Sign in to follow this  
awake

trying to convince family members to Prep.

Interesting thread to be sure. I'm just at the beginning of my quest to prepare for an uncertain future. When the reality first hit me how vulnerable I and my family are to potential disaster I became a zealot for a few weeks, but had enough sense to keep my mouth shut, start studying up and swing into action. My wife is a great saver. She hates to buy anything not on sale, or if she can get it for free from her family, friends, etc. So when she noticed I was coming home with "supplies" I got the usual shakedowns.

I sat her down pretty quick and explained that since we both agreed about the un-predictable state of current events it's my intention to prepare our family for it. However, as I continued to explain the resulting "practical" what-if scenarios like what if the power went off and never came back on, what if food delivery stopped to the stores, etc. she just didn't want to deal with it, put up a wall and fell back on a biblical rant about the end of times... Her take on prepping was just "....one more thing on my plate I can't handle" It can wait, you should focus on fixing up the house instead, etc.

So, I simply told her not to worry, that I would prepare our family myself and would only ask her to help me "find things" and shop. I told her I wouldn't talk about it all the time either, but would need to talk to her sometimes, if only just to explain how to use my preparations.

Next, I asked her to say nothing to anyone including her family; 1. in case they might push her to discourage me or 2. complicate things by trying to help. Finally, I told her not to tell anyone else as it's not something I want to advertise. She agreed. Now I simply refer to prepping/dealing with disaster as "camping" which is also a very convenient explanation when my young kids ask.

There were a couple flare-ups when I first came home with "supplies" but I consistently tell her it can't wait, it's for the family and I'm gone so much it just makes sense if I never come back one day. It seems to be soaking in.

In any case, glad I "chilled out" and settled down from zealotry to steady determination. I don't feel the implies anymore to evangelize preparedness at all, it actually passed pretty quick and glad I kept my mouth shut as I would have just scared off people I like and care about. I will slowly offer to bring in the rest of the family and build a network of allies in-town once our preparations hit the 6-month supply level.

Wolfe

Edited by Dangerwolfe

I work for a state agency and recently they posted a list of things to obtain in case of an emergency. The list is actually a fairly decent attempt to guide folks in obtaining things they'll need for a short term situation. I took the liberty to send this message to my children and other family members. As many of you here have mentioned previously, you had family members explain that there really isn't any need for this as everything will be okay......At that point I just decided I would need to begin to obtain more than I had planned for as I can't stand back and watch my family during a time of serious need and not do anything.

Interesting that this thread "came along" today. I've been going it alone for months now and have just about gotten to the point of giving up. I've tried the angles...soft sell (weather emergency), the hard sell (economic collapse) and the no sell (getting the preps, practicing them on my own and then showing my wife the fruits of the labor). It ain't workin'. She likes the e.o. massages and she likes the idea of getting fresh veggies out of the garden I've planted, but the rest gets the eyes rolling.

I'm sure the old fashioned stigma of "survivalists" keeps her from taking it all too seriously, and I just can't crack that barrier.

We are both so busy in our work a day worlds, that she just doesn't want to deal with the prospect of a world that doesn't fit her view. She's a wonderful woman, but she sure is hard headed. LOL

Edited by MikeE

Interesting that this thread "came along" today. I've been going it alone for months now and have just about gotten to the point of giving up. I've tried the angles...soft sell (weather emergency), the hard sell (economic collapse) and the no sell (getting the preps, practicing them on my own and then showing my wife the fruits of the labor). It ain't workin'. She likes the e.o. massages and she likes the idea of getting fresh veggies out of the garden I've planted, but the rest gets the eyes rolling.

I'm sure the old fashioned stigma of "survivalists" keeps her from taking it all too seriously, and I just can't crack that barrier.

We are both so busy in our work a day worlds, that she just doesn't want to deal with the prospect of a world that doesn't fit her view. She's a wonderful woman, but she sure is hard headed. LOL

I am in the exact same boat, I will just keep on doing what I can until she comes around, I guess...

Mike, there are lots of people who will never accept the "what-ifs" because they just can't handle it. Some react like your wife by rolling their eyes in denial, others like my wife acknowledge the dangers but don't consider prepping a priority, perhaps another denial reaction base on fear. You may never crack the barrier...until the barrier cracks itself.

If a SHTF situ happens your wife will either step up to the plate or she won't, but in any case don't frustrate yourself by trying to convince her or force it on her. Do what I do and just carry on, you're not a kook, you're doing the prudent thing and you know it.

You don't need encouragement, appreciation or even help when it comes down to it...though it'd be nice.

Wolfe

Mike, there are lots of people who will never accept the "what-ifs" because they just can't handle it. Some react like your wife by rolling their eyes in denial, others like my wife acknowledge the dangers but don't consider prepping a priority, perhaps another denial reaction base on fear. You may never crack the barrier...until the barrier cracks itself.

If a SHTF situ happens your wife will either step up to the plate or she won't, but in any case don't frustrate yourself by trying to convince her or force it on her. Do what I do and just carry on, you're not a kook, you're doing the prudent thing and you know it.

