Sign in to follow this  
oregonchick

Ever thought of micro-hydroelectricity?

Solar and wind power are probably more accessible at more BOLs, but if you have a year-round creek on the site of your country retreat, you may be able to set up a small hydroelectric turbine that will allow you to have steady power no matter what the weather is like. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.lifeunplugged.net/alternativeenergy/off-grid-micro-hydro-electricity.aspx

http://www.hydro-turbines.com/id82.html

Again, it doesn't sound like this is something that will work at every location. But for those of us in wetter climates, or those with running water nearby, it could be a viable alternative to other forms of generating power without the help of a local utility company. And since we've been using hydroelectricity on larger scales for years, you may be able to find more ways to adapt it and more parts/designs than you would for newer technology.

Just thought I'd pass the idea along...

Hope it does work for you! It had never occurred to me and I hadn't seen any posts about it here, so I figured I'd pass the idea along. Reliable off-the-grid power would make any BOL a much happier place to be, that's for sure.

Yes and I posted about it in detail

unless we can get it from humidity here in Texas it is only going to help very few as most do not live near running water and some rivers branches dry up to a step over water leak.

Weird - I actually looked for a post with that in the title and didn't see it. Sorry to have missed your wisdom! Hmm... A way to convert humidity into electricity would be an incredibly popular technology. If I ever have an inspiration, I'll let you know - as soon as I've gotten it patented. LOL

It was probably on one of my rants

the bosnians used a pallet and crammed flotation in it used a vehicle generator and attached paddles

ran wires to the bridge and anchored the pallet and took turns avoiding being shot by snipers

taking batteries out on the bridge and connecting them to be charged took about an hour or two.

like an old style paddle boat with a belt to drive the alternator..

It was probably on one of my rants

the bosnians used a pallet and crammed flotation in it used a vehicle generator and attached paddles

ran wires to the bridge and anchored the pallet and took turns avoiding being shot by snipers

taking batteries out on the bridge and connecting them to be charged took about an hour or two.

like an old style paddle boat with a belt to drive the alternator..

Was in Branson this weekend at silver dollar city ( an amusement park with a 1800's backwoods motiff celebrating the heritage of the ozark mountain people and their ways) and they have several waterwheel setup and I was actually putting some real thought into this subject and I came up with the same idea basically, we have a fair number of regular streams around here so it could be done, along with a solar panel or two and a windmill, a water turbine even in a seasonal stream bed would really hedge your bets......power rain or shine.. Oh and snake we have a little history down southern Missouri with some groups called " bald knobbers" they seem like your kind folk?....and an interesting tale that we could see repeated after TSHTF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald_Knobbers

Edited by DonDon
Forgot link

You are an angel Oregonchick!

We do have a lot of hydropower in Norway, but the smallest i have seen here is so big that it can power several farms, and i dont need that at my Bol.

Not a problem whit to much elecktrisity of corse, but a plant like that will cost me more than a years inncome.

Thank you fore the good links!

Ranger

I was daydreaming bout this for a minute. Could you not retro-fit a wind turbine to work as a hydro-electric turbine ? Or for that matter (given precautions for water containment) rig up a car alternator + paddles reaching out to the water flow ?

Thanks for the site recommendation, Dangerwolfe! NavyVet, I think that would be completely possible - in fact, I think that some other posters mentioned that Bosnians did that as a way of getting power when SHTF there. Ranger - hope that you find a solution that works on the scale you need it to.

This might be very naive of me, not knowing much about hydroelectricity, but would it be possible to integrate a very small-scale setup like this into an Aquaponics system? Nothing major, of course, but something capable of powering a couple of small grow lights or something like that.

This might be very naive of me, not knowing much about hydroelectricity, but would it be possible to integrate a very small-scale setup like this into an Aquaponics system? Nothing major, of course, but something capable of powering a couple of small grow lights or something like that.

You can get small electric motors in all sizes, Im sure with a lil bit of Hydroponics product research you'll be able to find something suitable.

might be more suitable to find a small 9v-12v electric motor and connect it to a couple mini solar panels, in order to move water for your hydroponics.

You may want to look at this site .... it has some very interesting devices as well as appears to have been in business long enough to know what they are doing.

http://www.wire-wiz.com/

This site has some interesting stuff you might like as well.

http://aquaponics.com/

Hope this of use.

That wire biz site is pretty good the wind turbines are alternator not generator based so they can not be so easily damaged by high winds and the hydro is rated at 2.4 kWh per day wish they put pricing on the site so I would know just how much I can't afford them! Damn found price list looks like the harbor freight solar panels are still my plan

The tow generator is a good looking idea it could be mounted on a log across a stream and has a wind conversion kit

Edited by DonDon