Sign in to follow this  
inkspotdw

Doller store are nice BUT

like dollar stores because don't see paying top price for things I can get much cheaper but have to be careful got a 3 pack of Bic lighters put 1 in BOB 1 in bag in car and 1 in Rubbermaid tot for spare stuff lucky I practices my out door skills well the lighters didn't work 1 had no flint for the spark checked the 2 others 1 worked 1 had no fuel/presser guess that's why I Carry 3 ways to start a fire just sum things you dont want to cheep out on certain things.. (lesson learned)

you dont want to cheep out on certain things.. (lesson learned)

i agree with you. thing is your experience could have happened to anybody reguarding lighters.

were they actually bic lighters or some other model?

nope sometimes it doesnt pay to skimp on things. in using inkspotdw's example, and with his permission, (if we may do so inkspot) maybe we can turn his experience and post into a bit of a different direction.

what are some things that arent worth skimping on? im going for ductape. nothing like gorilla tape to get the job done.

Good example of why it's important to try stuff out before you need it in an emergency situation.

Come think of it, I'm not sure I tried out *my* bic lighters, for that matter!

I did light the cotton balls soaked in vaseline, though, those are awesome!

Sure you can my example Rick Duct Tape lighters batteries etc like you wouldn't buy rappelling rope at a doller store..

thank you. hey im talking skimping no matter where you buy it. there are just some things we really dont need to be skimping on. batteries like you said is another one. i like the copper top batteries. however my fav back in the day were the green 9v the military used. man those things held juice forever.

ok guys, what else should we not skimp on.

shoes and socks

yes yes yes! good call jerry. comfort should be something we care about even now. bad shoes will cause bad feet and seriously bad backs guys/gals, get you a quality set of shoes now for every day use.

then get you some quality hiking boots as money allows. break those boots in quickly. on the trail/road isnt the place to break in boots.

thats like reading the instructions to you first time gun as the intruder is breaking in your house.

you should always check out what you buy BEFORE you need it!!! just because it's stiil in the package doesn't mean it's gonna work!! nothing i have is still in it's original package because it's all been checked and tried out! and yes you do get what you pay for but not everyone can afford to buy state of the art gear.

like dollar stores because don't see paying top price for things I can get much cheaper but have to be careful got a 3 pack of Bic lighters put 1 in BOB 1 in bag in car and 1 in Rubbermaid tot for spare stuff lucky I practices my out door skills well the lighters didn't work 1 had no flint for the spark checked the 2 others 1 worked 1 had no fuel/presser guess that's why I Carry 3 ways to start a fire just sum things you dont want to cheep out on certain things.. (lesson learned)

This example solidify the saying: "Two is one, one is none and three is better for me!" Always have a back-up even for things that are durable. In the Marine Corps we my TOP always said: "It is better to have it and not need it, then the to need it and not have it!" Let the word to the wise be sufficient.

Desert Marine

Troy B

This example solidify the saying: "Two is one, one is none and three is better for me!" Always have a back-up even for things that are durable. In the Marine Corps we my TOP always said: "It is better to have it and not need it, then the to need it and not have it!" Let the word to the wise be sufficient.

Desert Marine

Troy B

Remember, you get what you pay for.

I don't agree. There are numerous instances where paying top dollar simply means you paid more than the next guy for the same thing. BUT, always check quality first before you go for the less expensive item. Furniture comes to mind. If you pay a lot, you just get expensive crap.

The dollar stores in our area - you have to watch them very, very close. That cheaper price really may not be. Example: Liquid bleach, smae exact size, and same exact brand. Read the bottles close and you see that the dollar store bottle has only HALF the active ingredient. So the bottle cost less but you need to use more product per use. You have to do the math!

Good point, Devildog, and something I have been seeing more of at the grocery store as wholesalers and retailers are trying to hide the actual rate of inflation from the public. Wait, before you call the tin-foil hat patrol, check your serving sizes and see that the packaging for that lunch meat or that box of cereal may be the same size but you are getting maybe 75% of the volume of a year ago and paying 20%-25% more for it.

Anyway, some things you cannot scrimp on- somebody should make a list of the no-brainers- shoes, socks, batteries. I add work clothes to the list because guys, that cr@p they sell at Walmart will not stand up to working in the fields all day, everyday. Even more, be willing to pay for warm clothes that are durable and will last even rough washing.

I love to hit Dollar Stores for certain items, like cotton balls, alcohol (the rubbing kind, the other is just scary), small toiletry items for stocking up and building bug-out bags. Also, if you have stores in your area like Tuesday Morning, Ross, Big Lots, Marshall's, you can find some really good deals on even better quality items than your average Dollar Store will stock. If you can learn to buy your clothes out of season you can stock up on some really high quality coats and sweaters in the summertime for 10-20% of retail, just make sure what you are buying is excess stock and not damaged merchandise, seconds or returns.

Most Dollar Stores are having some promo items this week......Planters Peanut Butter with cranberries 12 oz size.....a really great buy. If is not on the shelf...ask for it. My store was only putting out 10 jars at a time...pissed me off....asked the manager for 10 jars and he got them from the back.