Sign in to follow this  
Danm

Alternatives For the urban apartment dwelling prepper

SC,

extremely well said, sir. I agree, by the way, that your reputation can be your most valuable asset. Being known as a solid, dependable, truthful neighbor is worth more than gold as your situation demonstrated.

Thank you for a well thought out post.

Ok before you Texans agree with each other to death I'll take a step back and remind you that a good chunk of the nation lives in the bellow freezing at night zone....

I agree with the shotgun but disagree with the knife and machete. If you really are getting into enough close up fights to need a machete AND a fixed blade you mess up big. Pick one then use the extra weight your not carrying to pick up a water filter or something that will keep you alive the 95% of the time your not trying to be Rambo and win knife fights with no knife fighting experience...

Each area has it's own challenges, advantages and disadvantages. In South East Texas, freezing to death isn't much of a problem. I've never seen enough snow to do much with and don't know anything about dealing with it so I don't address that. You may get freeze dried in a blizzard, I may get blown into the next state by a Hurricane. EVERYONE needs to understand that advice and tips given by anyone are most likely only applicable in certain areas.

I KNOW the woods and swamps of East Texas and for me survival in those areas actually won't be very challenging. There is food everywhere you look and water is not much of a problem either. What I mostly want to be prepared for is keeping a$$wipes from harming me and mine during that first few months. After that it won't be much of a problem...they will be mostly dead. There IS a reason you don't and never have heard about riots in Texas. We are not just allowed; we rather are encouraged to defend ourselves and our property.

As far as the machette and belt knife are concerned I guess we will just have to disagree. To me a machete and belt knife are tools. Have you ever been in a jungle?? What are you going to use to cut and chop for firewood? If I'm going to carry a machete it is going to be pointy. A nice long pointed weapon will make a lot of people think twice and besides that why not turn it into a multi-use tool. I'm a machinist and have a shop so changing the shape of a knife or tool is not something that I have a problem with.

I look at a fixed blade knife as something that anyone who wants to survive needs to have. As far as I know nearly every army in the world issues some sort of fixed blade knife or bayonet. I hope that I'm never silly enough to let someone get on top of me where a knife is the weapon of choice but if it happens I'll be prepared for it... How are you going to butcher critters without a knife?

PS: Got water filters but won't need them as long as I can say in this area. I've put in wells before and will do it again if I have to. I have several springs near my place and know how to tap them seal them and pull the water up without power. I also have a pool with several thousand gallons of water that I can use AND have a 2500 gallon plastic cistern hooked to gutters off the roof that I hope to upgrade to 5000 gallons this year and may go off grid as far as water. One good rain fills the cistern. Water is a must and I've covered that as best I can.

Edited by Danm

Danm,

I agree that not everyone can 'walk away' from their livelihood. Wouldn't even want them to try. For a whole lot of financial reasons you might have to stay put. What you CAN do is recognize the limitations and prepare. The issue becomes what is the most likely SHTF event. Does it make sense to have a storage shed in suburbia as a good place to head for on your way out of Dodge? You don't want to be seen moving supplies so don't have to move them. If you can't have a BOL that you own, do you have a place you can go? A lake shore is not a bad place if it has enough cover. I'm not a big fan of caches as your preps are now out of your control but it could be the best option for a given situation.

Two thirds of the way up a high rise may not be the worse place to be but it isn't good on any number of levels. This gets back to 'leave early' or ride it out. Much like hurricane preps, if you're not gone soon enough, you are safer to ride it out that try to escape when the moment has past.

We have to survive to TSHTF event in order to survive past the event but never lie to yourself about your preps or environment. If a pandemic kills 90% of the people in a city, then there will be supplies IF you can get to them without getting the illness. If food shuts off and everyone riots, there is NOTHING there for weeks. Then what's left is limited. You have to be prepared to ride that out if you can't leave in time.

Not an easy choice - I'd rather live just outside a small town with a solid 6 figure income. I just haven't figured out how to do that so I work in suburbia. If I'm totally wrong, I may not live long enough to know it.

All we can do is our best.

Well put, Captain Bart! I wish I'd said that...

I wonder how many people thought of going to a state or national park as a BOL. Some of them have cabins...don't know if that would be a good option for some of the more urban dwellers.

Edited by vonBayern
corrections

I don't know about national parks but National Forests are huge and offer a lot of opportunities. The only thing about them is that a lot of urban types come to them every year to hunt. MAN talk about frightening! The first week of deer season they descend in droves, build huge fires, stay up all night drinking and then go out the next morning and shoot at most anything that moves.

Give them a month or so to starve to death and then it should be ok. Most don't know how to hunt much less harvest and make so much noise that every critter for miles around hauls ass into the parks and subdivisions until they leave. LOL.

Yeah, I was looking at it from the view point of you don't have a place to go...you have to get out of the city...and there's a ready built house for you.

I also like the idea of the national forests better...If they had cabins there, well then.

I also like the idea of the national forests better...If they had cabins there, well then.

