Sign in to follow this  
Guest survival101

Container Gardening

Old tires have been used for years,straw or soil.plants get taller than tires.add one fill with what you have leave a bit of green and your good to go.

Oh and just push over the tires to get taters,no digging.lol

When I was a kid we planted our potatoes in the spot where we moved big bale of hay during the winter, they would leave a good layer of semi rotted hay that the taters seemed to love and they would be really easy to harvest we also did the tire thing a few times and it works great.

When I was a kid we planted our potatoes in the spot where we moved big bale of hay during the winter, they would leave a good layer of semi rotted hay that the taters seemed to love and they would be really easy to harvest we also did the tire thing a few times and it works great.

I am gonna try the tire thing using semi rotted hay, should be a successful crop of taters.

All this sounds pretty good, unfortunately when I plant anything it turns out to be a funeral.

is this a reference to friends and people or gardening because we can help with gardening.

dead people not so much....no matter how fertile the soil or watering they just don't seem to pop up

BUT when Christ come back he will fix that problem IMHO.

Thanks Snake..LMAO I worked on Easter...

Oh and there are some who just cant grow stuff,so have your spouce or friend Plant it and you tend it,Im serious!My mother who raised 5 children owned 2 restrants and out worked Harder than most men,was 5 ft nothing and could read people from a mile away,BUT Could not put a plant in the ground and see it live more than 2 days.My Father Banned her from doing anything in the garden(I learned early in life.lol how to plant)but she cooked and canned everything GREAT..

Dad did grow her Roses !!!

Snake, Thanks for the info. I'll try that. Need to get a sprayer from the hardware store tonight. How often do you spray? I figured until the mites are killed, but is it an everyday thing? Also, I heard some people use a soap solution to do the same thing. Anyone try that?

DC Matt

I have heard but you would need to use a citrus scented soap I believe I just go with old reliable.

spray about once least once a week use your sprayer up trying to get under the leaves as many small

critters hide under leaves I also use Sevin dust and it needs to get in the soil as many beetles like to

hatch in the soil and as it is watered in it kills them.

I have also used Diatomaceous earth use a regular kitchen strainer and dust your plants and soil with it

works best when dry.

If you container garden you can use Demon WP I just spray around the planters and between

DO NOT USE ON PLANTS ONLY AROUND YOUR GARDEN OR CONTAINERS..

this is a great barrier insecticide.

some one told me that aluminum pans with sliced cucumbers in them set right next to plants

they say bugs hate it I think I will try it this year.

DC Matt

I have heard but you would need to use a citrus scented soap I believe I just go with old reliable.

spray about once least once a week use your sprayer up trying to get under the leaves as many small

critters hide under leaves I also use Sevin dust and it needs to get in the soil as many beetles like to

hatch in the soil and as it is watered in it kills them.

I have also used Diatomaceous earth use a regular kitchen strainer and dust your plants and soil with it

works best when dry.

If you container garden you can use Demon WP I just spray around the planters and between

DO NOT USE ON PLANTS ONLY AROUND YOUR GARDEN OR CONTAINERS..

this is a great barrier insecticide.

some one told me that aluminum pans with sliced cucumbers in them set right next to plants

they say bugs hate it I think I will try it this year.

So I have to buy cucumbers to cut so I can grow cucumbers? My grandmother used shallow pans with beer for slugs and insects, and my grandfather planted marigolds and some other flower I don't remember at the end of the rows to keep out bugs as well, and what exactly is diabolical earth?

DonDon that's it

we do not have slugs here but if we did those kind of things help a lot I use cedar chips for mulch.

and any other natural deterrent, I do not do it before the problem arises as some insects like what

others do not so why ask for problems.

sevin takes care of a lot of bugs dusting the soil or using liquid sevin just helps kill those pests before

they get a foot hold.

I've planted marigolds with my tomatoes and savory with my beans for some critter control. Those plants really need to come up soon (fingers crossed). My bean's leaves have been getting raveged a bit...I wanted to try to get by without using sevin dust, but I'm not going to hold out much longer

So I have to buy cucumbers to cut so I can grow cucumbers? My grandmother used shallow pans with beer for slugs and insects, and my grandfather planted marigolds and some other flower I don't remember at the end of the rows to keep out bugs as well, and what exactly is diabolical earth?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

Slugs and other insects don't like it because it cuts them. It's a great natural bug deterrent.

Thanks for the weather warning. It's cool and rainy now. Need to see about temp.

I tired a tabocco 'tea' this weekend. It smelled great, but thinknits only made those dang mites mad. I later did a rubbing alcohol water mix and it did kill them, but not sure how effective it will be in the long term. Will let y'all know.

Well today I picked some fresh okra and some yard long green beans

my dog ate my one large bell pepper I have to wait for the others

chili petine / birds eye pepper plant is loaded might make a bunch with the seed to sell next year.

and the choke cherries are coming along I think next year I am going to set a bunch of blue berries

grapes are coming along but I need about 5 more vines to make enough to have jelly, but a got

about 10 bunches I wash and freeze them they are great frozen.

cucumbers are blooming like crazy but we will have to see if that relates to cukes or not

tomatoes are loaded and I think we are going to have a bumper crop

yellow squash did ok and then they started to wilt finally pulled them and replanted got 2 left with

blooms but I am not sure if they will come on or not we will see.

And that's what I like about the south it's 80+ degrees here and I ain't moving north

of San Antone just for that very reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCSWZTzJJaU

Coldest place I remember was Amarillo, Tx. in December 1967. First time I ever saw wind blown snow coming from two opposite directions and blowing the snow UP. Don't know how. Enjoyed Burkburnett, Tx.

they had a great gun shop there. Good and cheep as I recall. In Wichita Falls, short sleeve weather in the early morning....hot that evening 6 inches of snow and cold. If you do not like the weather in Texas, just wait a few min. it will change.

Hey Snake and Matt: I have 7 old kitty litter plastic buckets in which I've planted redskins. So far they have done real well but in the last week, the leaves have been under assault. I've been trying to avoid insecticides but I'm starting to wonder if I need to dust them with sevin or something. You guys have any success with anything in particular?