Sign in to follow this  
Guest survival101

Container Gardening

Hey Snake and Matt: I have 7 old kitty litter plastic buckets in which I've planted redskins. So far they have done real well but in the last week, the leaves have been under assault. I've been trying to avoid insecticides but I'm starting to wonder if I need to dust them with sevin or something. You guys have any success with anything in particular?

sevin is best I have used tobacco with bay leaf with mixed results that natural way is

a daily deal and not as good as sevin or diazanon

Sorry to say ..I use seven allso..I was useing a clorox and dawn mix and the spuds started to get bugs..switched!!!

I only use when I see the pest!!

Whether it matters or not really, as kid I worked for a older lady who could make a rock grow, and see used sevin a lot but she would put newspapers around the base of plants to catch the dust that fell off. Leave the paper down the dust the falls off well land on the papers and keep the bugs from crawling back on later and the paper would help with weeds and moisture,

Always listen to Grandmaw!!!

Im starting my late taters in buckets this week and a few Toms..I will store them in my hot house come November to test how long I can keep them growing..

Rookie question here: Anybody know of a calendar or schedule where I can figure out what to plant at which time? I'm in zone 10.

Also, I planted tomatoes and haven't killed them yet. Plants are growing, but only one is fruit-bearing so far.

Any ideas?? I've been feeding them tomato food.

I really, REALLY want to grow potatoes. Is it too late???

Rookie question here: Anybody know of a calendar or schedule where I can figure out what to plant at which time? I'm in zone 10.

Also, I planted tomatoes and haven't killed them yet. Plants are growing, but only one is fruit-bearing so far.

Any ideas?? I've been feeding them tomato food.

I really, REALLY want to grow potatoes. Is it too late???

farmers almanac or old farmers almanac?

Here are a couple of online sites that have advice for different zones:

http://www.thevegetablegarden.info/resources/planting-schedules/zones-9-10-planting-schedule

http://www.veggieharvest.com/Vegetable-Planting-Calendar/Zone-10-Vegetable-Planting-Calendar/

http://www.ehow.com/list_7361306_fruit-plants-zone-9-10.html

You might also want to check out the extension service for your state (here in Oregon, it's handled by the Department of Agriculture at Oregon State University). They are full of great advice on gardening, canning, etc. that will be fairly specific to your region, and it's usually information provided by people who have actually had their hands in the dirt at a farm just down the road from you! LOL