Sign in to follow this  
Rod

Survival Coins

I plan for economic decline in the world. I believe that is what we are in the early stages of right now. It is also the most predominate scenario over the past couple thousand years.

This type of scenario means that it is imperative to protect you assets, especially in the early stages.

How far would this decline take us? Most likely past the point where money not backed by precious metals would no longer be accepted. Every single economy that has disassociated its currency from precious metals has suffered this decline. That is where the U.S. currency is right now.

Here is a link to an excellent article that would be worth your time to read.

http://www.cmi-gold-silver.com/small-survival-gold-silver-coins.html

I think that if this scenario were to play out that the cities would lose most of their population. Not explosively, like a electric grid failure would cause, but more like the Depression-era migration where people left to find work or a place to farm.

Those in the country with gardens, chickens, livestock, and access to water would have to protect themselves because, unlike the 1930's, the population is much more concentrated in the cities and is much larger than thoses times. There might not be room in the country to absorb them.

Crime would soar and families and groups of people would be on their own to form protective associations. The government would be largely ineffective because they are geared to providing services to people who are concentrated in cities. Rural areas would be left to fend for themselves.

There are many implications to this scenario and certainly being prepared will put you in a much better position.

Im completely in agreement with the junk silver coins.However,for every junk coin I purchase,I buy a box or 2 of ammo.Not saying the silver is not going to have its uses,its just having been in some nasty areas where it was " Dog-eat-Dog ",ammo(and boots,woobies,TP) held sway as currency....just my 2 cents

Silver is down to $31.61..if your going to purchase a small amount NOW is the time to Hedge your bet.

When it hits $50.00 an oz.

WE ARE ON THE WAY..JMHO

I have been talking with my wife about prepping, and she is kind of on board. She is more of the view that something biblical is coming (end of times) while I am more of the opinion that an economic implosion is the most likely thing. Regardless, she might be persuaded to switch some of our savings into precious metals.

My point in quoting was, what was silver at if it is 'down to' $31.61? I have -very- limited knowledge of precious metals, other than they are historically the most stable currency known, and you will rarely, if ever, lose money on them.

I have been talking with my wife about prepping, and she is kind of on board. She is more of the view that something biblical is coming (end of times) while I am more of the opinion that an economic implosion is the most likely thing. Regardless, she might be persuaded to switch some of our savings into precious metals.

My point in quoting was, what was silver at if it is 'down to' $31.61? I have -very- limited knowledge of precious metals, other than they are historically the most stable currency known, and you will rarely, if ever, lose money on them.

Right now silver is in a "mini" slump. Last year it reached a high of about $40/oz. Then it dropped to about $34/oz. Ten years ago it was at $5/oz. Most of the increase has come over the last decade. There is "speculation" it will hit $100/oz by the end of this year. I hope not because it would mean that the end is near. :o

Silver is down to $31.61...

That means that the purchase Warren Buffet made that is discussed in that article would be worth just shy of $4.1 billion today. Wow.

Getting gold and silver that is appropriate for barter post-economic collapse is definitely something I hope to do, but this is a good kick in the rear to actually START doing it even in little amounts, while it's still "affordable" to do so. It's certainly NOT going to seem affordable if you wait too long.

In another thread I talked about trading in some old jewelry for Silver coins. That got me started. Now I buy a one ounce coin every week. Yeah, you're paying a premium and sales tax (that puts a Silver Eagle currently at about $37) but I just look at it like another savings account. At the end of the year that's fifty two ounces of Silver. Occasionally I may make larger purchases, but this way I'll at least have something. Also,on barter transactions (like trading Gold) or purchases over $1,500 there is no sales tax.

In my area a Silver Eagle (or Maple Leaf, or Brittania) goes for spot plus $3. A silver round (a coin printed from an unofficial mint) goes for spot plus $1.60. If I sell a Silver Eagle back I get spot, and a round spot minus $1. So in the end the bullion (Silver Eagle, Maple Leaf,etc.) is 40 cents more than the rounds. I would rather pay 40 cents more for the bullion with a recognized pedigree than a round from some random mint. But that's just me. Some people like junk silver (it's probably good to have this as well) but I prefer fine Silver. Not to be a snob but I just think when the chips are down people might be more reticent to accept junk silver or rounds and would be more comfortable with fine bullion.

