Sign in to follow this  
rbelljr1

ok not sure here, bottled or bigger water container?

what i mean is, i have read a bunch on how the water bottles we buy cases of break down after a while and contaminate the water. now this of course is after a good amount of time. now i see on the prep store sites they have the bigger like 5 gallon thick blue water containters that i beleive dont break down. i have like 20 cases of the nestle 32 count bottle waters and wondering if i should transfer all of that to bigger thicker containers like i said above? and of course i have read to just put tap water in them too and stop buying bottled all together. suggestions? what are ya'll doing?

Some water bottles are made with BPA (Bisphenol-A), a type of plastic that leaches into the water during long term storage. There is a lot of controversy about whether or not this is a serious health hazard, and several governments outlawed BPA use in baby bottles or other items that contain food and drink for humans. Here is a basic link for info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

Many manufacturers offer 'BPA free' packaging these days, and label their products as such. If you don't see a BPA free label, it is probably safe to assume that it contains BPA, which you might want to avoid.

As an example, the 5 gallon Aqua-Pak containers made by Reliance Products (http://www.relianceproducts.com/) are BPA free.

This is the Reliance model I use, for my 5 own gallon water storage: http://www.relianceproducts.com/products/hydration/10.html

Note that many '5 gallon water containers' are NOT strong enough to stack when filled. I learned this the hard way, and that is why I now use the ones I linked above.

I really wouldn't worry too much about the bottled water that you already have,maybe drink one every so often to see how it tastes.I have stored tap water treated with bleach in large containers,drums and carboys.

I had water stored in the same container for five years and it tasted ok. I know some say replace it every six months but I have to admit I got lazy and curious to see if it would last.

But over all I would say go with the large containers and your own"free" tap water.

Guest survival101

I agree that there is a risk. But the risk is greater if you DON'T store the water. Keep the bottles in a cool, dry, dark place. As for stacking, that can be an issue. The 3 L bottles we use in our apartment don't stack really well. Not made for the weight. But, if put in a cardboard "paper" box, the kind used for reams of paper, you can stack one box, with lid, containing Six 3L bottles on another. If you add a stiff cardboard divider down the center, like you see in liquour boxes, it works even better by distributing the weight more evenly. I'm with Snake, though. As soon as we move, I'm picking up some blue barrels at Sam's. And one of the "not BPA free" kind there too, for "grey" water. We'll use that water for sanitation, watering plants, and more.

Oh, the brand I'm speaking of is Ozarka. And once a new bottle is emptied, we re-fill it with tap water treated with a little bleach. At TEOTWAWKI or even SHTF, you're not going to care if it's got a possible risk associated with it. You'll be glad you have it. And we'll all be living shorter, harder lives, so we won't have time to develop and live through a plethora of illnesses like we do today. Concentrate on eating and drinking as well as possible, and exercising. And learn your medicinal herbs, now before it's time to use that knowledge.

Edited by survival101

Do not worry about stuff growing in your water treat it but if it has stuff in it strain and treat again

and boil and filter.

all lake and river water has mold, algae, fungi, bird turds, fish sh*t and dying everything in it.

that is natures way that is why we strain treat heat and filter {filter micron size is less than 1 micron}

and still you need to boil here is a link READ CAREFULLY THE SECTION "FILTRATION".

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/manual/water.shtml

Notice that Hepatitis A, rotavirus, Norwalk virus are below .5 micron so if it is in the water you got it

NEVER count on any filter only, chemical and or heat / boiling for 15 minutes is the only way to insure

drinkable water filters are good for metals like mercury and most stuff but the crap that will kill you

are viruses, so all treatment on all water all the time.

filter through muslin cloth treat with chemicals use a bit of this to wash muslin let stand then

boil if you can and filter out treatment if any is left treatment is not healthy many think that

our water treatment has had a 2 fold effect one it prevents disease and then causes cancers and

other medical problems over time....Hey you don't get something for nothing.

