Sign in to follow this  
Regulator5

When training can become SHTF

There are times when I feel like a broken record. Ever want to just post - "What I said!" and go away?

As Dr. Neil Tyson has said "Nature is NOT your Friend. She wants to KILL you!". With that as a given, why in the name of all common sense and what ever deity you may or may not believe it (can you tell I'm about to get an inclusiveness class at work? Gotta prep for keeping my job:p) DO NOT BE IN CONDITION WHITE IN THE WOODS. There are creatures and critters out there that consider you lunch. Know where you step and if it doesn't look right, don't put your foot there!

I've hung out in places where pot growers leave these 'little presents' for the revenuers so you learn to be careful. For these punks? Attempted murder sounds about right. Oh, for the record, I think the punishment for 'attempted' anything should be the same as the punishment for the crime. Why do we reward criminals for being incompetent by giving them lesser sentences? Somehow, 'yes, I know you tried to kill me but because you were bad at it I'm only going to send you to prison for 5 years so you can learn from other criminals and be better at it the next time you try'. In what universe is this a RATIONAL approach?

I'm grumpy today so be tolerant of the old guy, please.

Just my not so humble (and some what grumpy) opinion.

Capt the way the laws work for it to be murder there has to be an intended victim. Other wise it's manslaughter. I don't know how an attempted manslaughter or conspiracy to commit manslaughter case would go over.

Though this is clearly a man trap which is illegal in the US.

Funny thing is I just came from a thread where people were in favor of setting pipe bomb traps in their yard.

When I do it to you, it is self defense: when YOU do it to ME, it is a crime! Oh, I hear you and agree. What you might get away with after TEOTWAWKI will get you prison time before hand. I don't like booby traps because they are just too bloody indiscriminate. If I set one and it harms someone, I'm responsible. Mine fields in combat zones are one thing. They are supposed to be pulled up after their use but I frankly prefer command detonated varieties. Other ways exist to channel attacks - I don't like booby traps.

You're also correct, conspiracy to commit manslaughter probably would never fly. These clowns are most likely looking at a 'criminal mischief' charge or some such. Oh, well.

Thanks for sharing this link man I hadn't seen that story. I have been in some pretty hairy situations while I was "training" and I can tell you it really gives you a better sense of the gravity of survival in a SHTF scenario.

Even when you are really confident in your wilderness survival skills, external forces can throw a wrench into your plans and REALLY test you.

I lost my truck once in the mountains because I was really too dehydrated and malnourished to be making intelligent decisions and I had to build one of those Les Stroud type survival shelters out of what I could find because I couldn't get back to my base camp. It was not fun to sleep in let me tell you... I woke up with spiders on every inch of the inside of my shelter and I couldn't find my flashlight to see what my dog was freaking out about.

Thank God I had my dog with me if it wasn't for her I am not sure if I would have been able to make my way back to the truck but she was able to remember the way back when she decided she had enough fun playing in the woods and wanted to go the hell home.

Pitch black darkness inside a crappy makeshift shelter full of spiders and no idea when, if ever I would find my way back to my truck for a full 24 hours was not fun, especially with almost no water left and very little food because the majority was in my cooler inside my truck...

Keeping your cool and not panicking is the key whether your training or not, and train like its really SHTF. When you have a close call or situation that is really unsettling it only makes you stronger and it validates the survival skills you have acquired.

Thanks for sharing this link man I hadn't seen that story. I have been in some pretty hairy situations while I was "training" and I can tell you it really gives you a better sense of the gravity of survival in a SHTF scenario.

Even when you are really confident in your wilderness survival skills, external forces can throw a wrench into your plans and REALLY test you.

I lost my truck once in the mountains because I was really too dehydrated and malnourished to be making intelligent decisions and I had to build one of those Les Stroud type survival shelters out of what I could find because I couldn't get back to my base camp. It was not fun to sleep in let me tell you... I woke up with spiders on every inch of the inside of my shelter and I couldn't find my flashlight to see what my dog was freaking out about.

Thank God I had my dog with me if it wasn't for her I am not sure if I would have been able to make my way back to the truck but she was able to remember the way back when she decided she had enough fun playing in the woods and wanted to go the hell home.

Pitch black darkness inside a crappy makeshift shelter full of spiders and no idea when, if ever I would find my way back to my truck for a full 24 hours was not fun, especially with almost no water left and very little food because the majority was in my cooler inside my truck...

Keeping your cool and not panicking is the key whether your training or not, and train like its really SHTF. When you have a close call or situation that is really unsettling it only makes you stronger and it validates the survival skills you have acquired.

