Sign in to follow this  
Latakia

Ducks - Possibly The Best Livestock

We have Indian Runner ducks right now and they seem to be really hearty. They don't fly at all and are prolific egg layers according to all the literature. Ours are not mature yet but if nothing else they are just cute as hell running around the yard. Think Daffy duck. They are black with unusually upright posture and keep the yard and garden pretty much bug free. I live in East Texas near Lake Livingston and they seem to like the weather here so far. We dug them a little pond and they swim to cool off then got foraging some more.

hi all

kevin like your post till you said possum.vultures,possums are both edible,but are side by side on my list. possums find something dead to eat,then start at the a---hole following the digestive track...uuummmm. a vulture with 4 legs.hewhehe

When we raised ducks we did get a kiddy pool for them. But baby ducks will drown if you don't give them a way to get in and out of the pool. We used brick to make a small staircase on both sides of the pool, both inside the pool and outside. And to keep the little darlings healthy, the water will need to be changed at least every other day.

Don't eat the plastic kiddie pool.

Just saying.

ROFL LMAO!!!

Damn that was unexpected and funny

I did not know this about ducks.

How can people not like eating duck... ever had PEKING duck? Just make sure you get the recipe for it before shtf lol.

I wish I could have ducks. I have a cat. His favourite past time is killing pretty little birds that I entice over with bird feeders etc...

ahh well... cant have it all

just for the few of you before you eat anything "different" make sure you can get to the hospital duck eggs are different than chicken eggs and I have seen people have an allergic reaction to them the most anomalous for sure but have plenty of benadryl on hand and I am glad to see they have a replacement for the Primatien inhaler this also helps during a EVENT.

Event= any reaction to inhaled or ingested even topical if it has a reaction including but not limited to shortness of breath, skin /mouth rash, or nervous

ticks or trembling NO I am not a doctor but there is nothing worse than seeing someone you care about strangle and suffocating and your powerless to help.

just for the few of you before you eat anything "different" make sure you can get to the hospital duck eggs are different than chicken eggs and I have seen people have an allergic reaction to them the most anomalous for sure but have plenty of benadryl on hand and I am glad to see they have a replacement for the Primatien inhaler this also helps during a EVENT.

Event= any reaction to inhaled or ingested even topical if it has a reaction including but not limited to shortness of breath, skin /mouth rash, or nervous

ticks or trembling NO I am not a doctor but there is nothing worse than seeing someone you care about strangle and suffocating and your powerless to help.

Good point

I have stuffed allergy benadryl in my bob