Sign in to follow this  
NovicePrepper

Buying tents for every individual in your BO group, better than buying one big one?

Don't buy the shelter half, save your money. They leak, they are prone to condensation, etc. A bad nylon one from wallyworld is better than the shelter half.

Why buy a tent at all? You can accomplish the same thing with a lightweight tarp. The tarp can be used in a multitude of configurations and can also be tied together if a larger shelter is needed. Most tents these days can only be used in one role, as a tent, and can not be configured in any other way. An improvised shelter can at times be just as adequate a shelter as a tent. If you do not have a tent to carry then you have less weight to carry. Why do you assume that you have to have a tent?

For long term bug out/camping, I can't imagine not having a tent, especially if it's mosquito season.

bug bites can also bring on bacteria and infection. i dont think in a BO situation folks would choose to be w/o a tent. the few that do would soon regret it im sure.

Out here you have low odds being alone in a tent during really cold winter nights. Having an extra person in the tent to help heat the air is the different between shivering all night and a good nights sleep. It's important to remember questions like this are region specific.

And bleh to the cotton tent. The Walmart special is probably better then this and I don't advocate walmart camp gear much.

Sorry, I must have missed the point. Are we talking about camping or SHTF survival? I have not used a tent in the woods since one or two times in the boy scouts. I have been using a tarp and what is available in natural resources. In the warmer months I always carry mosquito netting and/or a jungle hammock with netting and a tarp over the top. And if I were to have to make a more substantial dwelling there are some types which are more comfortable than a tent.

The tents which you buy will only last so long.... then what? Best to learn to make good shelters now. Mistakes in building can make your life really uncomfortable.

After sleeping in the "Black Forest"in Germany,under a shelter half,durning the winter. I will never sleep under a shelter half again!!!

A cheap tent is better with a floor,or a tarp folded and put up correctley,or even a leanto built to brotect you is better..BUSH Craft..

jmo

After sleeping in the "Black Forest"in Germany,under a shelter half,durning the winter. I will never sleep under a shelter half again!!!

A cheap tent is better with a floor,or a tarp folded and put up correctley,or even a leanto built to brotect you is better..BUSH Craft..

jmo

been there done that. Wildflecken

"Totaly" was worth it..

dont get me started.

Oh 4 marks to the dollar made it easyer..lol

ooops ..yes its about Tents,be comfortable and spend the money if you have it!!you will need your rest and warmth!!

Edited by 101matt

My boys and I have some Austrian pup tents like the old US military shelter half pups but they are much lighter, rubberized nylon, and a little smaller, we also have some US pups to. We carry the austrrian tents when we camp now but on the first trip we took backpack camping we took the old canvas US pups and the older two boys decided that they didn't want to share a tent so they both carried two halfs and they learned a very valuable lesson in working together as the added weight and space were a inconvenience to say the least. But I do think that we have a good system worked out each carries a half and a small tarp, the two tarp overlap and Go up the side internally of the tent we have stayed dry and warm In these tents on several occasions, also have a tent I picked up at Goodwill is a pup tent with a floor and the ends have a zippered fly older was made by sears small and light 2 person not been in the rain yet with it, but as we aRe adding a camper this year will probably my tent

But if your going modern self contained this the style I'd look at two person tent for each more room to keep gear dry and safe

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/saguaro-bivy-shelter-tent.aspx?a=785098

Edited by DonDon

DD that a great find for the money..thanks..

No problem Matt that why we are all here!

They have a single like that off and on that I like even better, has a gear patio when the rain cover is on and even lighter, not on the site again I have went there a few times to buy one and they won't have it, then I'll see it when I have no money in budget for it

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Durango-Person-Tent-Green/dp/B005Y43J1Y/ref=sr_1_11?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1334879548&sr=1-11

I wonder if that would be good for your group? One for every two people? I hope it's warm, PA winters aren't the friendliest.

Is it possible to insulate a tent that doesn't come with insulation without having to staple wool blankets to the wall? Lol.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Durango-Person-Tent-Green/dp/B005Y43J1Y/ref=sr_1_11?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1334879548&sr=1-11

I wonder if that would be good for your group? One for every two people? I hope it's warm, PA winters aren't the friendliest.

Is it possible to insulate a tent that doesn't come with insulation without having to staple wool blankets to the wall? Lol.

Yes a flannel bed sheet between the tent and rain cover really helps but doesn't add too much weight to your pack or the tents stucture, no collapses in my sleep yet, and laying on a thermal (aluminum foiled plastic) blanket will really help a lot as well.

Why buy a tent at all? You can accomplish the same thing with a lightweight tarp. The tarp can be used in a multitude of configurations and can also be tied together if a larger shelter is needed. Most tents these days can only be used in one role, as a tent, and can not be configured in any other way. An improvised shelter can at times be just as adequate a shelter as a tent. If you do not have a tent to carry then you have less weight to carry. Why do you assume that you have to have a tent?

I carry a tarp always, but I will be the first to say that a tarp does not compare to a tent in terms of comfort, dryness and a (probably false, but nonetheless) sense of security that improves morale.

I am used to sleeping in tarp shelters now and my ability to construct better shelters has improved immensely, but I think for many, many people a tent is a better option and I really like having both so I can use the tarp for other purposes or to collect water if need be.

So really in conclusion, I absolutely agree with you that he should get a tarp, but a tent certainly offers some things that a tarp doesn't; especially in really wet conditions where the ground is thoroughly saturated.

I carry a tarp always, but I will be the first to say that a tarp does not compare to a tent in terms of comfort, dryness and a (probably false, but nonetheless) sense of security that improves morale.

I am used to sleeping in tarp shelters now and my ability to construct better shelters has improved immensely, but I think for many, many people a tent is a better option and I really like having both so I can use the tarp for other purposes or to collect water if need be.

So really in conclusion, I absolutely agree with you that he should get a tarp, but a tent certainly offers some things that a tarp doesn't; especially in really wet conditions where the ground is thoroughly saturated.

For my BOB and GHB I use disposable painters drops they are they small (until unpacked) and cheap as well as very versatile

Depends on the conditions. I have a Kifaru Paratarp with annex and the wood burning parastove. Total weight with the pegs I use is 61oz or about 3.8lbs. I really like having the option of dry wood heat in wet or cold conditions. This is a quick set-up option when on the move and if I decide to build something larger and more permanant for a longer stay it still works great for overnight trips away from "home"