Our national forests have something that is potentially much cooler than your average cabin: Lookout towers, most of which are only intermittently staffed so there's a high probability they won't be occupied when SHTF. Here's an example of one I've actually seen:

http://www.firelookout.com/or/waldo.html

Most states have at least SOME in their national parks; Idaho has the most, only Kansas has none. Even if you don't think it's likely that you would want to take over an existing site, you could do a little research with the Forest Service and find out where sites USED to be. Almost all of them are well off the beaten path for the Golden Horde, and given that they are set up to provide a wide view of the surrounding area (to be able to spot fires), you could definitely prevent anyone from creeping up on you by surprise. They may also be set up for (or have remnants of) HAM or other radio communications, since that was how they communicated with others - through radio relay systems.

Just a thought, anyway. For more info: http://www.firelookout.org/

Besides that is why I have the shotgun, so I don't have to get in knife fights.

During bayonet training, the instructor was saying, "if the bayonet gets bound up in a joint or bone, pull the trigger and the recoil will free the weapon". A good southern boy piped up from the back ranks, "Drill Sergeant, If there's a bullet in that there gun, there AIN'T GONNA BE NO BAYONET FIGHT!" First and only time I ever saw a drill sergeant speechless.

If you want to see a jungle just come to South East Teas or South West Louisiana. They even made a National Park out of The Big Thicket. It is huge and thick as hell. Trying to cut your way through a vine infested thicket with an ax is just pointless. A machete will drop a pine tree in short order where an ax won't help you through a bramble patch. I can skin a critter with the edge of my machette and defend myself if I just have too with it.

For the terrain where I live the machete makes a lot of sense. As I've pointed out before, I know what works where I live and make no claims about what works better in the north country. For one thing I don't see myself trying to cut wood for the winter like people need to do up north. In that case a machete is almost useless.

To me a knife is an indispensable tool. I've carried one in my pocket every day of my life since I was 9 and feel totally naked without one on my person. I don't go in for big ole pig stickers usually. To me a 5 1/2" blade is a handy size for most uses. I do carry a Buck sheath knife that is a little longer than that but also carry a smaller one as well.

When I'm outfitted I have three belt knives,( one is a cold steel bushman that will become a spear) a Kurkri (a Kabar one soon I hope) 2 Swiss army type knives (one regular army and another bigger one) a Kershaw assisted opening folder, a Leatherman, a Coast pocket toolbox,a Hawk and a straight razor. If I have the room there is also a modified Cold Steel Katana Machete or Cold Steel cutlass Machete as well. I LIKE edged tools and can do a lot with them including throwing them.

If the coming crud lasts very long, sooner or later the ammo will become to precious to use except in life threatening instances. With my edged tools I can and HAVE made bows, arrows, spears, atlatls and the small spears they throw. As long as I have a knife I am a very dangerous man. I don't depend on complicated weapons to MAKE me that way. I work hard to be that way even if I'm butt naked and with nothing better than a throwing stick. Guns make people cocky and brave. I would rather be sneaky and stab you in the back never giving you a chance to harm me...or just sneak away so you never know how close you came to dying.

Edited by Danm

I liked the first bushman so much that I ordered a second one. They are nearly indestructible and worth their weight in gold as a just all around utility knife. I also think that a spear has a lot of good uses in a survival situation. In my case I use it to dispatch critters that I've trapped without letting them have a chance to even scratch me.

I think the knife question has a lot to do with how a person feels about getting personal when they kill. If I decide that something needs killing I have no problems getting close enough to watch their eyes dilate as they give it up. I was raised country and have killed a lot of things with a knife. club or hatchet and eaten them for supper.

Damn

you had me at cold steel "bushman" LOL

Do you guys have the bushman or the bushman bowie blade? Ive heard you guys bring it up almost enough times to spend the ~25$ for the extra knife.

Do you guys have the bushman or the bushman bowie blade? Ive heard you guys bring it up almost enough times to spend the ~25$ for the extra knife.

it's a fantastic and tough knife and has a hollow socket to make it into a spear it's so tough

you can use it as a digging tool and with a striking tool you can strike the back to chop through

heavy limbs etc great for 2x the price I did mig weld a knurl for a finger guard on the edge side

but that does not detract from the original. and I do not think it can be broken without a hell

of a lot of leverage, more than an average man could exert.

WEll I turned my girlfriend upside down and she had China stamped on her but she works well

so I'am keeping her

Snake, I will pay you for a picture of that! :o :o :o :o

I bought the regular bushman first and more or less TRIED to mess it up. I am a really big boy and could drive them in a tree on their side and use them for steps to climb it without worry. The regular bushman is a good knife and I even made it a wooden insert to fill the handle for looks and to have a pattern if I needed to whittle a spear haft for it. This also is held in with a screw that I will use on the spear so it can't come off.

Then I ordered the Bowie version and it is a much better spear because the point is more in line with the center of the handle and when I sharpened the back side in the curve it became VERY pointy. I use the same rules with it and most of my knives that I use with fish hooks. If you can drag it across your thumbnail without it digging in and holding it isn't sharp enough. I don't do this to tanto style blade though. I want them to be more robust.

It may be made in China but when I'm looking to protect and provide for my family that doesn't bother me a bit. Cold Steel is an American company. If there was ANYTHING even close to the quality that wasn't over twice the price I might go for it but there isn't. I ain't a gonna cut off my nose to spite my face. Most of the price stays right here in America I'll pay the Chinese a dollar to do the hard work on it so I can have what I want and need at a price that I can afford.