Sign in to follow this  
jerry9491

Wire saws

I own one for some time now like 14 years. Personally they suck big time, way too much energy is used to cut tree branches. Your better off with a axe or hatchet, though they weigh more than a wire sew. You'll be better served with a axe & less time wasted getting fire wood or making shelter.

Edited by P210SIG

I own one for some time now like 14 years. Personally they suck big time, way too much energy is used to cut tree branches. Your better off with a axe or hatchet, though they weigh more than a wire sew. You'll be better served with a axe.

Have you set it up as a bow saw? Just curious. Personally I think I use way too much energy cutting tree branches no matter what I have to use, even if its a chainsaw lol.

Is there anything else they could be used for?

Agree with P210SIG

a folding saw or machete with a back saw and I carry a Swiss army Champion has a saw for small work,

Any serious survivalist or even passive person should have one, 2 are better than one of anything.

If all you had was an Champion there is little you could not make or repair or make defenses and weapons.

Swiss Army Champion Plus Features:

Large Blade

Small Blade

File

Saw

Scissors

Magnifying Glass

Can Opener

Bottle Opener

Small, Medium Flathead Screwdrivers

Large Phillips Screwdriver

Ruler (inches & centimeters)

Wire Stripper

Corkscrew

Chisel

Reamer

Hook

Punch with Sewing Eye

Pen

Toothpick

Tweezers I trap a sewing needle in it stays put.

Key Ring

[ATTACH=CONFIG]962[/ATTACH]

the key to using any tool in survival is patients and concentration a broken tool can be the difference

between success failure.

A basic survival kit is a Swiss army champion

crank flashlight radio /flashlight/cell charger

survival / first aid butt pack w/ belt make your own

meds bandages ace bandage tube tent emergency blanket in water proof bag 55 gal HD trash bags

keep adding to this travel size stuff is available everywhere bic lighters fire starter etc. etc.

and 100 foot of para cord, couple of carabiners

saw back a machete

a large poncho

and a quart stainless steel water bottle

All of this will fit on a belt add a bug out bag BOB with hiking food some other survival items

and secondary clothing for coverage and warmth and good walking shoes or good fitting rubber boots

depending on and in extreme cases especially your climate.

I keep a comfortable nylon folding chair and a couple gallons of water or bottled case of water

having been stuck in traffic for 4 hours in the Texas summer and no food or water or shade

or in the north blizzards happen and an oil lamp and a quart of oil is in order just make sure to crack your

window your NOT going to like it.

I know this was about wire saws but I am taking this opportunity to inform those who are casual to

novice or just curious and never intend to camp or hike or even interested in such things.

all these items can be used to keep the injured warm and dry if a event strands you at work or on

the road you have the basics to be a first responder or take care of your self.

your car and battery can fail you can run out of gas weather can strand you you can get involved

or be first one at the scene of an accident if you ain't got sh*t you ain't worth sh*t to yourself or

anyone else.

And take a damn fist aid course many people die because of lack of action or people knowing what to do

If you have family or children I can not understand why you would not do this.

911 is great but a person can bleed out in a minute in less than 5 without air they are politicians

{brain dead hand puppets now you would not want that would you...

Edited by juzcallmesnake

Do the pocket chainsaw work?

There are a couple of good brands out there, and they work well. The key is in the handles, as far as I'm concerned. If the handles are good quality and fit your hands, you can do some serious cutting in a hurry.

Wire saws, in general, suck. The exceptions are the ones made with good quality wooden handles - the ring type just destroy your hands and rob you of leverage. You can make a bow saw with those, if you have time and inclination, but I'd rather carry a folding saw or a pocket chainsaw.

http://www.campsaver.com/pocket-chainsaw?gclid=CIvfmuy0y68CFSQCQAodB2yccQ

Here is one I have. I also have the saw that came in the NRA survival kit with the Blast match I bought at the 2002 Annual Meeting. The link was just the first one that came up for the brand I have. I paid $20 for mine at a local hardware/farm store.

Edited by Regulator5

i use the SaberCut Saw, this is a pocket cainsaw, while it is alot of wok to use it allows me to cut VERY lage trees down in no time flat, rarely gets stuck (once you know how to use it) and cuts through wood like butter. however, be prepared to sweat if using it for more than one cut!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H9N8C0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00