Sign in to follow this  
Guest survival101

Container Gardening

Guest survival101

This year all we will be able to do is container garden. Weedeater has a sufficient herb garden in containers that we manage to over-winter, but I will have a sunny space for a few container garden items. Any suggestions? Also this will be a good place to pass along your tips or questions on container gardening.

In the past, I've had good luck with tomatoes, both cherry and big tomatoes. Also broccoli, peppers, yellow squash, and radishes. And I used big containers (scavenged 5-gallon painters buckets, 10-gallon aquarium, etc.), not little pots. You need a good soil mix and you have to pay attention to water, at least here where it gets so blooming hot.

Saw a really cool, really practical set-up for container gardening here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314072.0

About.com also has a really well sourced section on container gardens:

http://containergardening.about.com/od/vegetablesandherbs/a/ContainerVeggie.htm

One of my friends decided to try to grow melons in a container garden (I guess because she didn't find "normal" gardening daunting enough). She had some success in training the vines to grow up a trellis, and then secured the growing melons in slings made of women's stockings that she knotted to secure to the trellis. I think she did cantaloupes and baby watermelons, and was really pleased by how they turned out.

Personally, I've had the best luck with herbs and tomatoes in container gardens, but I haven't spent much time trying to cultivate other things. And a few people around here grow tomatoes upside-down, from hanging planters, to keep slugs off of them (a real problem around here). Eggplants are supposed to be great for container gardens, but I only sort of like eggplant, so it's not worth my time. I'd like to hear more about whether potatoes and carrots can be done successfully that way, since I love them both and the potatoes in particular would be great for long-term storage and not just fresh consumption.

Survival101, this is my first year/attempt at containers. I started early since the weather has been so mild. Everything is thriving right now, except the cukes, BUT, the harvest is the ultimate test. I have: 4 red skin potato plants (old kitty litter buckets). Giant Caesar Lettuce in a huge handled floral arrangement basket. Two tomato plants each in their own huge plastic flower pots, Sweet peas in a faux, plasic, half bourbon barrel, trained and climbing. Two kinds of beans: a petite rifle-dropper (French) green bean and Blue Lakes. Strawberries in a window box-like planter. Green onions in another window box. Red Peppers, in a bucket, are just starting to break thru the soil. Carrots in a soft sided, handled bucket.

I used all bagged organic container soil in the pots. This is an expensive way to go but at the end of the year, I'm going to dump all the dirt into a big trashcan to mix up for use again next year (I'll have to read up on some veggie's dirt tho...I think some prolly shouldn't be reused (potatoes, I think)

Today I'm going to give them their first feeding of a fish fertilizer. I'll let you know how things progress. Yields will not be enough to have a large harvest, but this year I decided to try a bunch of different things to see what works well and what to expand on or delete next year

Good Luck!

Edited by MikeE

Matt: I haven't tried your peroxide idea yet. The day we talked about it, my bride brought home some fish fert. It's pretty mild at 5-5-5 or something along those lines, so it should be good for most anything, I guess

I'd go with Nana's suggestions 100%, all good suggestions so far...One thing you might consider if you want potatoes is to grow them in a barrel. I don't remember the specifics, but I think you put about 1-2 ft. black dirt in a barrel and when it's growing good, you put more dirt in. You keep doing this for several layers. I don't know if it has to be solid soil, I think you can use straw or maybe peat moss instead. Anyway by the end of the season, you should have quite a few spuds. One of my neighbors said he grew about about 50 lbs. in one barrel

Your good!!a little at a time works well.NEVER OVER FEED....many kill the plant with over feeding and BURN the plant!

Not every plant does well and you may lose a couple but keep at it!!!

Your doing great!!

and Bless your Wife..

Old tires have been used for years,straw or soil.plants get taller than tires.add one fill with what you have leave a bit of green and your good to go.

Oh and just push over the tires to get taters,no digging.lol

Old tires have been used for years,straw or soil.plants get taller than tires.add one fill with what you have leave a bit of green and your good to go.

