Sign in to follow this  
tinderwolf

Capt's chair

In your latest article Capt you talk about us crossing the tipping point. In altogether of ways I think you are correct. I'm curious if you could lay out a prediction of events from here on out if we are on the downside.

Thanks Tinder you beat me to it!

I just sent copys to some friends and family,waiting to see what they think.

I beleve Capt.Bart is correct,its a small wave now building to a very large title wave.Anger is abounding , I just talked about it with my wife on Friday.Many are being upset over little things and overeacting.

The open RUDNESS to others is also growing...

So whats NEXT??

Guest kevin

my favorite article yet ......and i love all the others.....what capt described is EXACTLY what i/we have been prepping for....a pandemic, massive solar flare,or zombie attack my indeed happen someday, but for my money man is his own worst enemy......nothing in history shows me we(human kind) are smart enough to pull back from the brink.....i may be proven wrong this time....but i wouldn't bet my life on it.

hi all

yes this is the way i've seen it coming in also for some time.the past 20 years or so.they've been tring to make north america one nation.i figure thats why they're not doing anything , anymore.thats why they have to teach spanish in schools.on labels.i checked on a job , was asked if i knew spanish , i said no , they said we can't use you then.credit cards come in the mail almost every week.(i should charge handling fees for having them away lol).but my point is you can't give that amount of money away to that many people that wont pay,and stay in business.our gov guaranteed the credit card loans(pay back)

this started in the 90's.and everyone since,has added to it.the people i know that was in fed gov.quit running for office.because the puppetmasters pulled the strings and they had no choice on how to vote.

now all the rest that is happening.??~!@#$%^&*(

The Capt. has put into words what i have thought for some time now. Is there really any where in the world where things are going well? Think about it. 6 billion people with all this built up tension. The pressure cooker is nearing the critical point. When it blows its going to be very messy. For all our sakes i hope the fears and concerns that the Capt has pointed out are incorrect. Somehow i hope so. Prepping is only a logical choice for those who see the writing on the wall and understand the real danger.

I like the survival fitness. many people tend to forget that in a SHTF situation you may not be able to drive or have the convenience of powered tools. we will be back to using cadillacs( My fellow Jarheads will know what Im saying) and using hand tools. in fact just yesterday i was out with a hand splitter splitting wood.even though we have a gas log splitter. why? for one it is good exercise and actually quite therapeutic to smash heavy steel down on wood , second it is a good way to get a feel for what it might be like without the use of power tools. I live right next to a large state park with mountainous trails to walk which i try to hike with a pack to get a feel for that type of walking, i work out and run 3 times a week to maintain a semblance of fitness, Im 38 and even though I'm 235lbs i can still run 3 to 4 miles and hike more with weight if need be on top of getting out and doing yardwork and helping maintain our flock of chickens and the large garden. I can still be lazy but in the back of my mind I know I wont be held up short in a bad situation because I'm wore out after walking a 100 yards up a hill. you don't have to be a marathon runner or cross fit guru to be in shape.. though if you are then all the better. get off the couch and do something more with your bullets and BOB other than look at it on your living room floor ;)

Sometimes I feel like Don Quixote

I do not think I am mad for prepping, but these windmills I see get my blood up if it were not for Sancho

My dog he keeps me grounded, tipping windmills would be my undoing.

chivalry is not dead but he's limping in a circle "not a good sign" I do think we have past the tipping point.

the problem is my envisioned outcome has not been spoken of I have tried to allude to it.

All I see ahead is hardship and worse..IMO

Thank you, folks. I'm glad you find them useful. Per Tinderwolf's request:

I'm not a futurist but I do have some ideas. There are a lot of variables, if the Mid-East explodes, for instance, things could happen almost overnight. Lacking some ignition source I see things going sort of as follows:

A continual decline in confidence, world wide, in the economies of the Northern Hemisphere. Once any one of the major economies collapse, the rest will follow like dominoes. The EU countries are already running tax rates two to three times what we are running. They have over half of their working age adults on the dole so they are already past saving. Depending on the results of the political races, I see riots in the US as early as this August or as late as February of next year. I would suspect that just after the November election may be the most likely time for them but that is my SWAG. Once the entitlements fail, the revolts will start; modern Greece is instructive going all the way back to the old Roman empire actually. Once the bread and circuses stop, the sheeple get nasty.

