Sign in to follow this  
wrattlerking

Long distance survival

This question is for people like me who have family in other states or even continents. If a major SHTF incedent happens and you find yourself needing to get to your loved ones who live really far away how do you plan on getting there. Now if you can get there with one tank of gas then your family doesnt live that far.

Im stationed in Texas and my family lives north of Atlanta but my wife lives in Germany. So im still constructing a plan.

Yea Atl will definitely be a hotspot but my family lives roughly 2 hrs North of it and you gotta take some back roads to get to their house. My wife is German so i cant take her away from her family just like that. So my plans are to get to my Fam in GA let them know im ok and then take a trip to the east coast and find a cruise ship or cargo boat some kinda big boat and hitch a ride. Plan B involves a plane and flying over the Atlantic

JMO..

Poland is the most secure place in Europe.Have her there waiting because Germany will be in a bigger trouble than what people think.

Gdańsk..Gdańsk is Poland's principal seaport as well as the capital of the Pomeranian Voivodeship. It is also historically the largest city of the Kashubian region.

So you have sea travel there coming and going..just in case..

JMO..

When shtf, I would not bank on any over sea travel.

Those that are close enough to help or be helped should already be there. Any kind of travel will very dangerous for many reasons.

I have many loved ones that are far away. They know they are on there own. Part of the reason I preach for them to prep.

I wish you much luck wrattlerking. I guess if there is enough warning something can be done.

Wrattler, I too can be long distance from home/family. At any point in my work "2" weeks, I can be over 1000 miles from home and never know exactly where I'll be except for my first appointment. I am only 90% certain it will be somewhere East of the "Big Muddy". I prefer a 22lr rifle, Savage bolt action w/ scope for my long arm and I carry a sidearm in 40 for if I need extra stopping power. I plan on driving until fuel is gone and then I will hoof it and hope I can get back to our BOL.

I agree with the others in that overseas travel will be a major issue if an event happens. I too wish you luck and Godspeed on the endeavor if anything happens.

First you have to decide what your going to do (not attempt). Sounds like your for sure going to go check in with your parents in the Atlanta area. Second you are going to leave for Germany to get to your wife. If you would consider modifying that somewhat...

Invest in some ham radios for you, your parents and your wife. You might be able to skip the trip to your parents if you are in contact with them already via shortwave. Then you drive to ports and see what you can do to find a berth on a ship heading to europe. Either buy passage with something tangible (gold/silver), work as a crewman, or perhaps hire on as security if you are armed.

I would also invest in a -good- bycicle and rack for your car. Because hopefully you will be able to drive until you find a ship, but if for whatever reason you cant, a bike would be 10x better than having to walk.

My parents, sister, and grandma are 500 miles away. I'm not too worried about them. If my sis can get to our parents she'll be fine between what they have and what Grandmas got put up. I'd only need to get to them if I needed to bug out. Depending on the situation, it might not be feasible. We keep extra gas in the garage, but we'd have to get through Chicago or go around. I think best bet for me would be to stay where I am.

My parents, sister, and grandma are 500 miles away. I'm not too worried about them. If my sis can get to our parents she'll be fine between what they have and what Grandmas got put up. I'd only need to get to them if I needed to bug out. Depending on the situation, it might not be feasible. We keep extra gas in the garage, but we'd have to get through Chicago or go around. I think best bet for me would be to stay where I am.

hope you ain't got a gas water heater in the garage or you won't have to worry about that meeting.

Wife and I live in Metro Detroit... No real dependable "friends". I have no family within 400miles. She has a family about 100miles away who neither of us can stand at all. And likely wont be of any help in any capacity, just majorly annoying, know-it-all, bossy biotch, and 99.999% chance they aren't preppers.

My family 400miles way wouldn't be any help as preppers either, but we get along with them alot better.

I'm in a preppers-quandary of sorts. Being in the middle of Major Metro I'd likely be in the middle of the chaos and if not, I can't depend on the main roads as a method of escape.

#1 Get out of Major Metro and hide-out for few days until the terror of the situation wears off, about 25 miles out of town. Have 72hour kit for each, me and wife. Bug-In is not an option.

Now for the problem: I don't have a location to cache any additional supplies. Having no freinds or family anywhere close. My only option for stashing a cache would be to get a small storage unit along my hide-out route. But that kinda breaks my rules for real-life practicality. On the other side of the argument: paying $20 for a 5'x5', its the same as paying for any kind of insurance (car, home, whatever). You may not need it, but if something happens you better have it. THis is where I would be storing a more equiped BOB with more long-term supplies.

NavyVet_77

I think you could buy a few buckets of the WISE bran food in buckets and some 5 gallon auto

jugs for water and your weapons ammo and other gear and do not forget to have extra vehicle fuel

some cash and whatever you think you can get comfortably in your ride / portable BOL..