Edited by PatzerDave

I bought silver when it was around $46 an ounce :(

I've done quite a bit of research on the topic though. Silver should actually be 15% the cost of gold. Right now its MUCH MUCH MUCH lower. Many people are expecting it to reach $140-150 in some time.

Over the next 2-3 years (can't recall the exact time-frame) we are in a surplus of silver. Meaning, we are recycling and pulling out more silver to exceed demand. However, after the next 2-3 years, the demand will exceed the supply of silver.

Silver is the best conductor known to man and is used in just about all electronics. The majority of silver's use is commercial. For this and other reasons, I believe silver to be an excellent investment at this time. I'm fairly confident it will rise in price over the next few years. I'm also not the only one.

I don't see Silver as just an investment. I see it as an insurance policy. After all, insurance is just a way to manage risk.

Edited by exit

In `1999 I bought 120 American Silver Eagles (1oz) for $8.00 apiece. I bought gold Eagles at the same time for $246 each (1oz) I still have the silver eagles and will keep them until they reach $50 and then I'll sell. I also have a bunch of other coinage some in silver, some collectable and some just cause like 500 Susan B Anthony Dollars and two buckets full of pennies. Hey I paid a dollar each and a penny each for them I can't lose. I like coins they always are worth something even if I just turn them into arrow heads or something.

I like coins they always are worth something even if I just turn them into arrow heads or something.

LOL...thats a good way of looking at it.

I think if the dollar imploded silver and gold coins would skyrocket. So I plan to hang on to them for quite some time.....past even $50

buy rolls of mercury dimes

1963 and earlier I think they are 90% silver not sure but enough to be a value for barter buying

they have a specific weight small enough to use for trade and know what each

is getting and not large enough if you have a few to be a target for robbery like one ounce coins or ingots

I cannot understand the purchase of larger than one ounce coins or ingots as it will not be usable

except for large purchases and how will you deal with change chips or cut coins have been used

but they still had a mark that identified the original coinage it was cut from or it would be considered

suspect and not accepted for payment.

i cannot understand the purchase of larger than one ounce coins or ingots as it will not be usable

except for large purchases and how will you deal with change chips or cut coins have been used

but they still had a mark that identified the original coinage it was cut from or it would be considered

suspect and not accepted for payment.

e x a c t l y.

Snake has a good point,but the exact weight of each coin needs to be known!

I have seen the chart and will try to find it.

Get out of Dodge coins are marked in 1/4th ..so somebody is thinking..

I just don't see silver or gold as shtf comodity. it seems more like a long term investment or a recovery asset. I don't think i could find someone who would know what to do with silver coins in 1/4 mile. but a roll of TP on the other hand that has serious value to anyone without it. If theres no local demand for gold and silver coins other then the jewery maker in town then you would be shit out of luck trying to offer all your silver coins for a bag of corn. The guy with 10 rolls of TP to trade might get it though.

right long term recovery asset but it is the ones who plan ahead that will have a better chance to

restart in a family business better than not having it and you have to start from nothing.

I have 40 rolls of scott prison stationary and 12 rolls of VIVA paper towels overstock

plenty of soap laundry and antibacterial dish soap and borax and other bar soaps

I am a garage sale and auction junkie a lot of good soap and cleaning goods go for cheap

agreed that basic needs will be a commodity in hard times as will exotic fruits and medical supplies

I have many options I do not want to not be able to bathe or have clean clothes or get secondary

infections from improper cleanliness.

And last but not least I do not want a rainbow colored azzhole from using old magazines for TP

Normally the minumum purchase is 200oz of silver or more from a business like CMI. However, Ebay is considered to be a great source for you to purchase just a couple of ounces.

I stopped in a couple local dealers over the last few weeks and was surprised that they were pretty much completely out of silver except for some coins.

Don't make the mistake of assuming the jump directly to a barter economy. There will be a long slide where paper money looses its value. Most likely due to inflation. That period is very important because it is when you should be protecting your assets with precious metal.

It is really good to hear that so many of you are already thinking along those lines.

I am looking at gold/silver as a possible trade item for farmers. Lets say there there is a -major- long term SHTF or TEOTWAWKI. You and your family make it through the worst times, which I dont envision being longer than a year, more likely 3-6 months. You have a garden, your doing ok, but supplies are running low. Hunting is almost non existant, because unless your in some extremely remote location, people are going to over hunt and kill anything that moves for the first few months to avoid starvation.

