Sign in to follow this  
Guest survival101

What about Guinea Fowl? Anyone have comment or experience?

Guest survival101

I understand that in their foraging, they keep down the tick population. And, their unique vocalizations (:B) make a good early warning system. Thoughts?

Guineas are pretty good birds. They roost in trees and if you have them around your place NOTHING bigger than a rat is going to approach you without EVERYONE knowing that something is up. They are noisy as hell. The meat and eggs are good and they are pretty tough but massively stupid.

You should build a coop for them...make it coon proof, don't use chicken wire when you make your coop, a coon will rip that apart fairly easily. If you let them just roost in trees they will get picked off one by one.

You will need to feed them some grains, around here its a combination of hen scratch and black diamond sunflower seeds. Put the grain in feeders in their pen and scatter a little on the ground in the coop. Do that about 3 hours before sundown because about an hour before sundown mine would start to try to roost. It was easier to herd them into the coop before they thought about roosting in the trees.

If you have a garden they will help keep it bug free and not hurt your crops, they will eat ticks and they will kill snakes. I have heard that if you have a bee hive they will park themselves in front of it and eat the bees as they come out...

Another place you can look for info is:

http://www.guineafowlinternational.org/links/

Edited by vonBayern

We had em when I was a little fella. I think ours suffered from severe depression though. Every one of them marched out into the road in front of the house and played Don Quixote with 18 wheelers. They were some dumb birds!

I am with Damn & hossfly on this one I am not totally for it if your worried about being quiet

but if noise is not a negative and you live in rural area then great they can help protect your chickens

I would not have a flock of them a male and 2 hens ought to be plenty. for a couple dozen chickens.

I use roll fencing 2x4 inch it kept out everything kust do not have your roosts to close or a coon

or bob cat has a good reach and can and will pull a full grown chicken through a hole the size of a small

grapefruit.

if money is a problem used hurricane fencing is a good alternative it is woven in such a way as

a strand can be twisted in place to replace a damaged one and as I had stated in a previous post

sheet metal like corrugated iron or R panel buried at least 6 inches in the ground all around the coop

will prevent most animals from digging in also back fill with rock or busted tile what ever you can find.

I had dug up some old concrete pipe and used that anything sharp or hard to repel digging.

under the door match ridges on the metal so the door seals good you should have to step over

6 to 7 inches to enter so when you have chicks they do not have easy access out.

I screw the Iron on one side it acts like a hinge and closes by it self and a cross bar

angle iron with a hole drilled in one end so it can be anchored with one lag bolt so it can spin free

in a circle on the other side a flat bar or I used a strand off a cattle panel ground the end sharp

and drove it in like a nail and bent an ell to accept the angle iron if I need to I can use a short chain

and anchor it with a fence staple and drill the free end of the angle iron to accept a pad lock

through the chain and angle so the bar cannot be raised.

the angle iron can be adjusted by the lag bolt tightness on the swing side I would advise a washer

under the angle iron on the other side the flat iron or wire closeness to the flat so no gap when the

cross bar is down it also helps with wind banging the door that scares the animals.

I will try to post a pic later.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recent Topics

• HELLO! WELCOME TO THE GREAT TEMPLE OF ILLUMINATI WORLD RICHES. Are you a business Man, politician, musical, student and you want to be rich, powerful and be famous in life. You can achieve your dreams by being a member of the Illuminati brotherhood, and receive a monthly salary of $500,000 USD. We are ready to change your life, we can make your Dreams come true, also we are going to give you everything that you need in this Life .... *Riches  *Power *Famous *Wealth  With this all your dreams and heart desire can be fully accomplish,So have you make up your mind that you want to join the great Illuminati brotherhood to become rich and famous in life population and also you will be protected from all evils against you and your family.
      If you're really ready to be a member of the great Illuminati Brotherhood then contact us via WhatsApp:  +1 315 203 9948 or our official Email: {officialilluminati999@gmail.com} Visits our Websites for more info: https://illuminatiofficial666world.wordpress.com

• HELLO! WELCOME TO THE GREAT TEMPLE OF ILLUMINATI WORLD RICHES. Are you a business Man, politician, musical, student and you want to be rich, powerful and be famous in life. You can achieve your dreams by being a member of the Illuminati brotherhood, and receive a monthly salary of $500,000 USD. We are ready to change your life, we can make your Dreams come true, also we are going to give you everything that you need in this Life .... *Riches  *Power *Famous *Wealth  With this all your dreams and heart desire can be fully accomplish,So have you make up your mind that you want to join the great Illuminati brotherhood to become rich and famous in life population and also you will be protected from all evils against you and your family.
      If you're really ready to be a member of the great Illuminati Brotherhood then contact us via WhatsApp:  +1 315 203 9948 or our official Email: {officialilluminati999@gmail.com} Visits our Websites for more info: https://illuminatiofficial666world.wordpress.com

• INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,,  I GOT SOMETHING NEW
      Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months! See how it works
      Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
      Make up you mind before applying, straight deal... Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
      via email address::{Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}

We have specially programmed ATM cards that  can be use to hack ATM
      machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
      stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
      buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
      and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
      you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
      services, we are here for you anytime any day. Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS: Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
      Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
      Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
      Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
      Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!! The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
      email address:: {Universalcardshackers@gmail.com} Visit our Website for more Info: https://automatictellers.webs.com
      ®
      Make up you mind before applying, straight deal... Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us

services, we are here for you anytime any day. Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS: Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
      Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!! The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
      email address:: {Universalcardshackers@gmail.com} Visit our Website for more Info: https://automatictellers.webs.com
      ®

®