I have just started storing water bottles bought at the store I would rather have that and worry about the bpa. Later on than have no water. I also have two of the five gallon blue jugs....what's a good way to reseal those after you fill them up?

all good info! i will just keep the bottled until go bad dates which is like year and a half to two years away, should be ok i would think, plus can always clean the water if need be. was thinking of the bigger 5 gallon containers since stronger and prob just going to use tap water to save money.

Im Cheap but have a "white 50galon barrel''I store another 50 galon in GLASS,ok so I have a friend who owns a Bar.

When... TSHTF glass is going to be important and its free for me now..

I build strong shelfs..

JMO

here are a few bottles I have I am in it for the long haul...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]953[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]955[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]954[/ATTACH]

Snake you are such a modest guy! ( freakin showoff...)

Bibleguns

I was just wanting to show that I do as I say not giving out advice and not doing it.

for all how read this I am being specific for those who are not handymen / folk in this bottom part of

this post.

Do not care if people think I am full of beans but they need to know some are serious

about being prepared opsec precludes me from divulging all but enough that folks know

what I am describing in my posts.

it is not easy you have to find and research chemicals that were in these barrels so you know it is safe

and as each person needs 1 gallon per day MINIMUM no washing etc. and during an event we need to

wash more because we can least afford to have infections without medical care at the ready.

as no one knows me personally and I do not care for them to although I would like for them to see that

it can be done others are doing it and we are not helpless all things are possible and we must have backup

plans.

A toilet tank holds about 2 gallons a bathtub and they vary quite a bit holds 30 to 42 gallons.

your water heater holds its rated amount and has a drain if you use a demand water heater

you have no viable water in your system.

should you be at work or detained from getting to your home and filling all your pots pans and containers

ice chests jars glasses which I would any way as they are going to be used in a couple of days and

you get your pots pans and glasses back.

I will tell you a secret if you have lumber and visqueen / 6 mil plastic you can make a trough by

using multiple layers of plastic sheet and using 2x4's or what ever drive them in the ground

and connect them with a top rail and using strips of plywood or trim pin the plastic to the rail

every 6 inches or so so when filled it does not BLOW OUT fill and cover with plastic as much area

as you can surround with rail sturdily and the uprights need to be driven in the ground 18 inches and not

more than 2 to 3 foot tall so the weight of the water does not exceed the strength of the plastic layers.

You can attach your downspout from your gutters to refill also leave it open to catch rain water

but you need to plan ahead having flex pipe and snips to cut your down spout and radiator

/ hose clamps to secure it and it would not hurt to have a siphon hose to fill containers

Instead of roll plastic a good size pond liner stored in a cool dry dark place until needed for water storage

a shelter cover body drag or sled or hammock or litter it can be used as a patch for broken pipes wrapped around and use hose clamps to secure hose clamps can be interconnected to make them longer to

encircle a larger pipe or project half hitch knot in sequence can hold a patch on also using para cord.

here are a few sites to know how much water and other factors that I spoke of

http://www.firefightermath.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=126

this is a picture of a worm gear clamp they can be undone and connected to each other to make

a longer clamp do not use tie straps they do not have near the clamping force as these can be tightened

with a socket or wrench as well as a screwdriver.

have assorted sizes from as big as your finger to larger than your wrist

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002088BII/ref=asc_df_B002088BII1985165?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B002088BII&hvpos=1o4&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4143948351905889241&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

siphon hose

http://www.amazon.com/Syphon-Tubing-Copper-Valve-Adaptor/dp/B00137ODHU/ref=sr_1_16?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1335002845&sr=1-16

pond liner notice the 25 year warranty try using a tarp and all your water will seep out by morning.

http://www.amazon.com/EPDM-Fish-Safe-Liner-10/dp/B0012SEOJ2/ref=dp_cp_ob_lg_title_3

A litter drag maybe needs some pictorial background look at skill 9-3

http://webtools.delmarlearning.com/sample_chapters/1401895034_ch9.pdf

Bibleguns

I was just wanting to show that I do as I say not giving out advice and not doing it.

for all how read this I am being specific for those who are not handymen / folk in this bottom part of

this post.

