Sign in to follow this  
NavyVet_77

When did you realize you need to Prep? Your awakening moment?

Did/do you read Science Fiction?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Did/do you read Science Fiction?

• Yes and I think it may have influenced me.
    • Yes but I don't think it had any influence on me.
    • Did and still do
    • Did but don't now
    • No
    • Didn't but do now

I got into prepping because of my girlfriend. She mentioned she wanted to have a "survival bag" that she could grab to GOOD if something bad happened. We didn't even know that something like that was called a bug-out-bag. I thought, "what the hell, not a bad idea"... so I did a google search and stumbled onto Survival Cache. The rest was down hill. The more I read, the more I realized how unprepared I was for even the slightest SHTF scenario.

Now I have EDC items, a GHB, and a BOB. I've also started learning skills that would be useful in a SHTF scenario. Everything I do to prepare is dual purpose (Prepare and recreational). This way it doesn't impede on my quality of life. I don't want to end up like one of these people from Dooms-Day Preppers that have their entire life revolving around some event that is unlikely to happen. Although, I realize some even'ts are actually not that unlikely. In fact, some events may be inevitable. Hence, I prepare.

O.K it was zombie movies. I also read a "what if" article about a guy who goes to work and sees long lines around banks and grocery stores and dosn't pay much attention to it. He gets out of work and notices that there are people running around everywhere, so he goes to a store and it is cleaned out, the atms are either empty or damaged. So he gets scared and goes home, his wife tells him the stock market crashed and people are going wild everywhere. He starts to check his situation out and they have no food in the house and only 20 bullets for his .38.

Soon some thugs kick his door in and attacked him and his wife, they rob him take his gun and what little supplies they have and leave them beaten and with nothing.

The story was told so the reader get really involved and I have to admit it scared the hell out of me. So I started stockpiling everything. My wife and kids had a lot of fun with me knowing I watch too many zombie flicks so it took a while to get them on board,but now we all prep certain amounts.

Looking at the world today and the cost of guns and ammo I am glad I started 10 years ago.

Zombie movie high five!

And I Jealous of you for starting 10 years ago. I'm looking at the market trying to fill that 6-12 month itch for a new firearm and coming to the conclusion that what I want would be an irresponsibly large amount of money to spend (Arsenal ak74). So I arrived at the middle ground of whoring my body out to a medical study for the money. Everyone wins.

If you're serious I hope you read the fine print. There wont be any need to survive if your health is affected badly.

Just woke up one day and had a feeling in my gut, looked around and remembered my grandfather saying" have two winters food in the cupboard" as you all know there are things afoot that just make ya what to hedge your bets.

after watching dawn of the dead remake in 2004 :)

no seriously i grew up with the mindset because my parents were very much preppers before prepping was cool. hence why i guess i don't buy my ammo by the box but by the case :). then the Marines and a wife who came from a family who always had their own veggies from a garden and canned their own stuff only reinforced it.

I grew up in post-war Germany and remember the shortage of food! But then everybody started gardening and canning, baking and bartering their wares and things started to improve. After I got to the US and did my time in the service, I got too used to the American good life and kinda forgot about the old ways. Then came Y2K and I got going and havn't looked back since.

We've already had numerous power outages, water mains broken, no money etc and we were fine, because the resources were in place.

Zombie movie high five!

And I Jealous of you for starting 10 years ago. I'm looking at the market trying to fill that 6-12 month itch for a new firearm and coming to the conclusion that what I want would be an irresponsibly large amount of money to spend (Arsenal ak74). So I arrived at the middle ground of whoring my body out to a medical study for the money. Everyone wins.

Its amazing what a person will do when properly motivated. AK74 ammo is dirt cheap right now.....