When that happens, infrastructure will begin to fall apart. The long haul truckers won't drive their trucks into a rioting city, for example remember what happened to the trucker in the LA riots, so the food supply ceases. Now what happens in the city? Once the hospital workers stop showing up for work, how long before disease escapes the containment and enters the population. Bad water, bad sanitation, no food or medical help, some LEO but overwhelmed and things start downhill much faster than now.

The issue, as I see it, is whether or not it is too late to pull back. It may still be possible to avoid the worst of it but it doesn't appear that way. The good news is that for the urban prepper it should still be possible to live for quite a while, perhaps through the entire thing if the rioting is not in their local area. Martial law will be declared and order will be (sort of) restored but our way of life will be gone. The government will not be interested in anyone's rights after martial law is declared. If you can stay off the radar screen, you have a shot at keeping your stuff. If you can't, well - the 'common good' will demand all you have and you will be a criminal for hording!

The problem of course is that this kind of TEOTWAWKI does not prevent the immediate TSHTF events. Those short term events will continue through the troubled times. It would be ironic if a hurricane was what broke the riots!

I hope I'm wrong, by the way. Of course, if I am I don't think you lose much by assuming I'm right. Food and water preps first, then self protection/medical, then fuel/shelter/barter type items is the basic order of things if you're starting from scratch and are bugging in. If you're bugging out, make sure that your BOL is ready by end of July at the latest. Not necessarily complete (that may never happen) but good enough to live in when you need shelter. I THINK we have that much time but I'm guessing as much as any of you. Don't panic but don't spend a lot of time fiddling either (OK, bad grasshopper and ant analogy). Also don't forget that your reading material may go away so make sure you have the basics you need there as well.

Just as a consideration; have you noticed how much "Roman" gold and treasure is found in Great Britain? All of it buried south (the Roman side) of Hadrian's wall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadrian%27s_Wall

The Romans who were aware of the world situation moved their wealth out of Rome to protect it from the Vandals and other barbarian invaders. They were not fooled by the fun times provided by the emperors; they took steps to protect their wealth and future. Perhaps we should be as smart as the ancient Romans.

Just my not so humble opinion.

I realy dont want to overeact because Im prone too(saved my butt a couple of times) But again to ignore the facts would just be stupid..

"The Romans who were aware of the world situation moved their wealth out of Rome to protect it from the Vandals and other barbarian invaders. They were not fooled by the fun times provided by the emperors; they took steps to protect their wealth and future. Perhaps we should be as smart as the ancient Romans."

Look at the FUN TIMES the Media is pushing now and see if Capt.Bart is correct!

Ever show that has a topic about "preping' is made fun of or "Your just living in FEAR"

Dr.House on November 28th 2011 as an Example,shows a man having a stock pile of weapons behind his book shelf.He did not tell his wife,or anyone.Diagnosis was that he should have been taking shots to combat the Illness(Diphtheria)and that he was halucinating!His wife said she would not live in FEAR or in a house with weapons!!

You come to what ever conclusion you want!

Me Im planting as much as I can,and gathering as many quart jars as I can afford,ya yard sales.

Food the next currency!!!

I'm not disagreeing with any of you, mostly because I expect that you're right. However, it does scare me a bit because I know how incapacitated I'm going to be for a few months. Surgery is next week and what isn't done won't get done until I'm able to walk and drive again. On the up side, I do have about 30 gallons of water and a nicely full pantry. The down side is that I know the pantry will go only just so far. And H thinks I'm paranoid, so no help there.

And I did read the newsletter. Thank you for the time and thought you put into them. It's always something to think about.

