Sign in to follow this  
John

Bug-In Castle Defense

femvet59

First you may ask do I have all this the answer is yes and more I am a redneck I have a deal with my

local junk man plastic barrels old T posts metal pipe and R panel {commercial building metal}

any thing he thinks he can make a buck on he comes to me I buy Z beam heavy metal studs and pearling

and 4x4 treated posts and wire fence and expanded metal and metal building trim

I also collect concrete blocks and pads i am going to build a smoke house with a screen porch area to

can and butcher meat to keep out the flies and bugs.

I have built chicken coups rabbit pens mulch pits and extra plastic barrels top cut out I use as

planter buckets cut them in half and drill weep holes in the bottom cut the rest into 4 inch rings and split

for mulch barriers / keepers / grass edger for my trees and plants.

all out of found and used material mixed with some new saved me a lot of money and keeps me out of the

strip clubs <};=}

you will recognize my home because this is what it will look like you cant defend your whole property

but enough tangle foot and obstacles and barbed wire gives you easy defense.

you need to stock a few rolls of barbed wire and few pair of leather gloves

and a barbed wire spooling handle / holder depending on the size of

your house T posts and a T post driver a framing hammer pair of fencing pliers and a T post puller a

corded sawsall no cordless tools and a roll of TOP wire for hurricane fencing this is to use as tie wire

a couple of rolls of bailing wire it is easier to use for tie wire

20 construction blades and a circular saw and a few extra blades a large box of washers that your nails

and screws will not go through these can attach barbed wire to posts and wood frames

one T post for every 2 foot this will give you three rings of defense if you have a fence your loops

on the inside about 4 foot

13 windows and 3 doors enough plywood {treated}to cover windows and double amount for each

of the doors about a dozen 2x4's studs treated stack all this neatly flat on the floor studs then plywood

T posts nails and screws T posts puller and driver barbed wire and it looks like a yard and fencing project

s

a 50 pound box of 16 penny nails and a large box of 3 1/2 inch drywall screws threaded all the way down

enough self tapping metal screws to mount your plywood window shields

and 10 to 20 pieces 20 foot long of 1/2 inch rebar ask about bent and twisted sometimes they will

give you a sale price or go to construction sites and ask the builder to scrounge for small scrap

that your making Christmas and Halloween yard art / decorations it helps his cleanup efforts

he probably wont mind

before TEOTWAWKI cut and fit plywood for your windows and mark where they go and mount them

calk the screw holes in the frames and mark with a marker up down and which window it fits

cut 2 crosses one on each side 3 inches wide and as wide and tall as you need to get full range of

exterior area on the back diamond pattern mark 3 inch diamonds this is where you put nails or screws

when you make this your bug in i in each square or diamond.

find a plastic barrel cut 1/3 of your rebar in 18 inch pieces 1/3 into 2 foot and 1/3 into 3 foot

cut at an angle so it is sharp and store it in the barrel you can use it as plant stakes

consider a metal roof it lasts longer and is fire resistant also hardy plank fascia and soffet

a box of 16 penny nails and small pieces of plywood and scrap boards put nails through both ways

make them now and save them in a barrel

sharp rebar steaks with T posts with crisscrossed barbed wire and6 foot looped barbed wire close to your

doors and windows thin plywood full of screws attached to your door and have one for a welcome mat

in front of windows also.

tires enough for sand bags in front of windows stack tires off set fill with dirt and sharp steaks

not taller than your window as you want to see over it

you can do this now and fill with dirt and use them as large planters this is a a bullet proof barrier

your brick or any other home is not bullet proof.

radial tires filled with sand and gravel will stop bullets in a semi circle around windows but not against the

house as ants and bugs can use these

cross bar brackets just have them until needed your doors have studs next to the frame this is

where you attach these.

ply wood in windows needs to have the CROSS cut in about 3 inches wide like used in the Indian wars

aiming hole gives you T & E tack dark screen over to keep outsiders from viewing through cut outs and

do not back light your self at night.

the reason why this is so close to the home because too far out it can be over come

20 foot out rolls of steaked out barbed wire empty cans wired for sound signal if wire is tampered with.

