Sign in to follow this  
vonBayern

The games people play

Currious about what games people would have with them at their BoL. Some of us have small to medium size children, what would you bring for them, for the grown ups?

Dominos, chess, checkers?

I know that Snake has a deck of playing cards.

Anyone else have one that you think would be a good choice.

A couple decks of plastic cards is a must! I also carry dice for Yahtzee and Farkle and some small dominos. I also consider a few books as musts. In times of high stress things that distract and relax the mind are as important as any of the other items for keeping the body alive. Always take a little time to unwind and smell the roses when you can.

If the mind goes the body is useless and for the first few years after TEOTWAWKI suicide and murder will be two of the biggest killers. Even after people survive the initial threat they will slowly die off. One thing you need to KNOW and understand is that PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) is something that happens AFTER the problematic occurrence...that is what the POST means. When things start to look up and people start to relax they will start to have troubles and many will go insane. WATCH for it in those with you and in yourself.

To a disturbing extent it is a little like a junkie coming off his stuff! You have been under stress with adrenaline and endorphins flooding your blood stream for so long that your body has adapted to it and adjusted. Then suddenly you start to feel safer and your body is all thrown out of balance biochemically speaking. Try hard not to let the stress eat you up and then after it you need to be prepared for another adjustment period.

Games and simple pleasures are good for everyone concerned. You might also look into catscradle games. All you need is a piece of string and an imagination. You might also think about a simple musical instrument. Harmonicas, Simple flutes and whistles and such alow you to express some less stressful needs. Kids love stories; even better is having someone tell them stories. When you stop sitting in front of the TV or Computer several hours a day you will find lots of time for them. Make their toys and games out of available things like wood and rags. Teach them to imagine and play so many kids these days just don't know how anymore.

Personally I think that some things will be BETTER after the "End of things as we know them". People will need eachother again and once again family and honor will have meaning.

Edited by Danm

Wish my settlers of catan would travel well. my warhammer 40k is gonna get left behind but i have a few portable tables top war games.

BUt its all my gaming books that id have to leave that would suck. wonder what the armor value of an entire gaming collection is

At my BOL i've put aside darts & board, cards, chess, checkers & monopoly games. Anything that does not require electricity or batterys would be ideal.

Yeah...I was looking more for things that didn't require batterys or electricity. I don't think that the internet will really be available at that point in time.

Don't forget outdoor and more physical games, like horseshoes, croquet, even badminton for adults. And for kids, jump rope/double dutch, jacks/marbles,and equipment-free games like 1,000 variations of tag, hide and seek, capture the flag, etc.

Have several decks of playing cards AND a manually operated shuffler (saves SO much time and wear on the cards, too). Get books like "According to Hoyle" and others that provide instructions for a wide variety of card games, so you're 1. not arguing over the rules and 2. not stuck playing the four card games you remember. My family plays cards when camping, and it's always these utterly random games like Flying Aces, 3 to 13, Hand and Foot, etc. Nobody just plays poker or blackjack. LOL And dice and dominoes are also a must! Mexican Train Dominoes is a fun, multi-player variation, and there are lots of dice games to play, too, like Yahtzee! and Pig. Other easy-to-pack games would be ones like Uno, Mille Bournes, just the cards themselves from Taboo, Apples to Apples, etc.

in all seriousness, i dont think there would be a lot of time for games in a shtf or worse situation for a while.

You're probably right - that's why it's TSHTF and not "the gradual and peaceful transition to a different mode of living." LOL But having some of that stuff tucked away can bring even a few moments of shared pleasure, which can help keep morale going. And it's the kind of thing that you may not need while you're struggling minute to minute, day to day, but once you've re-established yourself and gotten the basics covered, having entertainment will seem more like a necessity. Obviously you don't want to cast out food, water, or ammo from your BOB just so you can snag an extra deck of cards, but if you're prepping caches or a BOL, they wouldn't take up much room on a shelf or in a waterproof container.

Guest survival101

ricks, for the most part i agree. but what about a situation where bug-in is required for a week or two, even more. boredom would be an enemy. pack of cards is in our BOB's, butsomething you enjoy, in your bug in location, or bug out location sounds essential. games you haven't played in a while, like Scrabble, Yahtzee, wooden puzzle games, mancala, backgammon etc. Also remember a book of simple songs to teach the kids or grandkids, and the Doyles pocket guides to games and card games. Anne Frank had a simple diary, but it kept her sane, and left us a legacy.

in all seriousness, i dont think there would be a lot of time for games in a shtf or worse situation for a while.