Judah,

welcome to the sites, sir, and thank you for sharing. Modern folks just don't seem to realize how incredibly fast TSHTF event can happen. The number of times folks have only been yards from their camp when the animal got them or they fell or they got turned around or ??? should be a lesson but unfortunately, it usually is not. Telling folks that if you are in the woods alone, you are exactly one fall away from being dead is usually not effective. They figure they won't fall! That or "they" will come and find them.

The time to find out you can not survive without your support systems is NOT when you are off on your own without those systems! Never willingly nominate yourself for the Darwin Award. Even an Honorable Mention is painful!

Judah, glad you made it out.

Capt, I agree that too many times just being in an unfamiliar enviroment (nature) has led people to have a SHTF moment on a basic outing. Too many people seem to think that as long as they are on a State or National Park, nothing bad can happen. Being complacent or just naive probably accounts for more outdoor hobby injuries/deaths than actual accidents (whether a fall or animal predator).

Familiar areas are just as bad because it's a false sense of security.

"I know this area and all the hazards here." then something unexpected happens or even the expected happens and takes you out.

Spot on, Auto. I am amazed at the number of folks who step OVER logs and rocks while out walking around in the tall and uncut; even in suburbia that is a recipe for meeting a nasty crawling thing that is just on the other side of the log. NEVER put your foot or hand were you can not see what is there. Of course, you also have to actually LOOK while walking. We get 7 foot gators around the high priced subdivisions here. Seems all those beautiful lakes and ponds fit the gators life style and if there isn't enough aquatic food there is always 'Fluffy'.

NEVER be in condition white; it will get you dead.

Familiar areas are just as bad because it's a false sense of security.

"I know this area and all the hazards here." then something unexpected happens or even the expected happens and takes you out.

Auto I agree. Isn't the stats for most car accidents within 5 miles of home? I can't remember for sure, just remember it was close. This falls into the same "familiar area" and complacency.

I actually just had this conversation with my Dad this morning... He and my nephew (9 yr old) was going out to 1 of the cousin's to visit and do some foraging. I asked if my nephew had his knife on him? Dad said he didn't think so and didn't think about it, as he always has his. My nephew didn't take his gear. This is a bad habit and the habit needs to be instilled young that even tho they are "just" going to the 100 acre farm, always have the bare essentials. My nephew has a full set up of LBE (Load Bearing Equipment) which I have given out of my old gear. Dad set him up and my nephew is in full strut when he wears it...lol. I don't think full gear is required, but now I know I need to get a small pack of some kind to keep basic first aid, space blanket, water bottle, firestarter so he doesn't have to wear the LBE and yet have the basics.

The younger we instill it, the better prepared they will be when they get older and do NOT have OUR habits and experience to use as a safety net. I even have a mini multi tool and small pocket knife I make my 4 yr old carry when we go fishing. I just want to instill this life saving habit as early as possible. I know I learned from just the conversation with my Dad this morning and it's already making me rethink how I go about planning or being ready for a day trip or a "spur of the moment" trip to take advantage of some down time, especially with kids in the picture. Just a thought to add for further discourse.

I don't even know where to start with my friends who's plans start and end with 1/2 litter of water. and always steal my water or expect me to have a water filter on me. I refuse to do serious hiking with people who wont at least carry the basics.

Or they bring 1 granola bar for a 3 day camp out without any gear or plan for foraging food.

Reg 5,

Spot on, sir. Teach them young and it sticks. If I thought I would actually NEED my survival gear on a particular trip, I WOULD NOT GO!

I always carry it because I don't know when the black swan will coming swimming up stream and bite me on the rump!

its because of idiots like these that preppers have a bad name im all for using tripwires and such for a warning not to cause harm youll never knoow when youll hurt somebody unintentionally with booby traps

its because of idiots like these that preppers have a bad name im all for using tripwires and such for a warning not to cause harm youll never knoow when youll hurt somebody unintentionally with booby traps

Just so, sir. A good noisy trip wire is a wonderful thing. It might even keep some poor benighted soul from meeting his Maker on unfriendly terms if the noise encourages him to be somewhere else. Warning devices are one thing; maiming or killing is something else entirely.

Edited by Capt Bart

I honestly hope the government reads this thread so they will know that at least some of us are not crazy terrorists out to hurt the government but we are in fact normal people who just like to be prepared for emergencies

I honestly hope the government reads this thread so they will know that at least some of us are not crazy terrorists out to hurt the government but we are in fact normal people who just like to be prepared for emergencies

ZM,

I doubt that those in the govt. that worry about such things care a tinker's dam (a small earthen dam used by tinsmiths and tinkers to mold 'white' medals) about our intentions. They only care about our ability to be forced to follow their orders. GRUMP!

knowing enough to take the right gear (like compass,notepad, pencil, watch,  water, filter, headlamp, tarp, hammock, rental satellite phone, sleeping pills, big strong, competent friend) is a big help. :-)