You don't need encouragement, appreciation or even help when it comes down to it...though it'd be nice.

Wolfe

Thanks, Wolfe. I appreciate the words of encouragement. Like Jerry 9491 says above, I'll keep on prepping in hope that she comes around. But my enthusiasm has waned a bit. I realize most of us aren't kooks and my wife hasn't really gone down that road...I think like so many other Americans, she just doesn't take the threat seriously. It could never happen in America, right?

Edited by MikeE

Im dealing with this issue now. Bring up the subject to my mother, she was very receptive to the whole idea of prepping. She lives in rural Kentucky, so what we here call prep, really isn't much different from alot of country living ie. gardening, canning, simply putting stuff back for a later date in time...etcetc. Calling it prepping just gave her a hobby (Shes retired and lives alone far from me) and purpose behind it. For her side of the family, my mother's home would likely be the safest geography and home to be in.

Convincing my brother however is another story, has family of 5. Financially better off than most people, but kinda has his head in the sand when it comes to natural disasters. I presented the 'Prep' idea to my brother from the angle of 'Financial Collapse of America', making him worry about his money :P We've been having other conversations lately about 'good long-term investments' coughcough

We were close growing up in rural Kentucky, but are totally different people now. it wasn't hard though to get him to think back to our upbringing and some things our father did and things he taught us. Back then we didn't even realize why. It seems my dad was himself somewhat aware and took measures to insure our relative safety in disaster.

SO today I got some feedback from my brother, that sounds like I chose the correct approach to wake him up. Hit em in the wallet

Edited by NavyVet_77

Navy,

well done, sir. Most modern Americans can't see TEOTWAWKI so trying to talk about prepping falls on deaf ears. The reasons are many, often fear or self worth issues (I see my image as my job doing financial planning - if I start prepping I'm admitting that the way I spend my life is unimportant; not true but that is often the subconscious reaction) but the cure seems to be changing the approach. I'm not prepping with the canning and gardening. I'm engaging in family activities that are fun, release stress and lengthen my life so I can spend more time with the family I love. I have a BOB because we are down wind of the chemical plants and the GOVERNMENT says to have a 3 day supply of stuff. Or hurricanes - I'm not prepping for TEOTWAWKI - that's nuts, but we will have another hurricane/tornado/quake/snow storm/etc. and the government wants us to be ready.

I don't care WHY people prep, I only care that they do prep. If you're prepping for a tornado outbreak, you'll be in pretty good shape for a power disruption in winter or an EMP event. Baby steps first. Then you can talk about 'fear for my job' (NOT the economic meltdown of the Planet) as a reason to add stuff to the list.

Again, Navy, well done.

Since this thread was started I have had both sons, wife and 1 nephew, 1 niece, My sister and her husband have all started prepping.

Congratulations, Wolf. It is a relief when those we care about start taking care of themselves.

OK, I gotta ask - did the folks here have anything to do with the change?

What approach worked with them? It could help others.

Congratulations, Wolf. It is a relief when those we care about start taking care of themselves.

OK, I gotta ask - did the folks here have anything to do with the change?

What approach worked with them? It could help others.

Your damm right it did!

I had been talking at them for a long time. Then the DoomsDay Preppers show came on. Many of them watched the show and came to the concolution that they were all abunch of nuts. I told them how for real this is, showed them this site, sat back and waited. Some of them came around, which im thankful for.

Alot of what is said on here is pure commone sense and logic. the ture stories and things folks have been thur are enough to make any one sit up and take notice.

Thankful for this site.

Please forgive grama and spelling.

I believe many of the "prepping-vets" here already saw the After Armageddon video series. I just watched it on the net a couple nights ago in Wales. You newbies who want to convince your family and those you care about to take prepping seriously, then just have them watch this.

Very well done with loads of good info on how a major SHTF will go down.....

Here's part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r97xoSOEjM

I'm showing it to my wife as soon as I get back from Algeria.

Wolfe

You need to know your audience. Rather than just taking a direct 'fear factor' approach, take a minute to come up with a planned presentation.

If i had just bombarded my brother with End OF THE WORLD WHAT-IFs, he would have just thought me a nut, laughed and ignored the topic. But I chose to be tactful and objective in my approach, which struck a cord in him, and I got a good reaction.

There are many different angles to approach someone about prepping. And like CAPT BART said, "I don't care WHY people prep, I only care that they do prep."

I always explain it to men like this... I feel an obligation to take care of my family. I do a lot of possibly unnecessary things so that if something bad happens they will be taken care of. I hope and don't expect my house to catch on fire and burn down but every month I pay for homeowners insurance. I hope that I don't die but I have life insurance just in case so they will be provided for. The same is true of health insurance. It is a total waste...until you need it. You can't wait until something happens to buy insurance. When the Doc tells you your time is up you can't buy life insurance then.

I look at all of this as insurance for my loved ones. As a man I feel a moral obligation to try and insure that no matter what happens my family will not suffer unnecessary hardships. I have life insurance, I have insurance on my house and vehicles. I have health insurance on us and by God I have enough food that if something happens they won't have to starve. I also have the tools necessary to protect them. I'm not some welfare bum that will depend on others to protect and provide for those I love.

