Sign in to follow this  
vonBayern

Hammock

Has anyone else thought about a small hammock for thier BoB?

Was at Acadamy today, just kinda wandering around seeing what they had and ran across thier hammocks.

They had several light weight versions that could fit in a ruck, including one that had mosquito netting.

If you don't have a tent, being off the ground is good.

Was thinking in terms of fire ants and snakes around here. What brought it to mind was wife told me they were mowing in front of one of the high schools and ran across some copperheads.

If you don't have a tent, being off the ground is good.

Was thinking in terms of fire ants and snakes around here. What brought it to mind was wife told me they were mowing in front of one of the high schools and ran across some copperheads.

I posted a short review (on youtube) about the Hennessy Hammock. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I think as long as there will be trees where you are camping, they're a great investment for camping and definitely worth having in a BOB.

I posted a short review (on youtube) about the Hennessy Hammock. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I think as long as there will be trees where you are camping, they're a great investment for camping and definitely worth having in a BOB.

I've seen photos where people used different things to suspend them, even a pair of mountain bikes (that were in turn staked down by lines). I expect in an urban environment I'll be able to rig something up, even if it's just a pair of vehicles.

I've seen photos where people used different things to suspend them, even a pair of mountain bikes (that were in turn staked down by lines). I expect in an urban environment I'll be able to rig something up, even if it's just a pair of vehicles.

In a bug out situation I'm assuming most people will want to be in tree cover. In an urban environment a hammock would kinda stick out lol

For recreational purposes I think its a good idea to have both a tent and a hammock.

A jungle hammock combined with a tarp is a great setup for all but the cold run a rope about 3' above your hammock to run your tarp over and stake it out if you keep the hammock low enough you can keep a fair amount of gear dry under you

Originally I wasnt even considering one because in a bug out situation I think a tent would better suit me. Although I am considering one for a GHB.

I still plan on a tent, IMO nothing replaces that for stable shelter. But a good hammock has its advantages. A stop during the day for a leisurely lunch break and a nap...maybe more so camping than a "OMG the flesheaters are coming" situation, but whatever. I t could be used for a quick campsite, maybe there's not room for a tent, like DonDon said, you can cover it and put your gear beneath it too. I got the black and green one from Eno, so it could also be used to help with camouflaging items. If need be it can be cut down and used as binding straps, patches, etc.

I still plan on a tent, IMO nothing replaces that for stable shelter. But a good hammock has its advantages. A stop during the day for a leisurely lunch break and a nap...maybe more so camping than a "OMG the flesheaters are coming" situation, but whatever. I t could be used for a quick campsite, maybe there's not room for a tent, like DonDon said, you can cover it and put your gear beneath it too. I got the black and green one from Eno, so it could also be used to help with camouflaging itemsI. If need be it can be cut down and used as binding straps, patches, etc.

And if the flesh eaters are coming you can put the hammock high enough to be out of reach...just watch that first step when you go pee in the middle of the night.

For those of you that don't have the bucks for a hundred plus dollar hammock...Buy 3 or 4 yards of ripstop nylon (I got mine at Walmart for a dollar a yard) Tie a knot in each end then tie a rope or strap so it is against the knot and hop in it. The secret to sleeping in a hammock is to lay in it diagonally. After I tried it out and decided I liked it I went back and hemmed it and sewed a loop onto the end of it. I'm a real big boy at 6' 2" and 275 and it was comfortable and good sleeping.

Do they have screened-in hammocks? We have some mean skeeters around here.

Yes they are called jungle hammocks and there are a few designs some are really

a tent sewn on to the hammock and others are just a drape cloth here one I was looking at the vortex is a two person hammock

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/northamerican/index.php

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/insulation/

Edited by DonDon
More info

Yes they are called jungle hammocks and there are a few designs some are really

a tent sewn on to the hammock and others are just a drape cloth here one I was looking at the vortex is a two person hammock

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/northamerican/index.php

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/insulation/

its the price that ruin's these two.

Try this one those are really nice but for the money and a few lbs you can convert this one

http://www.campmor.com/g-i-style-jungle-hammock.shtml

I all ready have a emergency thermal blanket for under lay and any light tarp over the top tied down or weighed with rocks

Those others have poles and that is one of the things that make them so nice, that they don't collapse around you when you lie down but hey I can't afford them either but i look at the expensive gear to get ideas and then pick the gear I can afford, and add a little in my BOB I carry a rain cover from a old tent that split( cant say here how the two of us split a tent) but the rain cover stuffed in a stuff bag is a light and small package for the protection it affords me.

Now do not take this as a negative

but mosquitoes bite from the underside also so unless i can have a tarp liner, a net cover

and a rain fly as it rains like a cow pissing on a flat rock around here.

that camping supply 1K of paracord and make your own or the 220# cord.

I made a miniature block and tackle with 550 so I can get it up in the air or suspend at a further distance

I keep hearing 20 foot of cord hell that's barley enough to make a pair of jump boot laces.

hammocks are great but a spreader needs to be on each end or it becomes a cocoon and difficult

to get out of so those banana types are not quick release IMO

those that are made out of fishing line are not as durable as the paracord types.

remember when it rains water flows down hill that is why i mentioned above a tarp liner as water

will follow the cord and your backside will get soaked in cold weather NOT GOOD.

so I would have a rainproof liner and a rain fly and bug net.

no it is not small but it works and in all weather and your liner and fly keeps you protected from

rain dust insects wind and snow

I also carry some office 2" Large Binder Clips for snares keeping fly or anything in place without

damage.

this kind of hammock can be used to raise your BOB and equipment out of sight in the canopy or to lower

off a cliff or make a mat raft or a net for a tiger pit / Malay trap.

if your not as spry as you used to be it is a good climbing tool depending on opening size or with the

block and tackle / hoist you can pull yourself up.

something to consider