Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bart

Introduction and welcome

I'm Capt Bart and live in a major, Texas Gulf Coast city. While I much prefer the tall and uncut, would live there if I could, job and family concerns dictate I stay here. Family concerns also makes bugging out extremely difficult so inside of this group we will discuss Urban survival hints, tips, and guides. Questions, answers, thoughts and ideas on what may be useful are all welcome. Since we are all prepping, separately together, no topic is off limits but since we are also all learning, no personal attacks etc. are allowed. We'll keep in civil and all learn.

hi cb

don't know where start.i live in the midwest.one thing i haven't heard mentioned here are hand grass juicers.with these you can juice fruits,vegetables,grass,sprouts.this process removes the much needed fiber but you also remove a lot of bulk.then receive much more vitamins,minerials.but as i said it removes fiber.it looks like a hand meat grinder.also the prevention of insect bites,which could be the fastest spread of diease.the romans gave silver canteens to there soldiers,they mixed wine and water,half & half.the wine ate particles of silver off (natural antibiotics).killed the bad,left the good.research food grade hydrogen peroxide,it was invented in the 18 hundreds.there was many uses,proved itself many times getting towards the end of the 18's,pharma and companys got it stopped.just recently got back on the market.but beware its many times than the store bought kind,add plenty of water (distilled).hope this is good for a start.

I'm from a small Southeast Texas town on the border of Texas and Louisiana. When I was 18, I worked in a local grocery store about the time a hurricane was being tracked to hit our area. What I saw while working at the store, opened my eyes. I knew how often we got trucks in and how long our shelf stock lasted. After the last minute rush on water and canned foods, our shelves were left almost bare. I reflected on this and realized how fragile our system really is.

JIT food delivery and water delivery, which seemed like a great thing before,didn't seem like such a great idea after a lot of thought.

Being young, I didn't really think too much about it. Now, here I am about twenty years later, and I find myself even more worried than I was then.

I've begun my preparation plans for a shelter in place approach. My father in law ( a former Marine) lives 1 block away and has a fairly defensible place. So, I'll be positioning supplies in both places. A place out this area isn't in the cards at the moment, as I have a pregnant wife.. I won't be making any hard bug out trips for many years to come.

I have four months of good for four people in the works, I'm learning to garden and acquiring non-hybrid seeds. Between the two places we have plenty of firearms, though I am going to get an AR-15 with plenty of .223 ammunition in the near future. This will supplement an already impressive arsenal at the secondary location.

That's pretty much my intro, I'll post my next question in the forum.

I have four months of good for four people in the works, I'm learning to garden and acquiring non-hybrid seeds. Between the two places we have plenty of firearms, though I am going to get an AR-15 with plenty of .223 ammunition in the near future. This will supplement an already impressive arsenal at the secondary location.

That's pretty much my intro, I'll post my next question in the forum.

Todd,

A caution about AR platforms. .223 ammo is safe to shoot in 5.56 weapons. 5.56 ammo is NOT safe to shoot in .223 weapons. There are some chambered for both but in general, I suggest that you get a 5.56 platform and not a .223 platform, especially if you already have a 5.56 in the mix. I can not tell the ammo apart by looking and the possibility of me getting the wrong caliber is too high for me to be comfortable with. I don't particularly like AR pattern rifles (you'll see that in many posts) but this is an issue of safety that must be addressed.

Just the not so humble opinion of a .30 caliber bigot.

That was my mistake, the AR that I'm getting is a 5.56 platform.

Depends some on the situation, of course. Basically I like lever guns so I tend to favor a Marlin in 30-30 or 45-70. Not always appropriate for the task at hand but I do have a .22 and a battle rifle. I'm not sure I'd ever need that battle rifle as I don't ever aim to need a full blown combat arm but I have one just in case. BTW, I don't consider ARs nor AKs as battle rifles; they are carbines. M1 Garands, M14s, M1A, and HK-91 class weapons, usually in .308 but the .30-06 works as well are rifles and the rounds match. More capability and flexibility than the carbines.

Just my not so humble opinion.

I look at it from the stance of if it ever comes into play as a self defense weapon you want as few shots as possible. Explaining 2 30-06 holes to a jury is easier then 14 .22 holes

Yep. While the sheriff's statement after cornering perp who had executed one of his deputy's felt right; a civilian being stupid enough to say this could well go to jail. The comment? When asked why the perp had been shot 56 times the sheriff responded "because that's all the ammo we had!"

My drill instructor us to said that it was not the bullet size,but where you put it, that matters the most

True but that requires a great deal of consistent training and, unfortunately, experience in 2 way lead exchanges. Almost no one will be without adrenaline effects the first few times they are in a fire fight. Dealing with that makes fine motor skills only a distant memory and precision shot placement a pipe dream. That is the reason for the 'center mass' mantra you hear most often. That way when you miss, and you most likely will, your aim point you'll still hit the BG somewhere.

Just my not so humble opinion.