Sign in to follow this  
Danm

Alternatives For the urban apartment dwelling prepper

I bought the regular bushman first and more or less TRIED to mess it up. I am a really big boy and could drive them in a tree on their side and use them for steps to climb it without worry. The regular bushman is a good knife and I even made it a wooden insert to fill the handle for looks and to have a pattern if I needed to whittle a spear haft for it. This also is held in with a screw that I will use on the spear so it can't come off.

Then I ordered the Bowie version and it is a much better spear because the point is more in line with the center of the handle and when I sharpened the back side in the curve it became VERY pointy. I use the same rules with it and most of my knives that I use with fish hooks. If you can drag it across your thumbnail without it digging in and holding it isn't sharp enough. I don't do this to tanto style blade though. I want them to be more robust.

It may be made in China but when I'm looking to protect and provide for my family that doesn't bother me a bit. Cold Steel is an American company. If there was ANYTHING even close to the quality that wasn't over twice the price I might go for it but there isn't. I ain't a gonna cut off my nose to spite my face. Most of the price stays right here in America I'll pay the Chinese a dollar to do the hard work on it so I can have what I want and need at a price that I can afford.

That's the spirit. Don't come crying to me when your job goes to China.

That's the spirit. Don't come crying to me when your job goes to China.

Don't worry they can't take my job away. I own the company and it involves going to people's home to fix their appliances and AC/Heaters. If you don't do business with a company that you like then pretty soon there are none left that you do like. Cold Steel sells a quality product at a fair price. I drive American made cars and STILL they are covered up with parts from overseas. I buy local when I can and would rather buy something made in China from a neighbor than something that cost twice as much that wasn't as good from someone a thousand miles away.

I don't have a problem with the Chinese. I have a problem with our Government making it so an American company can't really compete with a foreign company. NAFTA was an example of the government stabbing us in the back and making China a favored nation is another example. In China they call a slop bucket in the corner sanitary facilities. There is no OSHA or Environmental Protection Agency. They pay nearly nothing and people over there live in 150 sq ft apartments.

As long as our government supports them over us we might as well get while we can because eventually we won't have anything here to sell. I can't afford a 150 dollars for a knife. If someone wanted to make them here for even 50 I would probably go for it but they don't so I buy what I can afford.

I don't cry by the way. I don't get mad either...I get even...and SMILE while I do it.

Edited by Danm

I have an apartment that I live out of to work. I don't keep much by way of "preparedness" there except some of the long-burning emergency candles, some back up food (cans and boxes), a couple pallets of bottled water, a weather radio, flashlights, spare batteries, some OTC meds, and a couple of firearms.

If things got bad, I'd drive 34 miles to my other place where I'm much better off. Heck, if I couldn't drive it I'd hoof it.

The really crappy thing about the apartment is that it's all, 100% electric. At my other place at least I have gas water heater, stove, and a nice Dearborn heater connected in the living room for just such an emergency. If the disaster was bad enough to cause a disruption in gas, which I've yet to experience, I could just make due without, but the probability of power going out is great. I've already left my apartment twice and gone home due to power outages as a result of storms. A/C is my friend.