I am of the opinion that we are stradling the razors edge, not over it not quite yet too many things could reverse the current trends. My Masters Thesis was on what I termed as Terminal Convergence this is the point where multiple unrelated events intersect to create a societal collapse. For example a devestating earthquake in China occurs on May 13, on the week of July 4th Europes economy collapses while the midwest and southern US continue to suffer massive draught conditions then on Aug 23 the eastern seaboard of the US is hit by a catogory 4 hurricane from Charleston to Boston. This would create a scenario where supplies and aid are almost nonexistent and with our economy already on the edge cause an economic collapse here in the US compounding the disasters and ripping apart our already strained society. Mix that with an ineffective government and the majorities of peoples disrespect for basic rights, well you get the idea. Yes a singular event could cause society to collapse but a single event is easier to overcome and an event of a scale large enough to tear society apart is rare the other occurances are not rare the only thing they need to become catastrophic is timing, location or both.

Edited by warrior7r

I witnessed the L.A. riots first hand. I was glued to my T.V. at night (there was a dusk to dawn curfew) and roamed around some during the day to see for myself ( maybe not the smartest thing to do but I was a young man in my twenties). The truck driver Reginald Denny who was beaten nearly to death was in sight of several LEO's who were stationed at the next intersection. They did not move to help him (in fact they pulled back) because they said they were outnumbered and the situation was quickly deteriorating. This is not an indictment of law enforcement but just a simple reality - in a SHTF situation the safety of you and your family is entirely in your own hands. Damion "Football" Williams, the gangbanger who was charged in Denny's beating was only convicted of inciting a riot because they didn't want to reignite the riots.

In the inner city many of the markets and liquor stores are owned by Koreans. There has always been a lot of tension between the Blacks and Koreans. During the riots some of these stores were burned down and the Korean store owners took to their rooftops with firearms to protect their businesses. Many of the deaths during the riots were would be looters shot by Korean store owners. There was no mention of this after the riots. A lot was overlooked for the sake of quelling tensions (not that the Koreans weren't in the right).

The riots were confined mostly to the urban areas. The suburbs were mostly unscathed. The police had fallen back to contain the riots in these areas. In fact, on the first night there was a group of rioters burning storefronts in Hollywood that started heading towards Beverly Hills. Needless to say they were met with stiff resistance and were turned around.

So in a riot you are on your own and no one is keeping a tally of who did what.

If it is alright with Capt Bart I would like to devote this thread to discussing the topics brought up in his monthly articles the captain's chair.

isnt that what the comments section at the end of his articles is for anyways?

oh and who are all those folks that reply to the capts chair anyways? ive never heard of any of them lol.

Edited by ricksconnected

oh and who are all those folks that reply to the capts chair anyways? ive never heard of any of them lol.

what comments section? I only get it in an email...am I missing something?

I think Capt Bart and Warrior made excellent posts and have expressed very accurate "predictions". If we see a Katrina level hurricane that creates more distrust and criticism (however warranted) over the fed not "responding correctly" and if the NATO summit creates the civil unrest that's possible (and being discussed on another thread), we have 2 events to create mass panic and dissension among the public.

We are truly living in trying times and we must help ensure it doesn't become "borrowed" time.

First of all, I must've missed something because I didn't get an email and I don't know what this article is. So forgive me if I'm a bit lost.

Second, since noone else is doing it I'm going to play devil's advocate.

Maybe things really are getting better. Yes things could hit a "tipping point" and cascade into a downward spiral. However, when has this NOT been the case? Things can always be worse.

Looking at the economy is something that is done in a frame. Meaning, has it gotten better/worse over the past month, year, 3 years, etc.? The frame will completely change the answer. Yes gas is going up and s*** hits the fan in some places but humans have always adapted and flourished.

Things may seem crappy right now but maybe its just as likely things are about to start getting better.

Edited by exit

been here since these forums started up where you been? ;)

Exit,

there is a weekly email from the group at Survival Cache: here is the last Capt's Chair - note the link at the very bottom if you want to subscribe to it.