Now if there are any farms near you that managed to preserve thier livestock, they will most likely have a surplus. Think about it, something like 5% or less of americans are farmers, yet they feed the other 95%, plus some of the rest of the world. So they will have a surplus of animals or crops that they will need to sell or trade. Now dont get me wrong, if I am the farmer I would trade for *anything* useful... ammo, TP, soap, clothing, candles etc. But silver and gold I would also trade for, because I should have already traded for lots of the more common items like ammo, TP, etc.

At least thats the way I can see it happening in a sudden, big SHTF. If its a more slow economic collapse, the same applies, just change the timetables.

I agree with all these assessments / possibilities

that is why I prep for all angles of this spiney cactus that is the problem for recent preppers

and why they should hurry and have a serious plan and why I push A 22LR and beaucoup Ammo.

Is 22 long rifle perfect NO but neither is any other for the same money you get hundreds of rounds

versus 20 example my price per 100 is $7.27 + tax for 223 or 5.56 a quick internet check shows

$4.37 for 20 round now add shipping.

Protection first food 90 day+ needed medications and first aid .and numerous other needs

water treatment water storage and BOB gear it all takes money and I have been doing this a long

time my last trip to wally world I bought a normal months worth and the prices have jumped

significantly.

everyone need to quit arguing because to some degree everyone is right and any scenario your

going to need every scrap of wisdom from books, every piece of gear and all you can accumulate

between now and SHOWTIME.

Hell Ammo cans that were military scrap /surplus and cost a few bucks are now 12 to 20 bucks

there could be an economic slide or a snap like the first depression or a pandemic even many other

ideas one common factor I know we must agree on is those who have not prepared are in dire

straits.

I cannot see where any particular event makes any difference EMP if you have stored your survival

electronics, batteries and lights in metal cans insulated from contact with the metal inside and there

is a earthquake or any other natural disaster they are protected and they are easily grabbed and placed

in your BOV so where is the problem it works is keeps it safe and dry and organized.

JUST DO IT. my reasoning for getting the firearm first is during the L.A. riots gun sales were suspended

doesn't any one remember that if someone start to fear a populace unrest it could happen again.

and for those just on the bandwagon they will be at a distinct disadvantage in the ability to protect

themselves from the numerous murders thieves and thugs who are already bursting our prisons and jails

at the seams.

Power is wonderful but a smart car can kill you if you step in front of it just like a diesel truck

if a family only had a 22 and a 12 gauge they are head and shoulders above a family with only one

BLACK gun because the price is over 1K just for the 1 ROD without any accessories.

pistols are becoming expensive as well as ammo shotgun ammo is almost a buck around

go to www.cheaperthandirt.com and look how much ammo is out of stock

survival coins YES everything else YES just get moving our countries ability to come to the rescue

or willingness as here in Texas the powers that be are refusing to give us federal emergency funds

for our fires and other disasters what if your state is next if you have not noticed 700 billion on top

of the bailout package was handed out 3 different solar companies a alcohol plant and they all went

broke in America how in the hell does a company that makes Alcohol go broke?????

during the depression gangsters made millions on beer and Alcohol but our government invests in it

and WALA they go broke.

we are 15 x over our income in debt as a country, so you make 50K a year and you have piled up

3/4 of a million in debt are you in financial trouble?

the final analysis do everything and hope something works that is my plan.

I like coins they always are worth something even if I just turn them into arrow heads or something.

Arrow heads? No thanks. If silver bullets were good enough for the Lone Ranger, they're good enough for ME!:)

what are these exactly?

Pretty sure that they are just dimes. They had Mercury's winged head on one side and an axe of some kind on the other, they were pretty common when I was a kid back in the late fifties and sixties, they were probably about 90% silver and I really didn't think you could still buy them in rolls, that must be pretty expensive. I can't remember the last time i saw one. Snake probably has a bucket of them under his bed.

what are these exactly?

biblenguns has it pretty much correct. Pre-1965 coins that are 90% silver. Nowdays they are known as "junk silver coins". They are really not junk that is just the term. You can buy them in bags ($1,000 face value) that amount to 715 ounces of silver. In dimes that would be 10,000 pieces.

The idea being that you have many more pieces to barter with.

The only place I disagree with biblenguns is that snake probably doesn't have a bucket. Most likely a bag.