Sign in to follow this  
tripper

fire killers

fire extingushers , not just CO2 are nasty at close range. The chemicals can get under your eye lids and into your lungs. The confusion of the 'cloud' may allow you to thump the bad guy (gal) in the head with the canister. I keep many spaced through out my 'house', I heat with wood, and light with lanterns, just a safety factor for me, not a primary defence for intruders, that what the 12 is for...

I saw them using fire extinguishers on the show "The Colony" for defense during a raid. It didn't seem to deter the attackers very much. I realize its just TV but I suspect if someone was determined enough a fire extinguisher would be one of the last 'defensive' weapons I'd want.

I'd think fire extinguishers would hurt you almost as much as an attacker if there was even the slightest breeze, kind of like cheap pepper spray canisters that create a mist. Now, during the midst of a scramble when you aren't armed, a big metal cylinder bashed onto someone's hand, leg, or head could be pretty effective if somewhat awkward. Still, I'd rather have a baseball bat or something actually DESIGNED to be a weapon if it came down to it. LOL

I saw them using fire extinguishers on the show "The Colony" for defense during a raid. It didn't seem to deter the attackers very much. I realize its just TV but I suspect if someone was determined enough a fire extinguisher would be one of the last 'defensive' weapons I'd want.

well as a kid, 16 yrs old, i got sprayed in the face from about 3 ft away. it did no damage to me at all.

we were playing hide and seek and kids will be kids.....:P

You could use as a trip wire device to distract the opponent or to warn that someone was moving down a path. If placed within a room and triggered by the door opening, would slow a room sweep and offer you time to setup a respose.

Depends on the type of fire extinguisher.

A dry chemical extinguisher fired into someones face will absolutely ruin their day. Imagine someone loading up a sandblaster with Comet household cleanser, then spraying you in the eyes from about 6 inches away.

CO2 extinguishers have a shorter range, but they are extremely cold and will seriously damage exposed mucus membranes (eyes, nose, throat if the mouth is open). The effect on ordinary skin is not disabling however. They do chill a six pack nicely.

Halon (etc) chemical extinguishers are meant to suffocate electrical fires by bonding with (or removing) the oxygen molecules in the area. A lungful of this can kill you - I once received an Article 15 (that's Captain's Mast to you Navy/Marines) for spraying a drunk in our barracks with a 'personal fire extinguisher' that used Halon. Fourteen days of extra duty and forfeiture of one third of my pay for the month for me - the drunk went to the hospital and was on light duty for several weeks afterwards (he was also a whole lot more respectful and sober around me, but that's another story).

The problem with most extinguishers is they have short range, are difficult to rapidly deploy and aim, and have limited ammo. Then the casing is either too light or too heavy to be an effective club.

COmpressed CO2 is very cold at melee range, when actually using a fire Ext. the 'jet' of discharged CO2 onlygoes a couple feet, then the 'jet' starts to disipate/widen to a density more like fog or dry ice.

About the intended use of a fire Ext., Movies always make me laugh when they use one, always pointing straight at the flame of the fire.... The CO2 need to be aimed at the BASE/Fuel of the fire, not the flame itself.

In the Navy we had a good number of 'PKP' Fire Ext., its basically a purple colored liquid goo-like chemical, usable on electrical fires, that simply coats the area in a foam choking out the fire.

+1 to OregonChick. I’d rather use a weapon that is designed to be a weapon. A fire extinguisher will not stop a bad guy as well as a baseball bat or firearm.

Cyclist, I have been in a closed room when Halon went off. It makes it difficult to see but it took seven large bottles to cloud the room enough to escape. A small, hand-help extinguisher will not cloud one’s vision enough for the used to escape.

If you want something that's not technically a weapon but could be used as such, apparently wasp spray is pretty nasty stuff - especially if you live in an area where you're not allowed to carry mace/pepper spray. I don't know that it's actually BETTER than pepper spray (see link, below), but it's something to consider because it could be stored openly around your house or in outbuildings - as long as you don't have kids - if you are thinking of trying to have stuff planted around the place that you could grab if you were caught unarmed.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp

I dont know if its actually true or not but I have always heard that using a fire extinguisher when theirs not a fire was a federal offense so I would be pretty iffy about using in a non teotwaki event I might do some research on itwhen I get home this evening