Sign in to follow this  
NovicePrepper

Usefullness of folding weapons such as a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 or a 12 GA Double Barrel?

Hey guys.

I was wondering what you guys think about a fold-able weapon such as a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 or a sawed off 12 GA double barrel shotgun to put in your BOB?

I'm not trying to compare/contrast weapons, but I just want your opinions on the idea of folding weapons themselves.

(YES, I realize the 12 GA is not specifically for concealment, but if you keep the weapon opened in your bag, wouldn't it essentially be folded?)

I know someone with the Kel Tec folder and he never leaves home without it. I've shot it and I was please at the accuracy at 50 yards. I have never been a huge fan of the double barrel, but that is just personal preference. In the right bag, no one knows what you are packing, so that can be a good thing.

(YES, I realize the 12 GA is not specifically for concealment, but if you keep the weapon opened in your bag, wouldn't it essentially be folded?)

Actually, a 'coach gun' like the types that are popular in Cowboy Action Shooting easily breaks into two parts. Almost any side by side or single shot shotgun breads easily at the pivot point so they would be a natural for a BOB. I am getting to the age where handling all of a 12 Gauge shotguns recoil in my hand with a pistol grip is not attractive and I personally think it would limit the effectiveness of the weapon as a hunting weapon (strictly an uninformed bias on my part - never shot one so I am assuming here) so I'd be a little leery of the super short barrel/no stock type shotguns. If it allows you to have a gun, ready to go I'd put it in the same class is the AR-7. It lives in the BOB until TSHTF and then it lives in my hand while I GOOD. Since my BOB lives in my truck and I am frequently on a Federal Reservation there is no firearm in mine. If you can legally carry a firearm in your BOB, it sounds like a good idea to me.

Edited by Capt Bart

I'm saving up for my ideal firearms, but collapsible/folding stocks are a good idea *if* they are quality accessories. They have to lock up solid as the original stock (for me) or I won't use them. My backup plan for transportation involves bicycles and hiking, so shorter/more compact weapons are desirable.

Sawed off shotguns are a very poor choice, in my mind. A whippet gives you two rounds of (very) close range heavy firepower, but its heavy, hard to control, and slow to reload. A handgun or even a camp carbine (in pistol caliber) would be a better choice. Lighter, more accurate, much more ammunition available for ready use, and not nearly as provocative to a law enforcement officer who happens to see what's in your BOB.

Guest kevin

henry makes a good "foldable" 22.....all breaks apart and fits in the stock, even floats.

I have thought about the Kal-Tec 2000 folder as well. One of the main reasons is as you said, I can fold it and put it in a BoB for concelment if needed. But if I were to get one I personally would go with the .40 cal thats configured for Glock magazines. The reasons?

1.) If you have a Glock pistol the magazines are interchangable.

2.) Glock makes some 30+ round magazines...and to my way of thinking, more tries is a good thing.

The AR-7 seems like a good choice, but it takes a minute or so to set up. If you keep a Sub-2000 or a Coach gun in your bag you can easily just chamber a round/close the shotgun and fire.

I meant I would want a weapon I can just pull out and chamber really fast.

The AR-7 seems like a good choice, but it takes a minute or so to set up. If you keep a Sub-2000 or a Coach gun in your bag you can easily just chamber a round/close the shotgun and fire.

I meant I would want a weapon I can just pull out and chamber really fast.

If you had a handgun or camp carbine you could do the same thing...many times.

north American arms

makes a 22 long rifle with a conversion cylinder in 22 magnum 5 shot single action fixed sights

or adjustable depends on what model with a folding grip its a killer choice IMO

http://northamericanarms.com/firearms/minis/bw-1/bwc.html

uses a folding grip and is no larger than most big pocket knifes

http://northamericanarms.com/accessories/m-accessories/m-grips/ghg-m.html

here is something that can be put in a BOB with a hundred rounds of both calibers

I've ordered an SU-16 C in .223 for use as a travel long gun. I certainly would not care to be caught up in a Mumbai-style

seige in any hotel without the means of better self-defense than our normal EDC's.The charlie versions do not fire when folded, so it,s more politicially acceptable in the major meteo areas where if course nothing bad ever happens, does it?

It appears to me, that about any Kel-Tec folding carbine in any caliber, wpuld make dandy cost effective defensive carbines

to repel determined attackers, and, they will fit in your suit cases without screaming "tacti-cool" or gun bag.

If you are at the other end of the double barrel,is very intimidating,specially the sound it makes when the weapon is close.The Kel-Tec in 9mm is a great weapon to bugout,great portability,in the glock configuration,glock magazines can be use,and modern 9mm ammo has great credibility.

GUn law in Michigan classifies a 'pistol' as anything shortyer than 30". Im trying to find out that say: I buy a rifle/shotgun that is 30"+ long with original factory stock, then modify it with a folding/shorter stock, would this then be considered a 'pistol' ?

In Michigan I gotta have a 'Firearm Purchase Permit' to buy a 'pistol', anything shorter than 30". If i want a shotgun/rifle (called a 'long-gun' in Michigan) I dont need a 'Firearm purchase permit', only a background check.

Edited by NavyVet_77

I'd love a sub 2000 for the BOB. I could keep a pistol in my maxpedition, and the kel tec in the backpack, and use the same ammo.

Of course I live in california, so I'd also get arrested and do time.

Maybe when I get to a free state.

Got an answer to my question today:

It doesnt matter how long the wep was when you bought it. If its CURRENT length is less than 30" it has to be registered as a pistol to be legal.

THis really is common sense, I just wanted to hear someone say it.

I've ordered an SU-16 C in .223 for use as a travel long gun. The charlie versions do not fire when folded,

Your wrong Malcolm The charlie version is the only one that will fire with the stock folded. You might want to look at the PLR-16 pistol buy Kel-Tec. Same everything as the carbine but only has a 9.2 inch barrel and no stock. Lots of accessories and will take standard M16 mags.