sharpened rebar to wire loops to ground and if some clown tries to use a blanket to crush it land in a

sharpen steak a few T posts in between to keep wire from being moved around

15 foot crisscrossed tangle foot 1 foot tall mixed with sharpened stakes and small ply wood squares

with nails

10 foot couple of strands of barbed wire loose at 4 foot and 2 foot on T posts

5 foot out plywood full of screws laid flat and in front of windows

barrels or tires full of dirt some sharpened stakes sticking out

crisscross in between all this with 20 pound test line and single Ought treble hooks

and post holes zigzag pattern about a foot deep and a foot in diameter put a plywood nail board in each

bottles and empty metal cans in between

windows with plywood should have crosses cut out 3 inches wide for weapons ports and nails or screws

permeating

doors should have 1/2 inch plywood with like a bed of nails screwed to them and a cross wise sheet

anchored to the ground or deck concrete what ever

a gallon pump up sprayer with gas set to stream not spray

if you want it can be ammonia

even if I lived in an apartment I would have a roll of barbed wire and some nails and screws and some 1x 4 boards hammer and fencing pliers most people do not like barbed wire

Ditto on the window security film,and consider using normal sheet metal or wood screws,depending upon your window frames, to screw into the frame just above the sliding windows enough so that the window cannot be lifted out of it's frame. All sliding windows can be lifted out easily even if they have a "lock", you jiggle the lock enough and out it comes every time. We've "screwed in" all of our ground floor sliders so they cannot be lifted out and all windows on all floors have the window security film. It won't prevent someone from breaking them, it WILL slow them down enough to be "greeted".

also, ditto on the range cards for your neighborhood. We've got several like minded neighbors and all of us have ranged our neighbors homes so that we CAN (if needed) supplement their defensive measures in a severe situation. We've already taken the step of "greeting" anyone transiting the neighborhood, so that the outsiders "know" they've been ID'd and spotted. Has kept burglary attempts very low....so far. Hope this helps. Our dogs are also "inside dogs", the dog hair is an easy price to pay for their peace of mind.

Im just going to remind everyone of the advantage of the first 24 hours that those who are ready will have a better chance.

First hours,most wont do anything and will wait and see.Others will over react and clog the streets and stores, the fights and mahem from there will be the start of the fall,police will be over run,streets jambed.36 hours and your eather buged in or on your way to a safe location or you stuck on a major interstate and thats not good.I have a major Interstate 15 miles from my home and have traveled it many times and there are many miles and mountains between the exits and a major Tunnel to go through.

Im very much in a small town near the Va and Wv border,and plenty of Country folks,The small center of town has many "CRACK HEADS" and they are my consern,We have a rail road shop(maintance) in this town and hundres of RR cars sitting around,Coal trains are constant and if they stop well you know what happens next.

I cleaned my chimmney this week to make sure it is ok,while I was on the roof

i took a Tactical look at my surrounds and neighbors.

All in all my area is different from anyone else,so at least look around now while you can and use all the advice that was given here.We can never be completely ready because we just dont know.

If I knew for sure I would Bug out to Texas and live with JCMS,if he would have me.JMHO..

Im just going to remind everyone of the advantage of the first 24 hours that those who are ready will have a better chance.

First hours,most wont do anything and will wait and see.Others will over react and clog the streets and stores, the fights and mahem from there will be the start of the fall,police will be over run,streets jambed.36 hours and your eather buged in or on your way to a safe location or you stuck on a major interstate and thats not good. ..

very correct. we think alike here on this.

This is always on my mind. I have a couple of places I call home since I'm at school half the week and at my condo on the weekends. The apt at school offers very little in the way of protection. While it's on the second floor, I have a sliding glass door out onto a balcony with a ladder to the ground. The windows and front door aren't an issue though. At least I am more or less out in the middle of nowhere and the chance of roving gangs of people is relatively slim.

On the other hand, my condo at home with my fiance is better fortified (a front locking door to get into the building and a dual locked door to the condo itself). However, it is also in a more populated area. Getting into the unit itself would prove difficult as we are on the third floor. However the problem comes down to over all preparedness. She really doesn't like to do the prepping herself and we are on extremely limited funds. I do what I can but over all we aren't close to where I'd want to be for preparedness. My plans include blackout curtains to prevent what little light candles produce and a 2x6 to jam the front door if needed. So more or less it comes down to just hoping no one notices we're there in the case of shit hits the fan. Getting out of dodge is likely to be safest option if the situation goes bad.

Sorry to say, but the Bug-In Castle approach for the average home near a high density area is a lost cause. While it would be prudent to take every precaution you can to make access as difficult as possible (alarm system, heavy doors with reinforced frames, etc.) the truth is that given a determined enemy in a real SHTF scenario there is 0% chance of effectively defending the average home for very long. If you had a well armed troop, maybe. But alone, you will merely be stretching out the inevitable.

Truthfuly, if your within 10 miles of a major metropolitan area or traffic artery I would consider relocating to a safer local. Ideally a rural property with at least 10 acres and a home out of view from the road would be ideal.

