Sign in to follow this  
NavyVet_77

When did you realize you need to Prep? Your awakening moment?

Did/do you read Science Fiction?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Did/do you read Science Fiction?

• Yes and I think it may have influenced me.
    • Yes but I don't think it had any influence on me.
    • Did and still do
    • Did but don't now
    • No
    • Didn't but do now

I've just put a poll up here.

It occurred to me that almost EVERY sci-fi story I've read (well over 75% at least) contain a TEOTWAWKI scenario buried in them somewhere. Think of even the classics. The Foundation Triliogy for example was a TEOTWAWKI on a galactic scale! The Mote in God's Eye from a more recent set or the entire Babylon 5 series or the old 'Space 1999' thing or 'When Worlds Collide' (OK, that's a bit obvious) or 'On the Beach'..... but you get the point. Even ignoring the obvious, agenda driven stuff (2012 or 'An Inconvenient truth'- really?) or questionable TSHTF events like in Colossus, there are a LOT of stories that take place after "the third world war" or the Great Plague or the alien invasion or zombie attack or Godzilla or ......

So the question for my poll - Did you read science fiction when you were growing up. Do you read it now? Do you think it might have had an impact on your willingness to consider prepping?

It was about three years ago when I got my current job. Realizing how hopelessly unprepared average sheeple are really hit me the first 6 months I was here. It also gave me a very real and clear understanding of just how delicate the fabric that holds our daily, normal lives together really is. Not being prepared equates to being a victim, and can certainly turn you into a victim.

My youngest unforgetable SCI-FI memories:

V (mini-series)

Superman

War of the Worlds (PBS TV Series back in early 80's)

It's been non-stop sci-fi since then

i believe being such a sci-fi fan, did make it easy for me to adopt a 'survivalist' attitude.

Edited by NavyVet_77

It was about three years ago when I got my current job. Realizing how hopelessly unprepared average sheeple are really hit me the first 6 months I was here. It also gave me a very real and clear understanding of just how delicate the fabric that holds our daily, normal lives together really is. Not being prepared equates to being a victim, and can certainly turn you into a victim.

Sheeple.. thats awsome

i basically started basic bug out when huricane david hit Savanah Ga. I was stationed at Ft stewart and it didnt do that much damage to us,but decided to keep a case of C rats and a 5 Gal water can ready. for those of you who dont know c rats were issued to troops before the MRE came into being. Anyway that was the extent of my prepping until couple months ago. Just woke one day and got to thinking that i really need to get better prepared and heed my younger brothers advice.hes been at it for about 15 yrs.

yeppers

nana na na nana nanana the muppets song cause that's what they want us to be a bunch of muppets.

with their hand stuck up our nether regions..........speaking for us making us do what they want us too.

IMO

well da snake,they're puppetmasters,soooo they want us as puppets.hehehe

For me, it was a gradual awakening during 2011. It started with lots of flooding in the area I lived. My wife and 7 week old daughter couldn't get out of our apartment complex because the bridge had been flooded out, and I couldn't get to them until late that night. Then there was the night of tornadoes the week after that. Then the microburst of June which brought a tree down on the building 40ft from us, trapping the resident. All this while unemployed. Thankful I've been hired since then and everything's stable again, but I don't ever want to be caught unprepared. I began thinking, "What if something really bad hit. Would I be able to get back to my family during work hours? Would they be okay without me?"

Not to mention all the break-ins my city's had in the past several years. When the economy really went bad in '09 and ’10, there was a report every single day of a home invasion. We never really got around to getting a firearm, but now that we have a child we're planning to have something later this year.

yeppers

nana na na nana nanana the muppets song cause that's what they want us to be a bunch of muppets.

with their hand stuck up our nether regions..........speaking for us making us do what they want us too.

IMO

Things most be better in Texas.....cuz round here I don't think that's their hand!

I grew up on a farm, so my folks didn't call it prepping. It was just what you did. We had a huge garden and an orchard and access to wild berries, and put up what we needed for the year. We butchered a hog, shared a side of beef, and bought chickens from the neighbor up the road. We also traded that neighbor baked goods for eggs. We only went to town for bread stuff and dairy. So when I finally got a yard I put in a garden and started canning. I've tried to look for ways to cut costs by doing as much for myself as possible. Then my folks got another piece of land out in the country with no utilities and that really got me thinking of self sustainability.

I stumbled across prepping in just the last year maybe. We'd always had the cars somewhat stocked for emergency and had heard about bug-out bags and thought about putting one together, but hadn't really considered all the possibilities. So now we're trying to figure out hunting and alternative heating among other things.