Actually you will be amazed. When you don't have TV, Computers, Phones or a lot of people around demanding your attention you will find time hanging heavily. You will have a lot of down time or you won't last long. You don't want to be out in the rain if you have shelter. A cold that turns into something worse can kill.

When you are on the move you might not have a lot of time but when you settle, even for a day or two, there will be time you will need to past through to get to the next day. If you will study the lives of people in the past you will find that they didn't live like we do.

When you work hard all day you will tend to go down with the birds. Then you will wake up in the middle of the night for some down time followed by a second nap time until dawn. This was the common sleeping pattern throughout most of Europe for centuries until the advent of artificial lighting and clocks. Those hours will need to be filled.

The middle of the day is another down time. Sunstroke is nothing to mess with so you will have a down time then as well. The old "All work and no play..." thing is more than just a saying. It is a fact. Even animals play and if you stop you will fall into a downward spiral that will leave you unable to survive. The worse things are the more you will need the distraction.

The "according to Hoyle book mentioned is a GREAT idea. I might also add some marbles to my bag. That is another low teck toy that worked well for kids for centuries. I tend to be low tech in my toy thoughts because they were tried and true tested for generations rather than fad type games we have now. I can make a chess, backgammon or checker set in a short time and even the making will be entertaining.

A folding checker/backgammon board might be worthwhile and to tell the truth I have a wooden folding box chess set that has a deck of cards in it that will probably go with me. As far as other games, password is easy on the backpack as are laminated paper game boards like Parcheesi, checkers, chess, Backgammon snakes and ladders and such. I bought a travel game set a few years ago with thin cardboard game boards. After laminating them they went from flimsy to pretty sturdy and weigh nothing.

I have most of my important books in miniature. SAS Survival Guide, Bible, Pocket Reference, Astronomy Guide, Reptile guide, Handyman in your pocket, Knots and braiding guide... I also have a couple of must have books that if given time I will memorize...For the Scifi fans out there think Fahrenheit 451 LOL. For the sprouts I already have most of the Grimm's Fairy Tales memorized and can do a lot of Uncle Remus and Briar Rabbit stories. Story telling is an art that has been lost as has the art of conversation. We will need both in a post apocalyptic future.

Damn, I thought I'd gotten rid of all those incriminationg pictures. :)

knife, hawk and ax throwing are also some things you can teach to some of the younger ones as a fun thing...that may come in handy down the road.

However, in an ummmm...ugly personal type situation I have an aversion to throwing away a weapon that I may need in my hand. Also remember, if you throw knives they may break, I've had two air farce survival knives break from that. The haft on those things are a joke.

I am sorry but this is the picture in my head! :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]851[/ATTACH]

Several packs of cards, a small 'combination games' box that has backgammon/chess/checkers/etc in it. Scrabble (with the board reprinted on cardstock and then laminated, the back of this board is a Pente game board). I have a collection of role playing games (Traveller, DnD, Twilight2000, etc) that will probably help pass the time, too. The open ended nature of RPGs makes them excellent for 'long term' entertainment.

My wife has a Nook Color, with a ton of books and such on it, and a solar charger for it.

My wife has a Nook Color, with a ton of books and such on it, and a solar charger for it.

You know, I have had a Nook for a few months now and I really question the life of those things. I have already sent mine back once. I suspect their life is a couple years maybe? Meanwhile I have paperback books (for God's sake!) sitting on my shelves that are 50 years old.

You know, I have had a Nook for a few months now and I really question the life of those things. I have already sent mine back once. I suspect their life is a couple years maybe? Meanwhile I have paperback books (for God's sake!) sitting on my shelves that are 50 years old.

LOL don't get me started on the eBook vs real book debate. I'm a big fan of real turn-the-pages type books. My wife has had hers just over a year so far, without any problems. She loves it, but I'm the one with 4 solid bookcases full of books.

LOL don't get me started on the eBook vs real book debate. I'm a big fan of real turn-the-pages type books. My wife has had hers just over a year so far, without any problems. She loves it, but I'm the one with 4 solid bookcases full of books.

SC,

I'm enough of an antiquarian that I prefer the musty smell of REAL books but I've found myself carrying my Kindle everywhere. My wife got one after I had mine a while. We both love them. I have hundreds of old books on mine that I would have never found otherwise.

So I guess I'm in both camps. Kindle for ease of read but real for joy in reading.

SPeaking of readers. There is a great little hack out there. get a samsung E reader. they are in expensive compared to tablets computers. Then download the latest android OS onto a micro usb. then install it on the e reader. what you get a full function tablet for the price of a reader.add to it a solar charger and you will havea small computing device when everyone else is stumped.