Ideally I would build a home out of either full sized logs or stone (granite) with a full sized basement. Square log cabin design with an loft will be easiest to keep warm. Limit windows and doors on the main level. Out of sight from the road you can install metal bars on the windows, or better yet you can have a good welder fabricate 1/2 steel metal shutters with slits that can be closed shut in a pinch. You can also install a hardwood door with 1/2 steel plate sandwiched in between. I would also install a slate or metal roof to prevent being burned out.

At this point you can install a good wood burning stove (not a fireplace). You can use the stove to heat the home and cook. Solar panels, a good hand pump for well water, a vegetable garden, goats, chickens, rabbits, and enough food in the basement for 1 year and your all set.

Be sure to insulate the home well. 12 inch thick walls and plently of insulation in the ceiling will reduce your need for wood in the winter and keep your home cool in the summer. A light colored reflective roof will also keep the home cool, if you live in the a cooler climate black will absorb heat in the winter.

Off the beaten path you can set up some good perimeter defenses and early warning systems.

My biggest concern is securing the house. I also have a lot of windows and that is the weakest link. Security bars would be great on the lower floor windows, but my wife doesn't like the idea. What I might do is weld up some bars and have them ready to install if things start to get sketchy. I've bee

Smokecheck,

Have you thought about security shutters?

http://www.rollupshutter.com/products/index.asp

http://www.alutech.com/products/alu-star-roll-shutters/privacy-security-shutters/index.htm

IF or When the looting begins, I will make my home "look looted" and "there must be easier targets". I'm in my late 60s. I will throw trash around the yard. I'll remove fence boards in the back between our friend's house and ours. These boards are vital for our defense.

Every board will be filled with rows of nails and pointed screws sticking out. These I will nail or screw into the sides and sills of Every Window and Door. Below all windows - IF someone wants to crawl through those - will be - nailed to the floor - dozens of these 'Spikes covered boards' to land on. There will be traps and tip wires around every entrance. (Think 'Home Alone' the movie)

We have a safe room but it's not Hollywood. IF my wife and I can make it there, we could keep people out for a short while - But - it only buys us time to consider our options.

IF we had some advance notice of 'crowds' fleeing the downtown, I would organize what's left of our neighborhood. We can make "Pacts" to help one another if trouble finds us.

I'm a husband, father, Marine and human being. The first adult conversation I had with my father was after he returned from Korea. He told me, "When you are in the foxhole, you don't care about the race or religion of the man who is with you. You ONLY care if he is on your side."

Ego, stupidity and greed has brought us to this cliff. The future looks a 1000' down to rocks. We can't go back. The only way out is down. Faced with this reality, let us leap from this dangerous situation AND FLY.

The only way I can take care of my family is IF I'm still alive. Defending myself and my community is vital. Sun Tsu "The Art of War" - The greatest victories are the ones which are won without fighting.

IF that doesn't work, inflict the most amount of damage in the shortest amount of time - with the least amount of damage to you and yours.

Life isn't ALL Doom and Gloom; Enjoy the Wonders that Exist also. Find Your Balance in this debate. Don't focus only on the bad. In survival, it's usually the positive attitude that prevails.

Be Honest and Be Excellent!

Click here to Subscribe to My "Common Sense Survival Tips" newsletter.

Have you ever been in a Riot? and looting? I have.60s in Detroit and its not pretty.Mass disorder,but as soon as a gun went off everyone hit the ground.Only cowards steal during this time of disorder and them that think they will get away with it. During my time in south Florida a sighn was posted in my neighborhood right before a storm.Looters we be shot.

nuff said..

Paul and Jack,

Interesting posts. Of course if moving to the 'big sky' country and becoming a clone of the Uni-bomber is not possible, the posts that say MOVE are not much help. Second, you build a square block cabin and any half way decent assault leader has you cold turkey. None of us makes it if we come up against the 101st Airborne or even the local sheriff's office. Any large, well armed force will either over run an impromptu defense or inflict unacceptable casualties.

Booby traps in all windows may sound cool but I fear it is very much in line with a mall ninja mentality. I understand the effectiveness of booby traps but have you considered how you are going to get out through those traps when the MZB set fire to the place? People die every year (almost lost a family in Houston 2 nights ago) because burglar bars prevented the emergency personnel from getting to them.

Remember, this is NOT a war or combat op. This is survival. It is not acceptable, morally, legally, or ethically to utilize full up combat tactics against refugees. This is the US, not Bosnia and murder of refugees has been condemned by every civilized society on the planet. If your concept of TSHTF is Mad Max and you are willing to sink to that level, that is your choice. If you start shooting refugees, you are going to have big problems if this is not the end of the world.

