Sign in to follow this  
325ernesto

EDC for an Earthquake

Hi! I work on the 7th floor of a 10 floor hospital situated on an active fault line. This facility was built sometime in 1940. I wear scrubs at work and need to be discreet about what I carry concealed.

My work EDC is:

a. whistle

b. Maglite mini AA

c. Leatherman Supertool

d. iPhone 4

Any suggestions to improve my ability to escape an entrapment?

Many thanks,

Ernesto

Not to be too doom n gloom, but I would mostly pray(or just plain hope) that an earthquake doesn't hit while you are there, but earthquakes are the number one thing I don't want to hit in my area. I'm on a fault line as well.

At least I can run from fires and hide from storms/tornadoes and people.

325ernesto

A parachute with a static line or 150 foot of climbing rope and a good harness and get some training

on rope work / climbing walls are everywhere now.

if a plane is on fire do you stay with it? if a ship is sinking do you tie yourself to the rail?

if you have a choice hell no leave and do it quick as after shocks may come.

engineering is not proof a building will stand or not catch fire should enough still be upright

evacuation is always advised so I am not following sheeple down broken stairs

if they do not have enough sense to have their own plan I cannot help that the only reason

buildings have all the escape roots is insurance and regulation and it hardly addresses the number

of people who want out NOW! IMO

and a small bug out to walk home as streets will be clogged with traffic.

Yes I meant to add some sort of mask, or perhaps a bandana to wrap around your face. When it's hard to breathe it is hard to do just about anything else. Also, maybe you could find a pair of lightweight goggle type safety glass to combo with the face covering. That might be getting into too much for a pair of scrubs though. Unless you can wear a fanny pack at work and withstand the ridicule following, haha.

These seem like they might work;

http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S3970DF-Dura-streme-Hardcoat-Anti-Fog/dp/B003U9VE94/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS?ie=UTF8&coliid=I309TC0B4Q1BLV&colid=QOODIGA51N9F

Depending on how close you are during the course of your day to your locker, you could perhaps keep some items in there.

Dust goggles like the military issue ones to keep dust/debris/smoke out of your eyes

Dust mask, same reasons... should have plenty of those in a hospital

Good leather working gloves in case you have to move any collapsed walls or anything.

Good knee/elbow pads, great in case you have to do any crawling or work on your knees.

Some good rope or 550 cord.

A good quality flashlight, and also a head lamp for hands free operation.

I realize you cant carry this stuff on you, but it may be worth keeping in your car or in your locker at work. Working where you do I think I would want it in a small bag that I could keep near me as much as possible, a type of GHB (get home bag). Not sure what hospital rules are on knives, but if possible I would carry a good quality heavy locking folder as well.

Hmmm...you can't do much about your location, except be COMPLETELY familiar with every single way down/out of the building.

What kind of shoes are you wearing during your duty shift? Broken glass is going to be a major issue if you get a quake, so good shoes that have puncture resistant shank/insoles are a good thing. Those foam rubber Croc things are just that, a crock, if you need to avoid getting hamburger feet. (Go watch the original Die Hard movie and see how sad Bruce Willis is because he has no shoes...)

As others have mentioned, you probably can't carry much else on you, in scrubs, but I'd definitely have a headlamp flashlight for hands free light (you will likely be crawling or jumping down/across at some point). If you can't swing a headlamp and a mini-maglight, invest in a headband that will hold the maglight on one side of your head. That way you can carry the headband in a pocket and use it when you need it.

Basically, protection for your hands and feet (from glass and sharp edges), a dust mask for your breathing, and a hands free light to see where you are going. Cell phone is obviously a good idea, too.

Hi! Schoeny,

We have N95 and surgical masks scattered around the unit. Will buy mechanic's gloves or similar for hand protection. Likewise, agree with you re: paracord and quality light sources.

Any suggestions for a quality heavy locking folder? Currently have a Leatherman Supertool on my belt.

Many thanks,

Ernesto

Hi! I work on the 7th floor of a 10 floor hospital situated on an active fault line. This facility was built sometime in 1940. I wear scrubs at work and need to be discreet about what I carry concealed.

My work EDC is:

a. whistle

b. Maglite mini AA

c. Leatherman Supertool

d. iPhone 4

Any suggestions to improve my ability to escape an entrapment?

Many thanks,

Ernesto

There are some good suggestions (a para-cord belt under your scrubs might prove useful for example). Take a moment to think about your dangerous areas. Assuming a damaged building that still standing, what is between you and safety? Flammables and Oxygen are almost a certainty. How about contagious/infectious areas? You do NOT want a cut from glass that has any cultures in them. I'd put a patch of reflective tape on EVERY exit. Maybe high up so no one really notices but where you could hit it with a light and see through a dusty environment. A green laser (sold at a lot of astronomy shops) would do a good job of penetrating dust and hitting the exit reflector.

If you can wear that paracord belt something like the EVAC-U8 http://www.iasa.com.au/folders/Safety_Issues/others/smokhood.html attached to the belt might be a life saver.

I admit I'm scared to death of earthquakes. With no immediate warning and no early indication of how bad it might get, all you can do is ride it out and pray. I'm a pilot and a control freak and I DO NOT LIKE being a passenger on ANY ride!

Just a couple of thoughts at random. Look over your building and think beyond the obvious "building collapse" issues. Fire of course, smoke/dust (think 9-11 levels of dust), poison gases and infectious organisms. What else might let go at ground level, just out side the building? If you have liquid gases (O2 or N2) and those tanks rupture, instant freezing to death is possible. A 1940's building is probably not up to code on current quake requirements so nothing can be taken for granted.

Do the survey and then think about how to respond to each issue. That doesn't even begin to include panicked but ambulatory patients. Dealing with getting yourself to safety may include dealing with patients who can't make it. That will be tough on you after the fact but you should face it now so you are prepared.

For a knife I'd say CRKT. They make some good quality heavy duty folders that are very easy to open one handed.

My EDC knife is: http://www.crkt.com/M1604Z

I also have this one as its slightly smaller but still pretty stout: http://www.crkt.com/M1603Z

I guess you could call that one my "dress knife" :)

Edited by vonBayern

For a knife I'd say CRKT. They make some good quality heavy duty folders that are very easy to open one handed.

My EDC knife is: http://www.crkt.com/M1604Z

I also have this one as its slightly smaller but still pretty stout: http://www.crkt.com/M1603Z

I guess you could call that one my "dress knife" :)

I have the CRKT minimalist neck knife. I normally don't like neck knives and such but this one is nice. Easy to conceal and comfortable to wear under a shirt.

There are 3 models, bowie, wharncliff, and tanto(i have this)...

http://www.crkt.com/Folts-Minimalist-Bowie-Razor-Edge-Knife

Hi! Autonomous, quite a suggestion...practical. Because I have to be discreet, I carry a Leatherman Supertool. Am interested in the Leatherman Wave as this has improved features. Also, considering a mini pry bar as well.

Many thanks,

Ernesto

If a para cord belt won't work for whatever reason get a large braclet and put it around your ankle. That would protect it from blood born pathogens and repeated hand washing. I don't know that much about knifes in general but don't go anywhere without my Wave tool. The extended battery for the iPhone is a good plan and add the flashlight app. That way you would have another flashlight with you at all times. Remember "one is none, two is one etc,etc..." and I live in the SF Bay area. Whoever said throw some sort of evac kit in your locker had a good idea. I seriously think abot doing something along those lines. The green laser was a good idea and even a red "cat toy" one would be a good fallback. Those are like under $10 and I see everywhere.