Sign in to follow this  
Latakia

Ducks - Possibly The Best Livestock

Consider the duck:

- Probably the hardiest of all domestic livestock. It is common for all ducklings in a litter to survive to adulthood.

- Require little care

- Very few illnesses

- Produces larger and more substantial eggs than chickens.

- Produces eggs for more seasons than chickens.

- Some breeds produce more eggs per year than chickens do.

- Larger than chickens (more meat)

- More calories and fat than chickens, also a substantial source of iron (chickens are not)

- Are foragers - Little feed required, form of natural pest control

- Can eat a more diverse assortment of food

- Can survive colder weather and warmer weather than chickens can.

- Down can be used for a variety of heat-retaining uses.

- Simpler, less expensive housing facilities required for ducks than for chickens.

- Less impact on ground condition than chickens (do not tear up ground)

Sounds great...just need a pond..

and Welcome..great first post..

Thanks. While ducks seem to be happier with a pond, it is not necessary. Many hobby duck keepers use those plastic kiddie pools which provides much enjoyment for the ducks.

We raised duck when I apwas skid and ducks are not as easy to get to Lay eggs in a nesting box where they can either harvested or protected, at least that is. The way I remember it if I'm wrong he'll wouldn't be the first time but truly duck( my freakin spellcheck just turned that duck into Dukakis( for you young people he thought he could be president( for you older folk..talk about a name you have not heard in a while))) is some good eating definitely fattier than chicken but I don't know about being better scavagers than chicken either.

Don't eat the plastic kiddie pool.

Just saying.

Jeebus, I just about snorted coffee out my nose when I read that, thanks VIS! Also, excellent info about ducks, I grew up on a cattle and hog farm and had no clue about that.

Jeebus, I just about snorted coffee out my nose when I read that, thanks VIS! Also, excellent info about ducks, I grew up on a cattle and hog farm and had no clue about that.

Glad to be of assistance. It is O.K. to snort out, snorting in can be hazardous to your health. Not to mention your dry cleaning bill.

Guest kevin

i'd rather eat the pool.....jk....but duck is way down my list of meat.....just after raccoon .......but before skunk.....taste "organ-ish" to me....and i don't eat organs...beats starving tho....if you like it go for it....leaves more possum for me!

Guest survival101

Duck on or off the plate is a real treat. Best duck I ever tasted was in Emeril Lagasse's restaurant, "Enola," and it was smoked and prepared with a Jack Daniels type glaze, served with cornbread stuffing. It was "to die for."

Guest survival101

Ok, but what about Guinea Fowl? I'm not going to hijack the thread, I'll move that question over.

Ask me about ducks in a few months. We got ten ducklings three weeks ago to keep the bugs down and for their eggs. We ordered Indian Runners and they don't need a pond or pool. They are just tooo cute. Think Daffy Duck. They stand upright and run around like roadrunners. They are about a foot tall now and are settling in real well.

We also have 9 surprise roosters. They use them as packing material and you can do what you want with them. We are going to try and keep them for 12weeks and then eat them. There was one roster fatality but the ducks are doing great.

The best livestock is one of the breeds of goat that has longer hair. They provide milk, meat and wool and are browsers rather than grazers. That means that they don't eat just grass...hell they will eat anything. In West Texas they singer the thorns off of cactus and they eat them. They will even peal the bark off trees if there is nothing better.

i'd rather eat the pool.....jk....but duck is way down my list of meat.....just after raccoon .......but before skunk.....taste "organ-ish" to me....and i don't eat organs...beats starving tho....if you like it go for it....leaves more possum for me!

Rather eat the pool? Kevin, I am concerned about your diet. I can understand why you do not eat organs. The keys are made of plastic. But, when you pass gas you can play several musical notes. Talk to Snake, he can tell you how to cook anything and make it taste good.

I don't feel like being serious, just ignore me.

Duck is 'gamey', and can be greasy as hell, but only if it's not cooked properly.

If done right it's awesome, for example duck fajitas kick ass.

vis9

is a sleeper just when you think the light's not on BAM in your face LOL

the perfect dark meat is pigeon plentiful under overpasses and free do not have to feed them

and are easy to nail at night.

If you ever heard the saying sh*t like a wild duck that kiddie poll needs to be cleaned all the time.

because that brown cloud that come out their azz is not rocket propulsion.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

vis9

is a sleeper just when you think the light's not on BAM in your face LOL

the perfect dark meat is pigeon plentiful under overpasses and free do not have to feed them

and are easy to nail at night.

If you ever heard the saying sh*t like a wild duck that kiddie poll needs to be cleaned all the time.

because that brown cloud that come out their azz is not rocket propulsion.

Pigeons??? I thought those things were getto chickens. Of course, in polite society they are Squab.

O.K. Snake, how do you cook these wonderful birds?

C'mon snake, cough up the squab recipes, or we will have to hoity-toity it over to the Food Network. I have resisted the thought of "harvesting" pigeons, but if caught in a large me to area, I'm sire they would be delicious.(better than flying-rats!)

seagulls for you landlocked knaves.

Malcom,

If you must harvest Pigeons, you must first obtain a license from the Urban Outdoorsman who is in adverse possession of the particular bridge you are under. License can run from a few cents to "Gimmie all your cash".

Squab is just like Cornish game hen

all dark meat though so treat it like chicken same spices and has a good taste they are part of the

dove family in fact if you did not tell anyone they would be hard pressed to tell.

we use to breast them out no bones separate the skin slip in some butter salt pepper and and

dredge in flour cook in some olive oil. on medium takes about 20 minutes depending on the

thickness of the breasts.

you can put them in any recipe that calls for dark meat chicken.

like with rice and mushroom sauce

with dumplings

wrapped in bacon my favorite with a jalapeno in it.

beat flat into a patty and chicken fried with gravy on a biscuit or a bun

served with greens and beans.

Damn you snake you went and made me hungry! My uncle used to do the quail breasts with the bacon and jalapeño.......ooooh so good......get in my belly!

Just read a story in one of the major hunting mags can't remember which one about hunting winged rats, this guy was a guide (as if you need a guide to find pigeons) who had a arrangement with some dairy farmers to hunt their feedlots, they would use coffin blinds and get hundreds (not a game bird no limit) had pigeon not bad at all, and yes you are right just big doves.