Sign in to follow this  
vonBayern

Hammock

its the price that ruin's these two.

I didn't find price to be an issue. Been using a Jungle Hammock for 15 years. I have found quality to be an issue. I get tired of paying for something multiple times because it doesn't hold up.

Snake

To keep water from running down the rope and on to you you tie a piece of string just up the rope from the hammock but still under your cover that hangs down, called a drip knot some hammocks have these or a ball on the rope that does the same thing, not perfect but helps to divert to water off your backside

familliar but as you said NOT PERFECT here in texas we can get 3 incjhes of rain in an hour

and the sun will pop out and steam the starch out of your underwear LOL.

The Jungle Hammock comes with a large metal washer knotted in the rope. I have been in downpours and it works well.

I didn't find price to be an issue. Been using a Jungle Hammock for 15 years. I have found quality to be an issue. I get tired of paying for something multiple times because it doesn't hold up.

ANYTHING like that if you use it enough, you will have to mend and replace eventually.

I have an ENO hammock, with the bug net attachment and I love it. I camped with it a few times last summer/fall and I plan on taking it out again soon. For the underside, I took a cheap $.98 Wally World space blanket, cut it to my size and layered one side with bright orange duct tape (for structural strength and can double as signal device). I also have a 30* sleeping bag I use in the hammock, and can use my thermal blanket for insulation.

And then I also have a tarp I throw over the top in case of rain.

I wouldn't mind saving up for a nice hammock from these guys http://www.junglehammock.com/ as their hammock are everything all in one, but those price tags are a bit high for me.

Maybe when I get back from Basic Training.....

i got me a cheap hammock from a surplus store in the ca bay area it was $20 and it was one of the best investments i've ever made, except the fact it is blue and highly visable. this is just a cheapo hammock so it doesn't have a cover, but wal mart has some light weight tarps in the outdoor section for $10 or $15 and they fit perfectly over my hammock. problem solved now i have an above ground shelter that weighs less than 1lbs.

for the record wal mart also has hammocks for $25, light weight parachute material and goes in a little pouch bout the size of a grapefruit, comes with 2 carribeaners and ropes to secure it, it even has a tag with dif. kinds on knots you can use to secure it. pick up one of them tarps i was talking about and your set.

I too use an Eagles Nest Outfitters hammock for my BOB. Lighter then a tent, your off the ground so you don't have to carry a pillow, a ground mart, and if it floods your fine. I'd get that and a tarp, and thats your shelter.

we carry those too, as well as a tent. there is a time and a place for both and in that situation there is no substitute.

its the price that ruin's these two.

A buddy of mine recommemds this one.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/grand-trunk-skeeter-beeter-pro-hammock.aspx?a=501105

Double-sided zipper makes for easy in/out

• 2 pockets on inside for storage

• Overhead suspension system for easy set-up

• Stainless steel S-hooks for easy hanging

• Triple stitching on all stress points

• Triple stitching on mosquito netting to reduce tearing

• Net suspension kit: Two 20' pieces of shock cord

• 10'6" x 5"; weighs 28 ozs. 400-lb. capacity!

add a tarp for rain protection and you got a 3 season set up.

ive seen these awake, i'll stick with mine. just a better choice for me.

i dont like the fact that the mess net is always a part of the rig.

understood. I prefer the ground myself. easier for me to scramble out of a tent than hammock.

Ya know... I'd be all over a hammock to sleep in, but out here where I live, the only trees that grow are in city limits, and along the river 12 miles from where I am. But we have lots and lots of rocks. And sand. and sagebrush. ._. so at least with the sagebrush, If I bag an antelope, I'll be able to season it haha. But mostly I think I'll be eating rocks before I get an antelope much larger than a poodle.

I have both Sierra tents and a Jungle hammock. I find that it depends on the situation as to which I will use. For example, my GHB carries the hammock because I want something that packs very small, is extremely light to carry and deploys and packs up quickly. Besides, I would expect maybe one or two nights on the road before getting home.

The tents are generally for more than one person and for a longer duration. Maybe one to two weeks.

Both are designed for year-round use.

You just can't be too prepared! :rolleyes:

I have an ENO doublenest that I take with me everywhere. If it's a nice day I can pull out the hammock. My Clark North American goes with me camping, I don't sleep well on the ground anymore.