Sign in to follow this  
NavyVet_77

Unarmed? Watched Jason Statham and Jackie Chan movies-- for fun

Not to give you delusions of grandure.. but these 2 guys are true martial arts badarses. They never have a gun or knife. ALOT of aerobics and dexterity, using whatever you find near you as a weapon.

Their fighting styles use intelligence and resourcefulness. WHen using an item as a weapon they rarely hit with the intent to kill or maime, but to disrupt and confuse the opponent. WHen an enemy is disrupted and confused, this then can create and opportune moment to effect an escape, or manipulate that moment to restrain the opponent.

Between Jason and Jackie, I think Jackie is more resourceful minded, as he is of lesser stature than Jason S.

Simply out-smart your opponent, not out-box your opponent.

As adorable as Jackie Chan is, I'm afraid nothing he pulls in the movies would work. The universal method of melee combat is keep your feet grounded, legs apart, mild crouch, primary hand in (preferably with weapon) and secondary hand to set up the strike. Best Kung Fu stance? Crouching Sniper, Neon Target.

While yes, they both are martial artists, remember a lot of what they do is pure theatrics. Watch Statham in any of the Transporter movies. The best one is T2, the garage scene. He uses a firehose to take out like 10 guys and in such a way that when he turned the water on it trapped them all in some way....really. Or when he kicks the nozzle and it hits the guy in the head. Granted, most self defense studies worth anything teach you closest weapon closest target and use any weapon of opportunity. There are viable moves in those types of movies, but unless you know the mechanics behind it, and how to get to that move to begin with, its useless. They aren't just going to give you an opening to do a sweet move, you have to work the fight to your advantage and seize the opening to do it...and you may only have a split second, its like a chess match.

When the mixed martial arts first started there were lots of kung fu and karate guys in the mix. Over time though they faded out. It is hard to kung fu someone after they grab you, throw you on the ground and strangle you into unconsciousness or break your arms or legs. In the end, judo and it's jujitsu cousins mixed with plain ole boxing skills is tough to beat.

When you take someone to the ground it becomes mostly a test of strength and technique. If you are a big boy like me that's the way to go. If you are smaller you need to work on avoiding in close contact and in that case the kicking and hitting are better. In the real world trying to beat someone to death with your bare hands is a losing proposal. A big guy against a little guy with a big knife is bad news for the big guy. Either against a midget with a gun is in trouble.

In my experience there is a learning curve in martial arts. I've watched several new black belts get just STOMPED by some guy in a bar because they were so sure of themselves they forgot the most important rule...Hit FIRST, hit hard and don't EVER let the other guy hit you. That is the difference between a fight and a butt kicking. I avoid fights but when I decide you need your butt kicked it is over for you before you know a fight has started. I wore steel toed engineer boots when I rode my bike and to bars. Once you were down you NEVER got up.

Edited by Danm

Guest kevin

pretty fighting is a fairytale.....what defence do you use when a guy rips your ear off....or bites off a nose?

stop thinking sweet kicks and awesome jumps are effective.....they are just fun to watch.....fighting's dirty and ugly. Thanks Dan.

Real tough guys are Jon ‘Bones’ Jones and Anderson ‘The Spider’ Silva. These two guys will stomp a mud hole in your ass while smiling and without working up a sweat. The movie guys are good, but Bones and Silva are great… and they don’t pull their punches and they use every part of their bodies to inflict pain to their opponents.

I personally like biting! Let me get you down and when I clamp onto you its over. Even Silva wouldn't know how to react to having chunks bitten off and while he was freaking I'd probably crush his wind pipe or gouge out an eye. There are NO rules when you are fighting to survive.

Even mixed martial artists are at a disadvantage in a real fight because they have to fight themselves to break the rules that I never learned. My Dad always said that if my enemy was bigger than me it just meant that I needed a bigger stick and to come up from behind. Silva and such DO pull their punches and don't take advantage of the very BEST holds. I grabbed a bad dude by his balls one time and then refused to let go until he was just foaming at the mouth. He probably could have stomped me but alas he was busy telling me what he was going to do when I decided to end it.

I grabbed him with my right hand; (man, those loose pants don't offer a dude ANY protection like tight jeans did!!!) then poked him hard in the throat and then poked him in the eyes. When I turned him loose he dropped and I talked to him with my steel toe boots. NEVER tell someone that you are going to stomp them!! It might make them angry and they might not want to talk about it.

LOL, a few months later he tried me again and learned that there are things worse than bringing a knife to a gun fight. I saw him coming and before he was even close he was looking down the barrel of a shotgun. I took mercy on his silly ass and explained to him that I really didn't want to kill him but that next time it was going to happen. I explained that I was too old to play fight and that he needed to play with people his own age cause us old farts don't have much sense of humor. He turned out to be smarter than I thought and understood.

I'm NOT a bad ass. I will always back up if I can. I will nearly always apologize if it will make them happy. Where I'm different is in the fact that once I decide there is going to be a problem I take action and do so in a devastating fashion. I will go up side your head with a bear bottle, mug, pool cue or whatever is at hand. I will then hurt you bad enough that you can't pursue me before turning my back on you. Big, young or strong is nice but I am a lot more dangerous than I was when I was a kid because I KNOW you will hurt me if I give you a chance. Have you older dudes noticed how much more painful things are now than when you were a kid?????

Guest kevin

just getting to that age dan....don't like it much but what do ya do....damn skin isn't as tough as it used to be, i bleed with every little scratch....but like dad says,"getting old ain't for pu$$ies".....old farts STILL tougher than i am.