Sign in to follow this  
NovicePrepper

7.62X54R: Common in a SHTF scenario or not?

My next gun purchase will either be a PSL (7.62X54R) or a Saiga in .308.

Lets leave the Saiga out of the question, because I know .308 will be common in a SHTF scenario.

No, I don't own a Nagant, (Although sometime in the future I will definitely buy an M44 Nagant) so this is the first time 7.62X54R availability is really a concern for me.

No, I am not taking into account the PSL's quality control or accuracy, for now just the ammo availability. I know that the ammo is cheap, but I heard it isn't very common, and I don't remember ever seeing it at the local gun store. (Then again, I was never looking for it!)

So, what are the average prices/availability on the ammo? Prices on bulk non-corrosive rounds would be appreciated.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1CPSL

Walmart has the Tula Brand. I think theyre around $12 for 20? I always just pick up surplus. $80-90 for a 440 can. If youre looking for availability in SHTF Youre taking a risk. Id feel more comfortable with the 308

Noviceprepper,

Don't let the corrosive nature of the amo dissuade you. Easy to deal with so long as you clean after you fire. This ammo is not real common but you can stockpile it pretty easy and cheap for the moment. Surplus seems to be drying up, or at least the pipeline seems to be getting narrower, but as you noted, can still get a spam can of 440 rounds for $77 at Ammotogo. Academy just started carrying and places like Gander and Cabela's have been stocking. I have an M-44 and that rifle is just a ton of fun. Never tried the PSL, though. For price comparisons, just use one of the ammo search engines to get started.

Noviceprepper,

Don't let the corrosive nature of the amo dissuade you. Easy to deal with so long as you clean after you fire. This ammo is not real common but you can stockpile it pretty easy and cheap for the moment. Surplus seems to be drying up, or at least the pipeline seems to be getting narrower, but as you noted, can still get a spam can of 440 rounds for $77 at Ammotogo. Academy just started carrying and places like Gander and Cabela's have been stocking. I have an M-44 and that rifle is just a ton of fun. Never tried the PSL, though. For price comparisons, just use one of the ammo search engines to get started.

AIM SURPLUS Inc. has it for $74 a can.

No, it is not a common round in fact even in Russia and former warsaw pact countries it is becoming less common. If you plan on using it plan on stock piling an extremely large quantity of this cartridge in multiple secure locations to ensure an adequate supply.

No, it is not a common round in fact even in Russia and former warsaw pact countries it is becoming less common. If you plan on using it plan on stock piling an extremely large quantity of this cartridge in multiple secure locations to ensure an adequate supply.

this.. it is cheap but definitely not common I have a M44 carbine and luckily you can buy the old surplus corrosive shit for cheap as hell just remember it is corrosive though. just like 5.45x39 also cheap and an excellent round but again not common. im trying to stockpile on both calibers right now

I've stocked a dozen or so crates of 7.62X39 corrosive ammo for my CZ 858's. Each crate holds 1,180 rds.

I'm glad i got them 16 years ago, thats when i paid $65 a crate. They now cost about $225 plus taxes a crate. In Canada.

its bad when old surplus corrosive ammo is that expensive

No kidding. 303 surplus corrosive ammo is very hard to find these days in canada. When i attend gun shows, if & when they do show up, venders are asking $1 to $1.50 a piece for them. Commercial ammo at gun stores go for about $19 plus taxes for a box of 20rds. Surplus ammo do last longer than commercial ammo for those that don't know that.

Sorry NovicePrepper for going off topic here. Back to the OP of 7.62X54R ammo.

Edited by P210SIG

P210SIG, the price of 303 is why I waited on an Ishapore Enfield in 308. Great rifle, and chambered in a more common, though not cheaper, round. Old, surplus corrosive ammo is only relatively more expensive, but as people keep pointing out on this site, it is not the price going up it is the dollar going down.

On the other hand, since I don't reload yet, I would rather have 10,000 of a relatively scarce round than 1,000 of a common caliber in the event of SHTF, but that is just my opinion.

Ehh, maybe I will just go with the Saiga.

After doing more research, I have heard horrid things about the PSL's. Saiga's have a better track record and .308 is more common.

the PSL is just a cheap romanian knock off of the russian SVD sniper rifle, which if you can find an original is many times more expensive, that has always been the issue with russian weaponry, their bullets have always been more accurate than the rifles they designed to shoot them. I for one love the ballistic of most russian ammo, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 5.45x39.

I have been interested in is the Yugo M76 rifle because 8mm has great long range ballistics and is cheaper than 30.06 to get just don't know much about the rifle

http://www.jgsales.com/yugoslavian-m76-sporter-rifle-with-scope,-in-8mm.-backordered-p-1542.html

The Molsin Nagant 91/30 is one of the best low cost survival rifles one can buy. cost of the rifle is under 140.00 and 440 rds of 7.52X54 is about 82.00 for surplus ammo. this means one can survive a while under andy situation that arrives.

Range 400 + yards. one one round killing capabilite. more then plenty for self defense or 72 hrs bug out.

As a all round cartridge I wouldn't go with the 7.62x54. It's to big for small game. For defence the nagant is to bulky and slow cycling for my taste.

However if you are just looking for a large game firearm/cartridge I would say go for it.

Ammo may be hard to find , but with the price of a 440 spam can at less than $80 and the rifle for around $125, you can have years worth of deer/hog hunting for $200. Thats damn cheap!

I own a nagant and view it for what it is.....an under priced 30-06ish hunting rifle that I need to plan on having all the ammo stockpiled for BEFORE the price jumps.

Another thought is the more people who buy the rifle the more likely some company will start producing the round, and they are selling like hotcakes.

Like PIG, I have an M-N, mine is a carbine that has been sporterized and counter.bored. It is extremely accurate, flat shooting, and I have also hoarded a large stockpile of ammo, and reloading supplies for the 7.62X54R caliber. I feel comfortable with my preps so far for that caliber.

BTW, the bolt on mine is a bent-bolt to work with the scope on it, and it is a short FAST throw.

If your question is will you be able to find any 'laying around' the answer is probably not. You will need to stock or reload all you'll ever have and Russian cases can be a problem to reload because of the type primers they use.

If you are asking can you get the ammo now and stock up, the answer seems to be it is readily available although the price seems to be going up.

7.62X54R is easily found around here but we pay a lot more than most folks do. We pay $120 for one can and that is the lower prices. It seems that half of the people at the ranges to which I belong have Nagants. I have one rifle that shoots it so I just stocked up on it so we have a large supply on hand. I rarely shoot it so the ammo will last a long time.

But, if people are afraid of running out of any ammo, they ought to learn how to reload. You can precisely control the quality of your ammo and how much you have on hand ready to go. I think that all preppers that have firearms for hunting and for protection should learn how to reload. To fail to do so leaves one ill-prepared for long-term survival… even if you have large stores of ammo.

On the topic of 7.62x54R, have any of you guys picked up an SVT-40? It is a semi-auto rifle, fires the same round as the M-N, and features a 10 round detachable magazine. Not common in the states but available in Canada so I am told. In my experience, pretty reliable and easy to work on with replacement parts and spare magazines available from Numrich.