I think Katrina did it for me. I wasn't directly affected, but worked here in central TX helping to process people who came here to escape New Orleans or other areas. So many people had absolutely nothing with them except for what they had been given along the way. I decided that I would never be in the position of having nothing with me, but it took me a while to learn exactly what I would need. My first BOB (and I didn't call it that) was a huge totebag, nothing you'd want to haul for long. I've learned a lot since then, and have finally gotten a backpack.

Great stories! I used to joke about zombies and whatnot, got my inner boyscout thinking in that direction. Then I got hip to the Federal Reserve scam and everything went downhill from there.

I read Ferfal's book about the Argentina collapse, and that got me in gear to prepare for disaster.

Oh and I live in Los Angeles, riot and earthquake central.

About the zombies? Well you know what the our founding fathers used to say "if your ready for zombies your ready for anything" No I see zombies as pretty low on the list expected shtf.

If your talking about being a human lab rat most of the stuff I volunteer for is diet studies. They get a base line in a fasting period then set me loose with a basket of things to eat at regular intervals or a list of things not to eat. This one is having me drink 3 cans of sugary drink a day for 20 days to see how it affects my metabolism. I would never volunteer for the kind of studies that could turn me into a zombie with experimental Z drugs.

well that doesn't sound so bad then lol

It's been a slow build process watching first hand the decline of the USA, the West and the environment in the last 30 years due in a large part to the push for globalization. The final push for me came with the US Credit Crunch/bailout and mostly recently the Euro crisis. Just started paying attention I guess.

Hope for the best plan for the worst. Probably more rough waters ahead but the prepared will make it though. Times are still relatively very good and little excuse not to take advantage and prepare.

Wolfe

Edited by Dangerwolfe

Mike, I would agree that some things have improved in some areas of some countries with clean-up efforts and all the exporting of US/Western industries to China. Over-all I would not agree. If you don't want to believe the green BS, no worries here, I'm not going to debate you.

My wake up call happened August of last year. I got stationed in Germany back in 2007 and was there for 4 yrs Well 1 of those years was in Iraq. Well i got stationed in Killeen in August and I was having a hard time adapting to the change that has happened in just that short of time. Its hard for me to explain but this isnt what I left. It seems majority of Americans only think about themselves. So I was thinking what if a bigger 9/11 happened or a chaos like Katrina incident happened nation wide or whatever else could happen. I truly believe that it would be hell on earth and a battle of the fittest free for all. You wont be able to rely on the Govt and with lack of communication the military would most likely disperse (cause us soldiers love our paycheck) or some form of shadow govt will form with a PFC in charge etc etc etc. So I just want to be prepared. Im not crazy I just kinda enjoy thinking about WCS

Wolfe: the environment has actually greatly improved in the U.S. over the last 30 years, tho you would never know it with all the green BS we are fed daily.

I have to agree with you here.....these fracking tree huggers won't be happy until the worlds population is cut in half and the rest are living in eviro friendly huts. That is why we are always under attack in this country by them, we are the worlds leader in almost everything and in their minds we are responsible for all the planets problems.

I believe it all started back with the Y2K bit. I have alway been more of an outdoorsman-love to hunt, fish, camp, etc.-than a city person. We loose electric alot, esp. in the winter when in the temp is in single digits, so I have to be somewhat prepared with generator & wood for the fire place under normal conditions. It is natural for me to just extend that for preparing for a worse disaster. Joined this forum to better prepare myself for the worst case senerio.

I believe it all started back with the Y2K bit. I have alway been more of an outdoorsman-love to hunt, fish, camp, etc.-than a city person. We loose electric alot, esp. in the winter when in the temp is in single digits, so I have to be somewhat prepared with generator & wood for the fire place under normal conditions. It is natural for me to just extend that for preparing for a worse disaster. Joined this forum to better prepare myself for the worst case senerio.

Good thinking for joining a forum. I miss my own country-boy upbringing. It would sure make my prep situation easier I think. having to pay for every bite and every sip of water, no storage space for long-term supplies at home, no bug-in possible.. really suks