Do not care if people think I am full of beans but they need to know some are serious

about being prepared opsec precludes me from divulging all but enough that folks know

what I am describing in my posts.

it is not easy you have to find and research chemicals that were in these barrels so you know it is safe

and as each person needs 1 gallon per day MINIMUM no washing etc. and during an event we need to

wash more because we can least afford to have infections without medical care at the ready.

as no one knows me personally and I do not care for them to although I would like for them to see that

it can be done others are doing it and we are not helpless all things are possible and we must have backup

plans.

A toilet tank holds about 2 gallons a bathtub and they vary quite a bit holds 30 to 42 gallons.

your water heater holds its rated amount and has a drain if you use a demand water heater

you have no viable water in your system.

should you be at work or detained from getting to your home and filling all your pots pans and containers

ice chests jars glasses which I would any way as they are going to be used in a couple of days and

you get your pots pans and glasses back.

I will tell you a secret if you have lumber and visqueen / 6 mil plastic you can make a trough by

using multiple layers of plastic sheet and using 2x4's or what ever drive them in the ground

and connect them with a top rail and using strips of plywood or trim pin the plastic to the rail

every 6 inches or so so when filled it does not BLOW OUT fill and cover with plastic as much area

as you can surround with rail sturdily and the uprights need to be driven in the ground 18 inches and not

more than 2 to 3 foot tall so the weight of the water does not exceed the strength of the plastic layers.

You can attach your downspout from your gutters to refill also leave it open to catch rain water

but you need to plan ahead having flex pipe and snips to cut your down spout and radiator

/ hose clamps to secure it and it would not hurt to have a siphon hose to fill containers

Instead of roll plastic a good size pond liner stored in a cool dry dark place until needed for water storage

a shelter cover body drag or sled or hammock or litter it can be used as a patch for broken pipes wrapped around and use hose clamps to secure hose clamps can be interconnected to make them longer to

encircle a larger pipe or project half hitch knot in sequence can hold a patch on also using para cord.

here are a few sites to know how much water and other factors that I spoke of

http://www.firefightermath.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=126

this is a picture of a worm gear clamp they can be undone and connected to each other to make

a longer clamp do not use tie straps they do not have near the clamping force as these can be tightened

with a socket or wrench as well as a screwdriver.

have assorted sizes from as big as your finger to larger than your wrist

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002088BII/ref=asc_df_B002088BII1985165?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B002088BII&hvpos=1o4&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4143948351905889241&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

siphon hose

http://www.amazon.com/Syphon-Tubing-Copper-Valve-Adaptor/dp/B00137ODHU/ref=sr_1_16?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1335002845&sr=1-16

pond liner notice the 25 year warranty try using a tarp and all your water will seep out by morning.

http://www.amazon.com/EPDM-Fish-Safe-Liner-10/dp/B0012SEOJ2/ref=dp_cp_ob_lg_title_3

A litter drag maybe needs some pictorial background look at skill 9-3

http://webtools.delmarlearning.com/sample_chapters/1401895034_ch9.pdf

Snake I have nothing but respect for your preps and knowledge, but you are fun to tease...

I will say it AGAIN..

Learn to scrounge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just picked up my 15th 5 galon "vegatable oil" contaner from our local "China" restaurant....I gave away 5 so far to others who first thought I was crazy....

I also have 2liter glass bottles filled and stored!!

Like wally said..does not matter what kind of container....just get it stored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"A pipe line was being built from Alaska to California,And when asked how much would the WATER cost when it got to California??? Alaska said" Depends how THRISTY YOU GET"

nuf said...

what i mean is, i have read a bunch on how the water bottles we buy cases of break down after a while and contaminate the water. now this of course is after a good amount of time. now i see on the prep store sites they have the bigger like 5 gallon thick blue water containters that i beleive dont break down. i have like 20 cases of the nestle 32 count bottle waters and wondering if i should transfer all of that to bigger thicker containers like i said above? and of course i have read to just put tap water in them too and stop buying bottled all together. suggestions? what are ya'll doing?

Do not transfer bottle water to other containers,keep in original,air,heat, will help in contamination,water stored away from heat and sun light will last for a long time un-open,properly filter water treated with(dry chlorine, or calcium hypochlorite)wil last a long time,but is always good to rotated water and food items alike.