You need to know your audience. Rather than just taking a direct 'fear factor' approach, take a minute to come up with a planned presentation.

If i had just bombarded my brother with End OF THE WORLD WHAT-IFs, he would have just thought me a nut, laughed and ignored the topic. But I chose to be tactful and objective in my approach, which struck a cord in him, and I got a good reaction.

There are many different angles to approach someone about prepping. And like CAPT BART said, "I don't care WHY people prep, I only care that they do prep."

Could not agree more with your approach NavyVet, avoid scare tactics. When the ball dropped in my own head I really had to control the urge to evangelize, and said nothing to anyone except my wife. Glad I kept my mouth shut until I went from paranoia to acceptance of what might happen, but probably not going to tomorrow or next week or even next year. In fact, I avoid the subject outside the prepper community.

After Armageddon is a good educational tool once someone is on already the fence.....

Wolfe

Edited by Dangerwolfe

Made progress getting the wife on board for prepping recently, it's an aggravating process for me but so long as things move in the correct direction.

Did show her After Armageddon but emphasized that this program represents a worst case scenario. I stressed practical preparedness for "disruptions" etc of shorter duration say 3 months, and general shortages due to worsening economic conditions which I believe represent the biggest immediate threat. She actually thinks things will be much worse in the near future like in the movie, but ironically is not in any rush to help me get ready.

I really try not to beat prepping to death and not to talk about it all the time or even much at all but I need her help on some things because I travel constantly, gone weeks at a time so things need to be discussed when I'm around and done when I'm around. If I don't make it happen it will simply not happen.

For those of you in the same boat, as many here have already suggested, just be patience and do as much as you can on your own. They'll get used to the idea on their own time but don't wait around for their buy-in.

Wolfe

had a sit down with my daughter and my soon to be son in law this past weekend. My daughter has aways been on board with prepping and our plans. Her fiancee was agreeable to start prepping. Tonight he called and asked if i would meet him at the local gun range and teach him how to shoot. Yep i still have a big smile on my face.

had a sit down with my daughter and my soon to be son in law this past weekend. My daughter has aways been on board with prepping and our plans. Her fiancee was agreeable to start prepping. Tonight he called and asked if i would meet him at the local gun range and teach him how to shoot. Yep i still have a big smile on my face.

Congratulations on your new prepper! That's gotta be a great feeling.

Guest survival101

Nice job, awake. Talked to my Mom a couple of times (she's over 75) and she has always maintained an outstanding level of preparedness with no particular disaster in mind. We reviewed our individual water resources, EDC (she just calls it a purse, but trust me, it ranks up there as an EDC), defenses, and some protocols in case Grand Gulf goes down due to an earthquake or other.

Congratulations on your new prepper! That's gotta be a great feeling.

yes it does feel good. now some of my prepping money is going towards a wedding. if any of you find yourself planning to pay for a wedding the best advise i have gotten is plan on it being $2000 more than expected.

side note. the young man has some natural talent with handguns. next week rifles.

My dilemma is a little different: My best friend and her husband started a conversation about prepping incli. EMP. They are actually quite knowledgable, BUT: they are not doing anything!!!!!!!! URRRRRRRRRGH.

How do I get them off the dime??

My dilemma is a little different: My best friend and her husband started a conversation about prepping incli. EMP. They are actually quite knowledgable, BUT: they are not doing anything!!!!!!!! URRRRRRRRRGH.

How do I get them off the dime??

Perhaps... present it to them from an 'insurance' perspective. They know stuff. THey understand why. But either can't or won't invest anything towards prep right? Well... do they have health insurance? Car Insurance? 90% of the time you dont use these things, but LAW says you gotta have car insurance, dont know if its LAW to have home insurance or not but you get the point. PREPING can be considered a certain type of insurance against personal disaster.... or perhaps they just dont take SHTF as seriously as they should. Start them out small, with basic quality survival items, as personal gifts like on a birthday or something. Since they are open to the idea of preping, this opens the door the MILD couching.

Or maybe.. if you feel like being a little bolder.. forward them the article about the Bosnian guy thats floating around. THat sure woke up some people even here.

Edited by NavyVet_77

Perhaps... present it to them from an 'insurance' perspective. They know stuff. THey understand why. But either can't or won't invest anything towards prep right? Well... do they have health insurance? Car Insurance? 90% of the time you dont use these things, but LAW says you gotta have car insurance, dont know if its LAW to have home insurance or not but you get the point. PREPING can be considered a certain type of insurance against personal disaster.... or perhaps they just dont take SHTF as seriously as they should. Start them out small, with basic quality survival items, as personal gifts like on a birthday or something. Since they are open to the idea of preping, this opens the door the MILD couching.

Or maybe.. if you feel like being a little bolder.. forward them the article about the Bosnian guy thats floating around. THat sure woke up some people even here.

NavyVet, thanks for those good ideas. Actually, after thinking about it, it seems the husband is the one who is more serious about it. While she agrees that something serious could happen, she is more concerned with the here and now. I'll work on them.