Sign in to follow this  
NovicePrepper

Thought you guys might like this, great for off grid heating.

That's a great idea. Given the price, it would also be good to pick up an extra if you have supplies in barrels at your BOL already and think you'll likely need to expand your living or work space at some point post-TEOTWAWKI. Plus it's yet another cool way to recycle/upcycle instead of buying a brand new wood stove or other heating device.

On a completely irrelevant note, if I ever got one of these, I'd probably wind up painting my barrel red, too, just because it's so darn CUTE that way. LOL

If you do convert a barrel?

Please be smart about it,add sand (min 3inch) to the bottom so it wont burn out.Add real CAST IRON grate to it,NOT Rebar.

If you paint it ONLY use Heat resistant paint..

#1 you will over heat it the first time,its in our nature to build more fire that what we need.

#2 you will have fumes coming off from the original paint job and it WAS Industrial and could kill you in a room thats tight and full of people..

Dont mean to through water on your fire BUT be carefull.

Wow - the owner has a 3,200 square foot house that he heats using five cords of hardwood per year. That's pretty darned efficient for such a large space! And since it's virtually smokeless, it only needs to be cleaned out once per year, and the chimney never has to be swept (no smoke means no creosote to coat the interior of the chimney). That's definitely worth considering!