Sign in to follow this  
Ready?4What?

Shipping Containers

I presently have one container and two insulated trailers for storage. You can certainly use one for storage on your property. May I suggest trying to get your hands on a insulated container ( a twenty footer ) as condensation would be reduced if you have high humidity or large temperature variations from day to night. The advantage of the container are the tie-down rings as you can hang a hammock. Think about creating a fake end wall that would allow you to hide some supplies between it and the actual end wall. Remember you should use the same type of material as the other walls are covered with. If unable to locate aninsulated one the regular style will work fine but would require more work to camoflage a fake end wall. I totally agree with the idea of buryed caches as a additional resource.

If your that close to a forest you could just bury it with logs and find a way too conceal the entrance so if someone even stumbles across it from a short distance it would look like just a pile of old logs and i agree with hiding your supplies in different areas in the same area so even if someone did break in it would be just an empty container plus the logs would deter anyone who would cut it up for scrap metal just an idea

Wow, this post is still alive after a year?!? I had forgotten about it and had not even seen the last three pages. I looked into getting a container, but never heard back from any of the retailers...

I think everyone gor WAY off base with this whole thing. I was just looking for a place to store a few tools and such. Shovels, and yard eqipment to tend the property. If it ever came to it, it would be a semi-dry roof over my head if I had to BO to the land. There is NO WAY to bury the container on the land without spending 10's of thousands on logging, and blasting. Too many trees and building sized rocks. I dont mean rocks you could build with. I mean rocks the size of buildings. AS for lightning... There would be 10's of thousands of 100ft trees around it...

And as for burglary. I'm not really worried about that... You litterally have to drive a half hour thought thick virgin forest to get to it. There is nothing denoting that my land is any different than and of the 10's of thousands of acres around it. The place where I would place the container is not visible from the small two lane road. It would be a one in a million shot for anyone to ever find it by accident...

Anyway, I have abandoned the idea. I cant get any contact from container companies, and someone said they were several grand anyway... Not in my budget...

The tops and sides of container can not hold up to weight of any kind. The sides must be renforced as the top will be. On the sides we used old tires and filled them with sand, works great for earthquakes and such. They CONTAINERS can be bolted together and then welded if needed. I prefer a little flex. All the doorways we use rubber boots between the containers for flex also. You will need to waterproof the sides/top and then add 2"foam insulation, plastic wrap before the tires on the sides. The roof,we used light concrete over steel I beams that went side to side to catch the heavy side rails for support, and then foam. The inside we supported the roof while we worked on it. Cover with dirt and be happy. For ventilation the smallest pipe you can use is 6". One goes within a foot of the floor and the second one at the other end that stops 6" from the roof. Use a 180 degree bend on the top side to keep out dust and such. If you add an adaptor to the 180's and go to 8" inlet that will help cut down on a vaccum and helps keep the heavy particles in the air from coming into you shelter. I have installed computer fans to help push air out ,but not bring it in unless you know the air is good. You can also fab up a hepa filter to clean in coming air.

RR