Sign in to follow this  
sassieroses

Gardening and not using Heirlooms

I got rid of my swimming pool this year and have some pretty lofty goals as I turn my backyard into my idea of gardening heaven. And my hubby's idea of oh God ANOTHER hobby! LOL ;)

Anyway, I am doing a combination of square foot gardening and container gardening but I did not purchase heirloom seeds and plants. Was this a major screwup on my part? What do you guys think?

Guest survival101

Hi, sassie, nice to meet you. IMO you didn't make a mistake at all. YES. You should be using heirlooms this year, but if that wasn't possible in your time frame, then don't worry. You can still purchase heirloom seeds and begin a seed bank now, for next year, and the future. In the meantime, set up your garden, begin to test what works and what doesn't and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Getting back into gardening, or into it for the first time, you will need some time to get some experience. Go forward knowing you are ahead of the majority of the rest of our nation.

I got rid of my swimming pool this year and have some pretty lofty goals as I turn my backyard into my idea of gardening heaven. And my hubby's idea of oh God ANOTHER hobby! LOL ;)

Anyway, I am doing a combination of square foot gardening and container gardening but I did not purchase heirloom seeds and plants. Was this a major screwup on my part? What do you guys think?

I find it interesting that survivalist gardening guides strongly suggest using 'Heirloom' breeds. WHile current Pre-SHTF gardening stores offer all hybrid breeds anyone could ever imagine. it makes me think there is a known genetic problems any/all hybrids; urging us to use Heirloom, thereby possibly pressing RESET on all gardening and farming breeds.

I find it interesting that survivalist gardening guides strongly suggest using 'Heirloom' breeds. WHile current Pre-SHTF gardening stores offer all hybrid breeds anyone could ever imagine. it makes me think there is a known genetic problems any/all hybrids; urging us to use Heirloom, thereby possibly pressing RESET on all gardening and farming breeds.

Navy, the prepping sources push heirlooms for long term viability. You have to buy hybrids or have an agronomy lab and training. Heirlooms allows you to save your own seeds year after year.

I use heirlooms because they aren't mutated from their natural state in a lab. Heirlooms offer better nutrition, as all the vitamins and minerals are in their natural balance for absorbtion and use by the body, whereas hybrids lose certain values to gain the disease, drought, pest resistance they are bred for. Hybrids are also designed to produce higher yields and even resist the chemicals used for agribusiness pest and weed control. JMHO

Okay that makes me feel better. My goal is self sustainablity (well as close as I can get where I live anyway), I just wasn't informed at the beginning of this little venture. Now I'm going to start researching how to start my seed bank.

Look at the seed company thread Sassie. It will give you at least a place to begin research. There are several posts with links to different seed companies. Good luck and hope your neighbors envy is as green as your thumb.