Sign in to follow this  
Regulator5

Grid down power

Yes there was. I figure natural disasters, i.e., hurricanes, tornados and blizzards are probably the biggest single scenario most people need to prepare for. This site will give lots of ideas and equipment to maintain power/electricity to the home or BOL and allow some comfort during an unsettling time. Plus the added benefit of cutting utility bills to allow the savings to be invested in more important items like food, land, etc.

I have sold building suppys for over 20 years and people just wont listen...Power,suited to your enviroment,water,shelter,HEAT.So stop thinking you need over 2000 square ft homes..we dont ..Sorry off subject.

Back woods Solar(http://www.backwoodssolar.com/) is my Favorite place to shop for power supply and you can start easy with a simple 24 or 12 volt system to start and build from there as the money is in hand.they will quote you for free what you need..understanding what YOU NEED IS THE HARD PART(lights,refrig,communaction,appaliances )needed for daily life.How to replenish it after you use it is the answer..putting back the power to your storage batterys is the key..

Its a Peev of mine...I have a 24 by 36 buliding desighn w/basement that has been in my hart and on paper for 15 years..Im still working on it.as teck changes and new stuff comes around for the comsumer you need to keep it basic.The need for uniform Code is the hardest thing,the state of NY has the tuffest codes for building,check your area for codes.

Four walls and a roof,2 doors....thats where it starts..Have fun..

Ok so why 24ft by 36ft..??( 24 x 36 = 864)(base ment anouther 864 square ft)It is based on common size building material,4ft section,a normal person can carry a 12 ft piece of lumber.12 ft lumber is the most cost effective there is,and EVERYone sells it,and can be transported in a car if need be.Its easy to heat .A porch completely around your building 10ft or 12 ft gives you more space than you can ever use,wood storage,a place to sit and gather with friends and family,Rain gutters catching water,solar pannels can be mounted and easyer to maintain and add too.

Sorry but my Its just my thing,Im a nut about it..Matt :}

matt,

That design sounds perfect. My wife and I are the same way. We live in a major city and in a 800 sq foot condo. It is well laidout, so it feels much bigger. YOu don't need a ton of room to have a great home. After about 9 years of me living in the city, I think my parents finally understand that I don't have the room or the desire for all the stuff they try to send me. The only thing I miss or want is a small workshop so I can store prep gear and tinker in. That will have to wait until we move back down South.

Found a link that has alot of info, plus advertisements, for DIY power options for the home.

http://www.off-the-grid-homes.net/

This may help some find a solution to grid down prepping scenarios. I am still going through the site, so can't attest to all the options available.

Some thing to help figure out power needs

http://www.solar-estimate.org/index.php?verifycookie=1&page=rightforme&subpage=&external_estimator=