I know there's some controversy over the Prepper's shows, but I think they are getting people thinking. Friends that I would call city slickers (and I mean no harm by that term, my hubby is totally a city boy) have been asking about bug out bags, and "have I ever thought about putting up food", and "you know medical supplies would be really important too". My neighbor flat out asked us if we were preppers while I was filling my pots for my garden this year and then went on about the economy, and had we seen that show. All in the last month or so. Totally took me off guard.

People sometimes call me a pessimism just because I`m always thinking of ways to protect

myself and family from a event,natural or human made,I guest it must be that exmilitary training or mentallity,or maybe that as a child my father was always storing food or preserving it for that rainy day,which is always around the corner, we never run out of food ,

even after living with a ration card,we always manage to barter with food and thigs that we hand made.

The point of this short story,is another one,one that we all know.

The story of the 3 little pigs,remember that one.B)

People sometimes call me a pessimism just because I`m always thinking of ways to protect

myself and family from a event,natural or human made,I guest it must be that exmilitary training or mentallity,or maybe that as a child my father was always storing food or preserving it for that rainy day,which is always around the corner, we never run out of food ,

even after living with a ration card,we always manage to barter with food and thigs that we hand made.

The point of this short story,is another one,one that we all know.

The story of the 3 little pigs,remember that one.B)

Interesting, ready. You're right about the 3 little pigs - I usually think of the grasshopper and ant when I think of nursery rhymes and prepping but ........ there is also the 'Little Red Hen' who 'did it herself'. I've not looked at the fables and nursery rhymes in a while but there seems to be a 'prepping' trend in the old stuff. Figure those guys knew something about nature we've forgotten. I wonder what the new kiddie stories look like? I'm almost afraid to find out - I'm pretty sure they aren't about self reliance and keeping your word.

For me it was hurricane Irene. Storm wasnt even supposed to hit our area that hard. Ended up losing power for almost a week. Couldnt even leave for first three days because of downed trees and flooded roads. Thankfully I filled the bathtub with water the night of the storm and had some supplies. My family left when the roads were cleared but I stayed. After that it really changed my mindset. I want to be able to take care of my family and dont want to have to rely on help from others. Plus I grew up on a small hobby farm and Ive been missing that way of life.

I started to prep about a year before I went into the military. When i finally got out; I really got into it. I guess it was because of the way I saw people living after they were in a war or were there was genocide.

I moved to Mobile about a month after Ivan hit in 2004. At first, hurricanes freaked me out. Then I got to the point that I'd stock up on food and such and then throw a party. About that time, KATRINA. Not much of an impact here, but Waveland MS was reduced to concrete house foundations. When I flew over at low altitude and saw that....I really freaked out. Such a big fuss was made over new Orleans that nobody realized Waveland was gone! Shortly after that I started carrying a Get Home Bag although I didn't know I was starting to prep. It was probably a year ago that I started reading up and seriously learning about prepping.

To answer the original question: Probably the first time I saw the movie Red Dawn as just a little kid... my dad had already been prepping quite a bit, but I think that was the first time I decided that I needed to be brought into the fold.

WOLVERINES!

I was in middle school and read alas Babylon and it really opened my eyes to a lot of what ifs. It's always been in the back of my mind but recently I've started getting serious into it. Working to make myself ready to handle as much as I can from mother nature and from mankind and a bug out bag for when I cant

To answer the original question: Probably the first time I saw the movie Red Dawn as just a little kid... my dad had already been prepping quite a bit, but I think that was the first time I decided that I needed to be brought into the fold.

WOLVERINES!

Watching that movie with the kids had a huge effect on them as well and opened several conversations since about prepping and our rights and obligations as Americans.......when asked after the fall of the iron curtain of a high ranking Soviet military defector if they never attacked the us because they feared a conventional war or nuclear, he laughed and said neither, with china as an ally a conventional war was theirs, and no one was stupid enough to launch a nuke attack, they simply knew that they couldn't occupy the USA because we have to many civilians with guns "many time worse than Afganistan and much bigger!" in the end they didn't fear our Army or our goverment, but they were terrorified of us.

Watching that movie with the kids had a huge effect on them as well and opened several conversations since about prepping and our rights and obligations as Americans.......when asked after the fall of the iron curtain of a high ranking Soviet military defector if they never attacked the us because they feared a conventional war or nuclear, he laughed and said neither, with china as an ally a conventional war was theirs, and no one was stupid enough to launch a nuke attack, they simply knew that they couldn't occupy the USA because we have to many civilians with guns "many time worse than Afganistan and much bigger!" in the end they didn't fear our Army or our goverment, but they were terrorified of us.

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." Isoroku Yamamoto, Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II.

born and raised on a 206 acre farm, always prepping in one way or another.------------- we just called it "getting by".

That's it, that how I learned it, just left the farm and stopped thinking that way for too long, now trying to play catchup to where I was 25 years ago!