If you plan to 'organize' the neighborhood while the horde is on the way, I fear you are going to be sorely disappointed with the result. It took the military a couple of months to turn you into a basic trained GI. It is a nice thought that you can get all your neighbors together, armed up, establish defensive positions, communications, medic services, a rapid reaction force and hold the line against a superior force. In addition, you have to do this without violating any law that you are going to get hit with after law enforcement shows up.

While I don't particularly think the MZB hordes are a realistic threat for logistical reasons

( see http://survivalcache.com/tooth-or-tail-survival/ )

if I'm wrong, then I can only E&E out of the area. Every artilleryman knows that a determined enemy, who is willing to pay the price will get through and over run a position. If you do manage to hold, what are you going to do with the bodies? Who is standing security why you are burying the dead, yours and theirs. What do you consider acceptable loses in your scenario. You will lose people in a combat encounter and I don't want to lose any of my family.

Sorry guys, I recommend you seriously rethink your TSHTF scenario. This thread is here to help folks who can not bug out for what ever reason. There are other threads for bugging out. Being required to be employed to provide for my family does limit how far out into the boonies I can go. I don't have the resources to equip an infantry squad, much less a full company and in the case of defending a sub-division against a major attack, nothing less that a company is big enough. Location, age, and health dictate bugging in in my case. The purpose is to survive to be part of the rebuilding of society for our kids. Major combat is not part of that plan.

my storm shutters are 3/4 inch ply wood with marked grid for screws and 1 inch view holes

and are prefit for the windows and all windows have cactus

growing in beds around them.

doors are steel commercial and open out and have cross bars inside I have precut 1x1 cattle gauge

cattle panel and razor wire also have a couple rolls of barbed wire.

I have plywood for approach decks {bed of nails and drywall screws} and to face doors with

you cannot charge a door full of 3 inch drywall screws while steeping on them too.

I have other methods of preventing approach and cannot be implemented until the TIME

New here and i have been prepping for over two years, i turned my 24x24 shop into my store room for food ammo and supplies, with enough food and water for me and the wife for several months. I am looking for fellow preppers in the Columbia area who we can share ideas . I am about to build my Bug Out Trailer , I have been getting my BOV ready with a lot of little mods, we are both gun lovers and big hunters, we love to camp in the swamp and at the river near our house.

if there is a group or even someone in the area who would like to get in touch with us on here i think i have a lot to bring to the table.

SSG US Army VET

Edited by Outlaw

Outlaw,

Welcome, Sarge. I HATE swamps, I more of a desert rat so, of course I live between Houston and Galveston. Some planning! Looking forward to your posts and comments. I've been thinking about a BOT (Bug Out Trailer - just made up a new one B)) myself.

If you would be willing to keep a running commentary on your build out, I'll open a BOT thread. I suspect I'm not the only one who would be interested.

your Ok it your family I ain't sure of LOL

LOL

Remember the song "the John Birch Society" by the Chad Mitchell Trio?

The line I loved was

"There's no one left but Thee and We and We're not sure of Thee"

Default, Another point to what Capt Bart said; if you build under a chicken coop or other outbuilding, you can hide the air vents for fresh air inside the walls. You can add air vents (louvre style) to get fresh air without a "tell-tale" sign. The thing with going underground, is ensuring you get fresh air, or a bunker becomes a crypt. If possible, tree stumps and other "natural" concealment can be used and have multiple air vents in case one becomes plugged or if a fire removes the one hid inside building walls. Filters can be gotten and installed to minimize risk of pathogens or other "unwanted airborne visitors".

"bunkers becoming crypts" is why i wouldnt go underground for any real length of time if at all.

I would have to say this is probably one of my biggest fears. Not really interested in being buried alive. The other would have to be being burned (or smoked) out. Probably why I keep so many stinkin' fire extinguishers around the house.

...However the problem comes down to over all preparedness. She really doesn't like to do the prepping herself and we are on extremely limited funds. I do what I can but over all we aren't close to where I'd want to be for preparedness. My plans include blackout curtains to prevent what little light candles produce and a 2x6 to jam the front door if needed. So more or less it comes down to just hoping no one notices we're there in the case of shit hits the fan. Getting out of dodge is likely to be safest option if the situation goes bad.

Consider little things like changing your diet a little. If you start eating rice a few times a week then the 10 pound bag of rice is convenient to have on hand. and the bags don't really close back up so you keep in in a food grade bucket. If she doesn't like you having survival supplies then pick up hobbies like making bread from scratch or learning to make beef jerky. If you can make your survival food taste better then off the shelf food you can justify having a lot. In fact just liking to cook a lot as a hobby justifies owning a lot or diverse foods.

If you can make your survival food taste better then off the shelf food you can justify having a lot. In fact just liking to cook a lot as a hobby justifies owning a lot or diverse foods.

+1 for this!