Sign in to follow this  
Guest survival101

That Bites!

Guest survival101

It's that time again. The State bird of MS is out in force... The Mosquito! Due to the warm winter they are already out in force, and hungry. I noticed that Forge Survival has two offerings. Natrapel, and Ben's. https://www.forgesurvivalsupply.com/store/insect-repellents/73.html?redirected=1

DEET is not an option for me, it triggers migraines. Natrapel, I have used before they added Picaridin, and it worked great. The citronella smell makes me sneeze. Ben's, I have not tried, and they don't list the active ingredients.

Found this article and site I thought you all might enjoy. http://equipped.outdoors.org/2009/06/picaridin-vs-deet-face-off-of-buzzer.html

Anybody able to offer their personal experiences with these two products, pro and con? I hate to waste money by making the wrong choice. So many survival supplies, so little dough...

Dark colors also attract mosquitoes more than light colors, because they make your surface temperature higher, and you sweat more. Mosquitoes home in on carbon dioxide (from your breath), heat and lactic acid (present in sweat). DEET and other chemical repellents work by confusing and disrupting the electrochemical sensors that mosquitoes use to hunt their prey.

Clothing that has been treated with Permethrin is very effective in repelling mosquitoes. I personally have tried (and continue to use) the BugsAway line of clothing from Exfficio, but there are multiple manufacturers out there that carry similar stuff. ExOfficio guarantees that the permethrin treatment will withstand 70+ washings.

There is a spray manufactured by Repel that claims to be 100% natural and DEET free. It comes in a pocket sized spray bottle (about as big around as your index finger and 4 inches long). The package says it good for 140 sprays, and protects up to 2 hours against mosquitoes and other biting insects. That was selling for $3.69, at our local Walmart. They also make a 'lemon eucalyptus' version that says it will repel mosquitoes up to six hours, and its also available at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Repel-Natural-Pen-Pump/16561285

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Repel-Lemon-Eucalyptus-Pen-Pump/16561281

If you don't already have some bug repellent clothing, I would give it a serious look, because it works as long as you are wearing it, and won't wash off/sweat off/rub off while you are walking or working.

Guest survival101

It's for sure I'm not a sweet perfumey type of woman. That's for the boudoir, not outdoors. No sweet, perfumey sprays, shampoos, lotions or detergents on my clothes. Mosquitoes like my sweat, period. Ouch. So maybe I'll look into the two options suggested. Thanks guys.

I can't speak to either of those products, but I can give you a tip for helping control mosquitoes at a location (like your campsite). Here's a good explanation of how to build a mosquito trap from ThriftyFun.com.

Making a Mosquito Trap

Because mosquitoes are attracted to the CO2 we breathe out, I started looking for ideas that used CO2 as the bait for the mosquito trap. I did think of dry ice but it dissipates too quickly.

Supplies:

1 2-liter soda bottle

a sharp knife

black paper

tape

candy thermometer

Take a 2 liter soda bottle. Cut off the top right below where it starts to narrow for the top, invert and place inside the lower half.

Make a simple sugar syrup.

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar

1 cup water

2 cups cool water

1 tsp. active dry yeast

Directions:

Bring 1 cup of the water to a boil.

Dissolve the sugar into the boiling water.

Once the sugar is dissolved completely, remove the pan from the heat. Stir in 2 cups cool water, stir well.

Check the temperature of the syrup to make sure it is no hotter than 90 degrees F, if hotter, let cool to 90 degrees F, add 1 tsp. active dry yeast, no need to mix. Put syrup in the bottom part of the bottle, using the cut off neck piece, leave in place.

Be sure to seal the two parts of the bottle with the tape. The fermenting yeast will release carbon dioxide. Put black paper around the bottle since mosquitoes like dark places and carbon dioxide. This mosquito trap will then start working.

TIP: Put the trap in a dark and humid place for 2 weeks, you'll see the effect. You'll have to replace the sugar water + yeast solution every 2 weeks.

It's for sure I'm not a sweet perfumey type of woman. That's for the boudoir, not outdoors. No sweet, perfumey sprays, shampoos, lotions or detergents on my clothes. Mosquitoes like my sweat, period. Ouch. So maybe I'll look into the two options suggested. Thanks guys.

WHen I was young, the night before a big weekend of hunting, my friends dad would eat raw, 1-2 'pieces' from a clove of garlic. I asked why? He says it gets into your blood and skin and hides your scent better. Kinda like the smell of a grass stain on your jeans as a kid. Perhaps you could check into something like this.

You might want to look into plants that repel the little blood suckers. I remember seeing a TV show recently that spoke of several flowering plants and herbs that discourage the little buggers.

Dark colors also attract mosquitoes more than light colors, because they make your surface temperature higher, and you sweat more. Mosquitoes home in on carbon dioxide (from your breath), heat and lactic acid (present in sweat). DEET and other chemical repellents work by confusing and disrupting the electrochemical sensors that mosquitoes use to hunt their prey.

Clothing that has been treated with Permethrin is very effective in repelling mosquitoes. I personally have tried (and continue to use) the BugsAway line of clothing from Exfficio, but there are multiple manufacturers out there that carry similar stuff. ExOfficio guarantees that the permethrin treatment will withstand 70+ washings.

There is a spray manufactured by Repel that claims to be 100% natural and DEET free. It comes in a pocket sized spray bottle (about as big around as your index finger and 4 inches long). The package says it good for 140 sprays, and protects up to 2 hours against mosquitoes and other biting insects. That was selling for $3.69, at our local Walmart. They also make a 'lemon eucalyptus' version that says it will repel mosquitoes up to six hours, and its also available at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Repel-Natural-Pen-Pump/16561285

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Repel-Lemon-Eucalyptus-Pen-Pump/16561281

If you don't already have some bug repellent clothing, I would give it a serious look, because it works as long as you are wearing it, and won't wash off/sweat off/rub off while you are walking or working.

What if you are exhaling Vodka? If you drink a pint of Vodka close the door stay in the A/C. The skeeters won't bother you too much.

Edited by VIS 9

OMGoodness OC..i thought you were doing a Recipe for a "Sugar" mash wert!!!(sugar,yeast,boiling water at 90degrees)..You had me there..

I will try the Trap,the Misses hates sketters!!

B)

Hi all,

If you can grow citronella in your area, rubbing the leaves on your skin will also repel mosquitoes. I also believe that NavyVet's suggestion will also work. I'm going to try out Oregonchick's idea, too!

Dr. Bones

CDC did a study here in ATL. they had a clear box loaded full of skeeters. a guy sprayed citronella on his arm and stuck his arm in the box. within about 15 seconds his arm was covered with sketters. he left his arm in for about 5 minutes. he took his arm out and left the box undisturbed for 30 minutes. he removed the skeeters and counted the dead still left. less than 2 dozen dead.

again same thing with the deet. suprisingly enough, there were only about a dozen and a half more dead,

showing that deet did work better, but not as much as everybody thought it would. i was shocked mostly with the citronella. growing up as a kid i was "taught" that citronella was the thing to use. everybody has candles, sprays, etc etc. funny thing marketing.