Sign in to follow this  
vonBayern

Urban Food

you can scrape all that gum off the underside of school desks and park benches

and you can lick the dew off the leaves as long as they are not poison Ivy.

or use a rag or turkey baster to get water from catch basins.

and you can shoot the birds off the corpses with a BB gun.

all the stores will have been looted and you may find some form of calories in odd

shake or fiber mixes vitamins etc there is always a crumb here and there.

I was actually looking to see if anyone would give me Rosemeads answer. More the warehouses than the semis though.

The next question is do you know where they are?

But I gotta give Snake credit, he did come up with a viable answer.

Apartment buildings.

Go to the office first, get the master keys. Every apartment has a 35-50 gallon water heater that will have water (which will need to be purified). Every apartment that used to belong to people who fled before/at the start of the disaster will probably still have canned goods in it. You'll know which ones to check first because they won't have had their front doors kicked in yet.

Hopefully it won't belong to another prepper with a 12 gauge waiting for you...

Why do you think I was trying to get people to think of other than peoples homes?

A few weeks after a major disaster, in an urban environment? Do you really think there will be a lot of people in those apartments, by the time I (as a prepper) start running low on my supplies? If they are preppers, then we won't likely run into each other, and if we do we may end up helping each other. If they aren't preppers, then it's not likely they are still in their apartments clutching 12 gauges, now is it?

Do you think that there will be less chance of getting shot at the big grocery warehouse on the edge of town? The one that had the fences, big advertising sign, and a guard shack before the disaster? Which is now the destination of every looter for miles? And any enthusiastic enforcer of the law (legally appointed or otherwise)?

Consider this - a typical apartment complex here in central Florida has between 100 to 160 units, broken up into buildings of 8-16 apartments each. There is also usually a swimming pool or two. Finally, there will almost certainly still be vehicles in the parking lot, even if most folks tried to evacuate by car.

My partner and I can carefully search just this one set of buildings, with a very high chance to locate food/water/medical/fuel and most anything else we need. We can do it without having to travel through areas of the city we do not know, we can do it on foot, and we can do it without exposing ourselves to anyone watching the streets/open areas of town. If we have the keys to the apartments, we can reduce our footprint to anyone who passes through the area during/later. Since every apartment has windows, we will rarely need to use flashlights to search them - thus conserving our batteries, and maintaining light/noise discipline. We can even move supplies into one of the apartments we choose and lock it back up, so we can return later. The swimming pools will catch rainwater, even if they were somehow emptied during the last few weeks, without us having to set up any kind of visible system. From a tactical point of view, my odds of safely clearing an apartment building, room by room, are higher than my odds of surviving a trip to the Costco/Walmart. My partner and I can clear an apartment, post one of us as security while the other searches, and then move on. Try doing that at a commercial warehouse.

At a typical warehouse or other large commercial facility, you have large open areas of parking lot to cross, just to reach the building itself. The building has multiple entrances which cannot be secured or observed by a small team. Inside it will have large open aisles for forklifts and pallet jacks - which make great fields of fire for anyone already inside. There are few windows to let in light when the power is off, so it will be very dark inside - and you will be coming in from outside. You are going to need light sources to search effectively. In a grocery warehouse, all the inventory items are sorted by type, in bulk, by pallet. To get a variety of items, you will need to search through a lot of aisles, making multiple trips to gather things, and you will probably need to use some kind of light source. This takes time, energy, and exposure to observation. The risk/reward ratio for this kind of a supply run is simply too high for a small team or an individual. A large, organized group could do very well at such a facility - but that's not me or mine.

Any retail store will be cleaned out within a couple days of a SHTF event. Most stores stock only two to three days of inventory and rely on constant resupply. Even distribution centers will be quckly depleted. Assuming that the event does not immediately and completely shut down local transportation, the distribution centers will attempt to stock the retail stores at an accelerated rate.

And don't discount government "help". I would bet that the government will quickly secure those warehouses to deal with the refugee storm.

I think Snake's answer and SC are some of the better responses to the question. I might add that abandoned pets are also meat on the hoof, and don't forget that blood is mostly water, and you can extract it with a solar still.

If you have plastic bags and deciduous trees, you can wrap the bags around leaf clusters to catch water being released from the leaves. One acre of vegetation can transpire 1,600 gallons of water on a sunny day, and it simply evaporates. You can get enough water to survive simply by using transpiration bags.

Also, within a couple months of a SHTF event, you should begin harvesting food from the rooftop or backyard garden that you should have planted on day one.

FEMA!

Okay, just kidding. I agree with what Capt. Bart said in another thread - if you're riding out something like a hurricane or earthquake and you think things will get back to normal at some point then bugging in is a viable option. If it's TEOTWAWKI you may want to G.O.O.D..

However, if you do find yourself in this situation it will be post die-off so I think raiding water heaters (like Survivalcyclist said) is an option. But you will have to be careful. I live in a suburb in So. Cal. so there are tons of swimming pools. You can use your water filters, boil the water, or set up a solar still. Whatever you do you will have to be careful. But for all of the talk of bad people I think there will be more good people pulling together and helping each other out.

Don't forget restuarant supply, & school cafaterias, etc.

EX121

great to see your post and my comment is for comedy purposes and not anything against what

you mentioned.