The Captain's Chair:

AND SO IT BEGINS!

I have come to the reluctant conclusion that the TEOTWAWKI may actually have begun. Not with a bang, of course, but with a whimper. I have been more and more troubled at what I see on the web and in person. Is it just around Houston or are people driving "angry" now? Not just aggressive but actually ANGRY. What do I mean by that? A good example was the young 'gentleman' who was the third car through the red light (mine was green) and as he drove through he flipped the 'international, single finger road signal' at me. I hadn't honked or given any sign of annoyance. What was the point, other than he was angry about something?

Then I see the news reports about HSA buying 450 MILLION rounds of .40 caliber hollow points and an undisclosed amount of .223 ammo. Then, I see news reports that say the Obama "recovery" from the Bush "recession" was weaker than "expected" and seems to be entering another downturn. Who knew? Europe is falling apart faster than you would believe; my European friends tell me the economy is in the toilet and the governments are starting to get really freaky. Ireland of all places has riots over their budget woes.

Ruger has announced a long term backlog that has driven them to halt new sales until they catch up. Local gun shops have trouble getting even the most basic parts for various weapons. If you want to kit your own AR, you may have a long wait for parts. I have seen an ever decreasing supply of ammo and parts for some time now, but it is getting much worse. I've also noticed folks selling stuff on Craig's list type sites and the "Bay of e". Friends in various parts of the country have started prepping where before they weren't interested. A co-worker who last year was laughing at me over being one of those prepper wing nuts has now begun to ask about how to prep and how much is needed and how many guns should he have.

The long and short of the situation seems to be that folks are scared and angry. Perhaps they are angry because being scared doesn't feel good and they are annoyed that their world view isn't working any more. I don't know for sure, of course; but looking at how Argentina slipped into its current disaster shows tremendous similarity to the US. The fact that Argentina seems to be getting ready for war with England is disconcerting. That the mid-east is about to explode is a given and while we're distracted there I very much fear that China will make its move on Taiwan. Place that in the balance with the Pakistani - India differences between two nuclear nations and the world doesn't look very peaceful. Europe seems about ready to implode over its 'diversity' problem while the US's southern border is a freaking, nightmarish joke.

That is just a very short summary of some of the most obvious things that are going on. At some point, we must reach a tipping point that prevents a path of retreat without a great deal of very painful work. The first World War was an accident. The powers of Europe thought everything had been resolved only a few days before it all "Hit the Fan". They had missed the tipping point and the built in, automatic responses doomed the world to not one but two world wars. WW2 was a direct result of WW1. That is because, although Hitler had his problems, he came to power because of the conditions caused by the WW1 'peace' treaty.

I'm not sure where the tipping point was in our present situation. I've thought about it but there is so much that could be the point. Still, if I had to choose THE point it would be where approximately half of the country's population was on government handouts. I had considered the possibility that it was when we lost the language but that may be more of a symptom than a cause. Lost the language? Yes, as my bride pointed out this morning, Google is a noun not a verb but we use it as a Verb. Going further back, Xerox is not a verb either. We've been on this road for a long time but when teachers turned into "educators" and neither taught nor educated we were in trouble. Now our kids graduating from government schools can't read, write OR do arithmetic. They can however enumerate their entitlements, God help us.

I have maintained that the "unforgivable sin" in the Bible is calling evil good and good evil. You can not repent of doing something if you don't know it is wrong and you can not correct a problem if you won't admit that it exists. We have ignorant people who have been taught that 'how do you feel about' is a more valid question than 'what happened'. The people screaming for "Justice" for Trayvon are a prime example. They are calling for a legal lynching; no better than the KKK they claim to hate. I guess if they're the ones wearing the white sheets and hoods (should that be hoodies?) then it's OK to be a lynch mob. The point is we have lost the ability to THINK logically and to recognize problems. Illegal aliens are not 'undocumented immigrants'. Ask the French police who can't go into the areas of Paris that are controlled by Sharia law how well that diversity is working out for them. When feelings trump truth, you cease being a rational being and become a sheeple.

