Hi everybody. I've all but decided on building a BOL that basically amounts to a structure which is covered except for a ground level roof and a set of steps, and I'm looking to camo those areas, but the shipping containers I'm making the structure out of can't support too much weight on top, so I can't just lay cement and go from there.

Prettymuch like in Post 39 on here: http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=93479&page=2

I would lay some tarps and matching foliage, but if a disaster happens that takes out plant life (like in The Road), my little plot would be very noticeable. I'm looking for something of absolutely no value to hide my air filters, periscopes, etc. in. If concrete wasn't out of the question, I would make it look like an unfinished house foundation, and disguise my filters and such to look like pipes set into the concrete. I also don't want anything too inviting, otherwise you never know when other people might set up camp on what they think is just an empty field, leaving me to either be trapped until they leave, or cause a conflict.

As far as terrain goes, the area has soil of dirt and sandy dirt, and is where the mountains meet the plains. Thank you for any help, as I'm a little stumped.

Ummm, would it be possible to pour some footings around the buried container, then lay premade concrete slabs over the container (not actually touching it, just on the footings)? This could give you some space to possibly play with between the top of the container and the new concrete 'roof'.

Of course maybe this wouldnt work for some glaringly obvious reason... Im not in construction, just a thought I had, hope it helps.

I've been looking at shipping containers as well, have been thinking about using two or three and connecting them.

This guy made a cellar using one, but the video shows how he took care of the weight problem. May be of some use to you.

As far as hiding your air intake and entrance, I'd use shrubs/bushes. Where the air intakes are I'd use some type of local flora that has thorns to help discourage people from getting too close.

Edited by vonBayern

Huh, only 60,000 on the corners? I load semi's and cargo containers for a living (forklift driver) and we regularly load 40 foot containers with ~42,000 lbs of product, plus whatever the container itself weighs. And Im almost certain I have seen containers stacked 3-4 high on ships for transport. Then again maybe they were trasporting emptys for some reason...

Hi guys, sorry I didn't check the thread for a while, I've been really busy with work stuff. I like the idea of the shrubs, but I'm looking for something that nobody would look to use as emergency kindling if there's a disaster that kills off a lot of plant life. I got the idea the other day that I could make the area look like an old family cemetery - fake headstones could be used to hide the pipes, it would be low-key, even in bad times people stay away from cemeteries, and if I need to have some kind of building on the ground above to hide an entrance or something, a small one wouldn't look out of place because a lot of cemeteries have a building that holds their tools and such.

VonBayern, how are you looking to lay out your containers?

Schoeny, I could easily be wrong, I got my info from a few Google searches, and I've seen them stacked seven high on ships in pictures, so I could see where they might hold a lot more weight.

One thing you might think about. If you do put up a small building to look like a caretaker's tool shed or something, someone might decide that it's a good place to hole up in. I know it wouldn't bother me a bit to be in the middle of a cemetery, even one that's off the beaten path with no lighting.

Schoeny, I could easily be wrong, I got my info from a few Google searches, and I've seen them stacked seven high on ships in pictures, so I could see where they might hold a lot more weight.

Keep in mind that the containers you see stacked up on ships are load bearing on their corners where the stress is designed to be handled. Underground the stress is transferred to the flat sides which are not designed for the load. Just something to think about.

How about prairie grass or native scrub? No one will be using it for kindling, and it probably won't look out of place. Plant it around and on top of the BOL, and you could even fashion a "planter door" to cover the entry.

there is some foam binary comes in a carry type box you can find it at lowes or home depot

at least they use too but shop around prices vary links at the bottom of page

a bit pricey but we used the same thing to camo sat dishes in the mountains no one found them.

if done well it can look like a hill it can be painted or textured with a model spritzed with gasoline

{eats the foam so you can do patterns etc.

I helped with a couple of movies and this was the go to stuff for making caves and old stone etc

you may have to do some figuring on how many boxes maybe bury 2 sides to help minimize

full exposure or having to totally camo the whole thing.

if you get buckets of paint that include foliage in the different seasons and dirt you can add

natural elements to blend into the surrounding area.

http://www.energyefficientsolutions.com/Quick_Cure.asp?item=FOAM605

http://www.sprayfoamdirect.com/products/spray-foam-kits

Do you happen to know if the stuff is UV stabilized, Snake, or have you used it in your part of the country? I'm aware of its existence and I've thought about using it for camoflauge, but most foamy things start breaking down pretty quickly when exposed to our Southwest sun.

I'm not sure if anyone is still following this thread but i was just thinking about how you would be able to hide your vents the other day, a buddy and i came up with a plan of using tree stumps.

if you have access to a couple stumps you could pull em up with a truck hollow em and bury them wherever you want. might have to do some digging but concealment is everything after cover.

Do you happen to know if the stuff is UV stabilized, Snake, or have you used it in your part of the country? I'm aware of its existence and I've thought about using it for camoflauge, but most foamy things start breaking down pretty quickly when exposed to our Southwest sun.

Azatty

sorry if it has been a while but I wander through and miss some of my previous posts

and the short and long answer is no BUT the paint you use can be FYI it is easy to use on chicken wire

or expanded metal for tile and it is pretty tough once set.

by the time you get it done, dozens of people will know about it. If you can't do it yourself, in a night or two, leaving no sign, it will be noticed by at least a few people, and they'll talk to quite a few more. If shtf, they'll remember it, too.