BUT personally I would never but never scrounge a school cafeteria i did not like the food when I was a

kid now it's suppose to be heart healthy YUCK I think I scrape the gum off the benches in the park

OH DRAT I forget new gum is sugar free even worse than eating pigeon excrement......

SC,

All good points. And truth be told I hadn't thought about raiding hotwater heaters till you brought it up.

Around here the only distrubution warehouse I've seen with fences around them is one for Sam's, but its also in a rural area next to a major highway. The others that I've seen had a sign that matched the signs in the rest of the complexs, there are no gaurd shacks. After that point in time I doubt that they would be manned anyway.

Is it riskier than what you suggest? Yes.

But the pay off could also be that much greater as well. Main thing I'm trying to do is get people to think.

Patzerdave: I too live in SoCal. Interesting knowledge, there can be as much as a million gallons of water at a water park. I know Knotts easily has 7 million gallons of ground water and three wells, one of which is out side the park.

With grid lock there will be broke down abandoned vehicles on the freeways. Abandon, trucks could be harvesteded for their load (food, walmart trucks=ammo?) and cars for gas.

Something many people might not think of is railways and railcars. Also ship yards, if you live near a port. Or on a major river, there are places where they load barges with bulk grain and anything else. Industrial parks are another possibility, though maybe not as good as the others. Check what businesses are in operation there and see what they produce, if its anything food related, bingo!

You would probably need some knowledge of how to turn raw grains or bulk unprocessed food into edible bread or flour or whatever, but that is knowledge that is pretty easily gained.

School stadiums, event facilities, fairgrounds, theme parks, and "gathering space" type attractions may also have some food stores that will be less likely to be ransacked than stores/restaurants will be. The food quality won't be great, because it will be the kind of junk food you get at a high school football game, but hey, cans of chili, chips, cookies, soda, etc. will at least be calories you can consume while you figure out how to GOOD and where to go when you do.

Ok well when Katrina hit the first thing to go obviously was grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations, even vending machines. Any obvious food venue was depleted in two weeks. Which is fine, because without power most of that spoiled anyway. Then people started breaking into houses. Urban environments are concrete jungles, and the only food producing plant in the concrete jungle is your fellow man.

If you're worried about running into another prepper, you should be. Proper prepper or not, you will run into other human beings trying to survive, and in my experience they will not help you if they don't know you. You should definitely have already invested in friends and allies for the coming onslaught.

one thing if you do not want to be a victim be prepared already here is the kind of food you need

quick and hot with little scent and little weight

http://wisefoodstorage.com/?avad=49183_c2b591e3&ref=AVL

water if your OPSEC a water bed can be bought for very little at sales fold it up and hopefully you will have time to fill it or use it also your tub can be filled with floaties for kids cut the air nipple off and fill and clip off as many as you can a fish tank no fish just water with some interesting fish tank items

find a clean chlorine barrel at the water treatment plant and sneak it in at night and fill it in your storage

closet on the porch or put a plywood top on it and a big table cloth and a couple of tall chairs

you will need a good siphon hose also if you do all this you can have a couple hundred gallons of water

if you buy from forced to sell moving or divorcees it will be cheap....

you will also need chlorine and a filtration system with enough filters for your amount of water

if your apartment has a flat roof and your lucky enough to have the drain running in your wall

you can open the wall and cut the pipe and store rain water just direct it with a regular water hose.

and put a piece of cloth over the hose to screen the bugs.

NanaQuilts

before I was me now, I was someone else back when.

good training for what might be coming but I pray everyday we dodge the azzholeroid about to strike

cause it's gonna sling crap the world over.

It gets me to thinking about that part of the BIBLE that says:

Revelation 18:11

And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man

buyeth their merchandise any more.

I fear we are almost there. and I hope I am dead wrong about it.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

Guest survival101

Rats, feral cats, dogs forming packs, turtles. (Turtles are in every ditch and waterway here) You do have to leach them out 3 times though, or they taste nasty. nastier. Ducks at the park and the apartment complex. (Do this BEFORE you run out of food, or they'll have already graced someone else's table.) Down here there are raccoons and oppossums in the urban areas too. Oh, and copious amounts of squirrels. After it's all gone, eat the small birds. Keep some birdseed to attract them to you.

Rats, feral cats, dogs forming packs, turtles. (Turtles are in every ditch and waterway here) You do have to leach them out 3 times though, or they taste nasty. nastier. Ducks at the park and the apartment complex. (Do this BEFORE you run out of food, or they'll have already graced someone else's table.) Down here there are raccoons and oppossums in the urban areas too. Oh, and copious amounts of squirrels. After it's all gone, eat the small birds. Keep some birdseed to attract them to you.

at night I use a ladder and a stick and a red head lamp and get all the little birdies I want.

Be careful raiding water from water heaters, especially older ones. Generally speaking most apartment maintenance personelle do not flush the tanks out every so often and a nasty build up of calcium sediment and slime in the bottom of them and when you open up the tap all you get is rusty, slimy, sediment filled water that will need more than just purification. when scavenging from apartment buildings, see if there is a way to block off all but one of the entrances, this will make it easier to defend from "competetion" I ahve worked in the apartment business for years and have thought out all possibilities and probabilities. In my nexperience I have never seen a prepper in an apartment. Hoarder yes, prepper no. But that doesnt mean they arent out there!