I'm not saying than any of TSHTF events can't or won't happen. They may be sudden and catastrophic as in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area on April 3rd or they may still be slower acting like a pandemic. All I am saying is that it appears to me, that the economic collapse of the Northern hemisphere of the planet is well underway and may be irreversible. This election is our last chance and it may already be too late to avoid a large part of the problem like the 27 % unemployment rate that exists in some European countries. When it goes, the Southern hemisphere will quickly follow. The 'Great Depression' won't hold a candle to this one and that lasted over 10 years because the government got involved and made things much worse in their attempts to fix the problems. FDR sowed the seeds of this depression with his 'New Deal' that is still being paid off.

I'm surprisingly calm about this. We still have time to prep, rule of law will remain in some fashion and the grid should remain fairly stable. What happens to our freedom remains an open question (remember FDR's work camps?) but the Constitution should be able to weather the coming storm if we care to protect it. That is where the 50% on handouts worries me. They may not care enough in the power centers to protect our freedom and those on the 'dole' may not wish to give up their entitlements. Those of us in 'fly over' country have different ideas and values, so who knows? Still, it is a very survivable event if we are aware and prepared.

I could be wrong, of course. I hope I am wrong, but I am afraid I am very right here. The nations of this planet have larger debts than the resources of the planet can support. We are past the point were it is physically possible to pay what we've promised to pay. We are watching TSHTF in front of our very eyes but it is still slow enough that we do not notice. Soon enough it will accelerate and the world will notice. My opinion of course, but consider what you will do if I'm right.

by Captain Bart a contributing writer and forum moderator with SurvivalCache.com

If you are interested in sponsoring this newsletter or advertising on SurvivalCache.com please contact Joel@SurvivalCache.com.

Talk with you soon,

The SurvivalCache Team

"The Future Belongs to Those Who Prepare"

www.survivalcache.com

Forge Solutions, LLC

DBA - Forge Survival Supply / SurvivalCache.com

PMB 7440

2711 Centerville Rd., Ste 120

Wilmington, DE 19808

To unsubscribe or change subscriber options visit:

http://www.aweber.com/z/r/?jIwsHEycTLSsDJwcrOyMrLRGtIzMHCycjEwc

First of all, I must've missed something because I didn't get an email and I don't know what this article is. So forgive me if I'm a bit lost.

Second, since noone else is doing it I'm going to play devil's advocate.

Maybe things really are getting better. Yes things could hit a "tipping point" and cascade into a downward spiral. However, when has this NOT been the case? Things can always be worse.

Looking at the economy is something that is done in a frame. Meaning, has it gotten better/worse over the past month, year, 3 years, etc.? The frame will completely change the answer. Yes gas is going up and s*** hits the fan in some places but humans have always adapted and flourished.

Things may seem crappy right now but maybe its just as likely things are about to start getting better.

exit,

I hope you are correct and I welcome the alternate view. It seems to me that although things do improve from time to time, the trend is toward decline. Some of the improvements are purchased with money we don't have and can't pay back. I see that as becoming an issue on its own. My family goes bankrupt if I continuously spend more than I make. I've posted the article we are talking about so you can read it.

Capt,

I think the end did start with FDR, now mind you I do feel that there were and still are people who need some type of a safety net. But it should never have become a catch all for every one that it has. In my opinion some type of work corps/trade school would work better than the current system.

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy."

My favorite version of this quote is:

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.

Elmer T. Peterson Dec. 9, 1951

exit,

I hope you are correct and I welcome the alternate view. It seems to me that although things do improve from time to time, the trend is toward decline. Some of the improvements are purchased with money we don't have and can't pay back. I see that as becoming an issue on its own. My family goes bankrupt if I continuously spend more than I make. I've posted the article we are talking about so you can read it.

Thanks Captain. I subscribed. I'm short on time right now so I won't be able to reply in length on your article but I intend to address a few of your points for the sake of playing Devil's advocate.

Be back in a few hours.