Sign in to follow this  
NovicePrepper

Buying tents for every individual in your BO group, better than buying one big one?

High density polyethylene film HDPE lasts a loooooooog time you can melt it together it is cool stuff

and make a tube tent tie the end and be careful the other end needs to be open a bit {carbon dioxide will smother you}.

add tabs inside to add pull down tent poles or use green limbs to make a hoop tent.

but it is great light weight stuff you can patch it as it is is easily thermally bonded get a grommet kit and add add eyes I would double it where you place a grommet.

Its only limit is your imagination I wanted to make a water carrier out of some.

buying a tent for everyone in group has two benefits everyone has thier own tent and one guy doesn't have to carry a large load on the other hand it can be expensive to make sure everyone has their own tent.

I haven't used tent for many years now, prefer hammock. Been using Bear Mountain Bridge Jacks R Better hammock, and love it. Practically flat, very comfortable and lightweight. Always carry tarp with it, if needed. thats my take on this.

I don't have a link off hand, but there is a certain military surplus poncho that makes one half of a tent. When combined with another, it makes a whole tent for two. Great way to lighten the load, and still keep necessary gear.

Otherwise, there are several backpacking tents on the walmart website (www.walmart.com) that are fairly cheap, light and most are at least 3 season.

The true military issue ponchos are able to be formed into a shelter, I carry 2 myself as they are light. Make sure you get a true military issue poncho and not just a mil spec one (seems to make a difference on water repellancy). You can then either carry pup tent poles or use paracord to form the shelter. There are also several types of shelters to be made with a poncho, just like a tarp. I recommend taking paracord, cutting it into 12 inch pieces and pulling the inner string (guts) out. Take the exterior shell and tie in the grommet holes of the poncho for anchor points for the stakes or tie off points. This will help reduce the chance of tearing the poncho.

The drawback from a regular tent is the poncho shelter has no floor, unless you make one with another poncho or a tarp.

Ok it's back at sportsmans guide the one man tent that I have been looking to try

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/hq-issue-solo-bivy-tent-woodland.aspx?a=1024630

Almost as cheap as the bivy covers I bought last month from them wish I'd saved that money now budget for gear a little tight right now although they are great for the money

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=676346

Together they would be a 4 season setup they also have a single pole that looks to be a little less convenient

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/hq-issue-single-pole-backpack-tent-woodland.aspx?a=1024626

Edited by DonDon

Both have vestibules for gear and the second is actually a two man

Its been my experience that a two man tent with two vestibules is ideal for one person. You can use it for two person purposes if needed. The vestibules are great for gear in dry weather, otherwise i put most of my gear in the tent with me. Caution here. Food items should always be hung in a bear bag about 100 feet from your tent. There are many critters that love campers and have no fear. Mice, coyotes, wolves and bears will enter a tent for a food source. Dont add yourself to the menu.

Its been my experience that a two man tent with two vestibules is ideal for one person. You can use it for two person purposes if needed. The vestibules are great for gear in dry weather, otherwise i put most of my gear in the tent with me. Caution here. Food items should always be hung in a bear bag about 100 feet from your tent. There are many critters that love campers and have no fear. Mice, coyotes, wolves and bears will enter a tent for a food source. Dont add yourself to the menu.

Good food handling advice awake! Reminds me of a story. A couple of years ago my youngest son and I saw on the weather channel that a snow storm was coming the next day. We decided it would be fun to camp out in it so we hiked in on the Appalachian Trail a couple of miles to a lean-to shelter. After we got set up and had a nice fire going, three young men came along. They were hiking and were cold and hungary. They asked to share the fire and site. We said sure and offered them hot chocolate. While my son was pouring the hot drinks I was setting up a bear bag over the branch of a tree. Got the rope over the tree limb by tying the rope to a rock and hoisted up the bag nice and high. The three young men asked my son what I was doing and he told them.

It snowed heavy that night and got real cold. My son and I got up early to get the fire going again. While I was adding more wood he goes down the path to take a pee. Comming back he says "Hey Dad, you gotta see this!" The young men had set up a tent and on a bush nearby had hung their food in zip lock bags on the bush about two feet off the ground. It looked like they were laying out a buffet for the animals! :rolleyes:

I guess they tried to copy what I did but got lost on the details! :D :D :D

Early in my prep efforts, i got a small low quality 2-person tent for like $40.

Later on i got a pretty good 4-person tent. As well as a 10'x10' Tarp and a roll of Hvy-Duty Black sheet plastic.

When my wife and I go camping/hiking, we take the 4person tent on her pack, and I carry the tarp and plastic. i still have the cheap 2person tent as a backup of sorts.

For me personally, I bought a good quality 4 person tent from REI. I wanted to buy two 2 person tents to disperse the weight but money was an issue fo me. Plus I have a young child and a wife, so in a bug out scenario I had to consider their comfort. Awake has a ton of info on tents/sleeping bags

yes he does. hes my go-to man on these issues.
Im still saving up for the sleeping pads and bags that he recomended! LOL. Do any of you know how hard it is to explain to my wife " Those guys on survivalcache told me I should get this"?

Im still saving up for the sleeping pads and bags that he recomended! LOL. Do any of you know how hard it is to explain to my wife " Those guys on survivalcache told me I should get this"?

lol. all of us guys on here have went through that one time or another. now the ladies on here on the other had...............

Myself, Im still looking for a good small & compact 'thingy to use as a pillow. Preferably NOT anything inflatable.

Ive thought about a throw pillow or one of those little pillow things off a couch, but thats still TOOOO big.

I use one of my stuff bags like from my tent or sleeping bag and stuff my extra or dirty clothes in it for a pillow......if you see me on the trail with wrinkled clothes now you know why

I use one of my stuff bags like from my tent or sleeping bag and stuff my extra or dirty clothes in it for a pillow......if you see me on the trail with wrinkled clothes now you know why

LOL.... I do the same thing Don. This way I don't have to pack anything extra and even if I add a "stuff sack", I can use it for foraging or whatever when not in use as a "pillowcase".