies owning a lot or diverse foods.

I already have and this is great advice for pretty much everyone. The better food tastes the more enjoyable your survival experience will be!

bamaman

in your post you spoke about door security from kick ins well I remembered these items I hope

it is helpful

I think you will like this it looks good is inexpensive and works like a champ

it has won may awards and it works a friend had them on his house I have been wanting to get

a couple for my place.

http://store.winner-intl.com/the-door-club-p50.aspx

And this is slicker than snot and no batteries i have one and am buying another

http://securityproductsinc.com/product/door-spy-ds-6

both great ideas, snake. A word of caution: all the locks in the world are useless if the door is flimsy enough that the BG can kick the hinges off or just punch through it. I have seen folks who 'saved money' by 'weather proofing' a hollow core door and use it as an exterior door. Most garage doors are hollow core anyway and every crook knows it. These gizmos are good and they or something like them should be considered. That door club is a modern analog for the massive crossbeams of the middle ages locking system. They do slow the BGs down, that is good, but if the door has weak hinges (attachment screws that go deep into wood) or has a lot of beautifully decorated glass or is not solid (ie HEAVY) the time gained is small and as was mentioned on the "too much security" thread, will very quickly not be used because it is inconvenient.

There was a show (Breakin???) where a professional bugler broke into homes and then the TV guys gave the owners a new security system. The number of times he came back 6 weeks later and the new system was not being used was amazing. Decide on a system, fix the obvious weaknesses (if possible - replacing a decorative front door may not be possible because of spouse or HOA issues) get the system and USE it. Just remember, in case of fire the first responders are not as adept at getting past these things as are the BGs. Safety from fire/medical emergency and ease of access is a trade off with security.

I forgot the most important shortcut thanks Capt Bart

http://www.shattersafe.com/

also anyone using a non steel door with a long throw deadlock bolt and stainless steel

long screws in a doubled stud door posts may as well just leave the door open

commercial steel doors with steel frame I used liquid nails to apply fancy wood trim in

and out window kits and use poly carbonate instead of glass and you can apply wood

panels and trim.

hey its only your life sticking your face in a window in these days and times you would have to be a dumbazz

in conjunction with the items on my previous and a good entry way security and windows

are hardened to give you enough reaction time

should a abduction of family to gain entry a call sign for distress other than a name of

anyone in the house and cannot be confused with any other word and have your phone

with 911 speed dial set if you have an alarm do not disable when coming in the door and

have the panel covered so if your abducted on your door step you can have a backup

fake or real video security signs make criminals nervous also.

of course you have to have a rod at hand or in multiple locations in

the home as picture frame or simple plastic or thin metal wall safes with pictures covering

them

It's not that she doesn't want me having it around, just that she herself isn't into it. The problem is mainly being able to spread my resources between two places that are 75 miles apart. I want to get her more involved in the process so she won't be screwed if I can't get home in order to kick things into survival mode.
Hmm that's a bit harder. You can't force someone to be prepared they have to come to the conclusion that preparedness is a good thing on there own. But you can help then get there by exposing them little bit's at a time. Stuff like closely following a disaster as it unfolds and talking about it or like learning about life in 3rd world counties and talking about some thing interesting you learned there or just whats going on right now in our country. other then that good luck your going up against a life time of everything being ok with the idea that at some point things could go wrong.

smoke one think you might look at is your prewelded bars idea but add extra heavy duty d links around the outsides of your windows now, if shtf simply take your cages and attatch them to your waiting mounting points with sheilded hasp padlocks, the key and weakpoint to this system is always the mounts and what your walls are made out of, i tend to figure the heaviest duty i think i need and double it or better on projects like this (sense making on what i mean by the mounts?)

Anyone who really really wants to get into most homes will be able to, but there are some things you can do to make your home a bit safer (more so for the typical break in type scenario than for end of the world). You can plant plants around your windows such as barberry which have pretty purple/red leaves to keep the wife happy, yet are literally a PITA covered in thorns that will prevent people from wanting to come in via that route. You can also screw your windows shut, which makes them harder to pop out of the tracks. You can replace your exterior doors with steel and hang them so that they open out and not in as typical doors do. It's a lot harder to kick in a door opening out than one opening in. Oh and those little brass wood screws that come in all door lock, dead bolt kits. Throw those away. Go to the hardware store and get 4 inch screws to replace them with.

Also just a simple "security" sign or door/window stickers (you can actually make these yourself on your home pc and printer will deter a lot of theft. Thugs are generally lazy. It's a lot easier to break into the house with no security than one that advertises it. Anyway, I know I've sort of taken this away from the original premise of the thread, but just thought it was worth adding.

Bug In Psychology -- I don't have kids, so I'm not speaking from a position of experience on this but not total ignorance. Kids need stuff to do just to keep thier hands and minds busy and hopefully QUIET. Children may not have the 'situational awareness' to realize they need to shutup and be quiet in a survival situation. After long peroids of time this could be like 'Cabin fever x10'. May i suggest coming up with ways to educate the children to help with redundant survival tasks (such as purifying water) but make it fun, make a game out of it somehow. Chosing to 'Bug IN' can be both good and bad, mainly because you will become a target for anyone else who was unprepared, and you have to be able to defend your loved ones your supplies and your home. WHEN (not if) you are attacked (probably by more than 1 person) you have to be mentally prepared to do what needs to be done to defend whats yours. ANd don't count on 3/8 plywood to deter anything when it comes to raiders. I live in a densly populated downtown metropolis area. I know BUG IN is not an option for me.

In the S.F. Bay area it's leave 36 hours before the Event or ride it out. The traffic goes to hell if someone sees a rain drop let alone the call to evacuate is given!

I live in the City, and I'll be using the evac time to shift to my more secure Bug in. But realistically the regional SHTF Event gives ZERO warning (Earthquake)! Again ride it out and shift to the other location in the city.