Oh and just push over the tires to get taters,no digging.lol

I hadn't heard of that before but it sounds better than using a barrel, and easier to harvest.

you have the advantage stacking them high also,if southern exposer you will pick up the radient heat also and a warm soil is a benefit.

Thanks, I am definitely going to try this as I am kind of a pack rat and have a few old tires around lol, and I like potatoes.

Nice thread. doing a little myself here in DC. Mostly herbs, Swiss chard, arugula, peppers and tomatoes. Will look into potatoes, that might be something good to try. Home Depot didn't have any so didn't get them, but heard great things about self watering containers.

One thing we're running into are spider mites. They are killing my greens and need to figure out a good way to get rid of them. Its super dry here, so I know that doesn't help. Keep things watered and trying to find a good solution. Any recommendations?

DC Matt

get some tobacco and put it a small sack tie it up and make a tea in your pump up sprayer and

spray your plants with it {the bag it to keep your spray tip from getting plugged up.

my yellow squash is flowering think we are going to have a bumper crop

got those in 15 gallon planter buckets big enough for 1 as they spread out to good size.

and funny about the post on bone meal I just got through doing all my plants with it.

bought a chili petine plant has those birds eye red peppers hot as hell and I ain't lying.

pic is not mine just shows the plant when it has peppers same peppers that make tobasco.

sold all my rabbits at the sale so no photos on rabbit cleaning back to 4 sold 12 so by next november

i will have between 12 to 20 again LOL

Excelent stuff all around..

My find of the year just came through...

Heirloom White Hasting Beans..sometimes called Purple Tips.The family has been saving them for 50 years and have never taken to blight.I have about 1/2 pound of them,some are going to long term storage.Got my Rattlesnake beans also,they are like the Missouri Wonders,heavy producer,tall vines,beans 10 to 12inch length..

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

Im trading them for 6 Jerusalem tomato plants..

a good deal is when both are happy..:}

Guest kevin
All this sounds pretty good, unfortunately when I plant anything it turns out to be a funeral.

chickens$%t.....when in doubt, use more chicken s$%t.....and lime....rabbit s$%t works great too.

Guest kevin

i've been bucket gardening for years. im doing 54 5 gallon buckets(9 different kinds of peppers in those) and 20, 20 gallon used cattle meal tubs(4 different tomatoes in those). the only problem i ever run into is watering....at the start its easy because the seedlings dont require much water ..... but as the plant starts to grow larger, fruit,and the temperature rises, it starts being an everyday activity..... not only these factors but also, with the tomatoes, the plants began to "umbrella" the buckets so much that a sprinkler does little good......you have to water directly into the bucket, thats time consuming ......and if you wait til the sun isn't shinning directly on your plants to water(and you should) by late summer your watering at 9 pm..and still have to find time to tend the 25ft x 75ft ground garden...then up at 5 am and off to work til 7pm(most of my summers....then i hunt all winter)........God i love the country life!

Be careful with chicken manure. You can't use it straight out of the coop or you run a very real risk of killing your plants. You will have to compost it. Rabbits I'm not familiar with.

Years ago, I cleaned my elderly neighbor's coops and she let me haul it to my compost heap. One spring of hauling everything close to 100 yards persuaded me of the benefit of relocating my compost heap to the fence line.

Don't rub it in, Kevin, because I really miss the country life.

Guest kevin

if you dilute the chicken poop in water and leave it in the sun for about 3 days you can use it right outta the coop......or i do any way.....never "burned "a single plant with rabbit poop, and i put it on thick....about 4 inches

Keven get some 1 galon jugs and cut the bottoms out,glue in some 1/8 plastic tubing into the screwing in lids,pinch or melt the end of tube(after hanging the jug)till only a drip comes out..Dip irrigation is the best for that.

check this site..

http://www.dripdepot.com/garden-drip-irrigation-kits

http://www.dripdepot.com/spray-jets-on-thread

I have some left over from a small job from 3 years ago and reuse ever year!the neighbors think Im nuts with galon jugs hanging off post.

i am nuts but it works for me.lol