Sign in to follow this  
TheDefaultHuman

Micro-Farming, make your own Ecosystem! Cheap, Small, New!

I think this deserves a new start up thread,

Learn it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaponics

Buy it/Learn More: http://www.friendlyaquaponics.com/

More INFO: http://diyaquaponics.com/aqua.php

This is ultimate for survival, and you may have seen it already, basically its a mini ecosystem where it is mostly recycling and reusing for maximum food. Involves usually fish eating bugs, there poop fertilizing the water that grows the plants which you eat, you can either feed the fish yourself, feed them whatever plant your growing, or feed them bugs, which you can grow or are natural. Some people include birds into the mix.

I am planning on starting up my own one somewhere even with limited space and money, I bet I could set it up for under $20, not including seeds and fish/animals. I'll update you on this.

The "kits" online cost a lot.

What are your thoughts?

(Here's another website for information)

http://www.velacreations.com/aquaponics.html

Thanks for the links! I was starting to get bummed about how much it would cost to buy deer fence enclose a garden at the BOL (answer: at least two AR-15's worth!). I've also thought about hydroponics, but getting the nutrients in a long-term SHTF didn't seem like a viable alternative. The aquaponics alternative appears to be a good solution.

Good luck...

your in new Hampshire not Hawii...think COLD Weather???

Hydro has been used for over 20 years..the plastic needed is the cost effect part that kills it..and the constant use of water pumps and adding minerales to the water a constant flow is needed..

Photo what you do and please keep us posted...

Good luck...

your in new Hampshire not Hawii...think COLD Weather???

Hydro has been used for over 20 years..the plastic needed is the cost effect part that kills it..and the constant use of water pumps and adding minerales to the water a constant flow is needed..

Photo what you do and please keep us posted...

Its way better with a real pond, but I'm going to do this.

I mean, most systems for Aquaponics cost around $1,000 from what I have seen.

But I guess that is a worthwhile investment, it's like a mini farm.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Aquaponics, DefaultHuman. I'll save for a system now.

Thanks for the links! I was starting to get bummed about how much it would cost to buy deer fence enclose a garden at the BOL (answer: at least two AR-15's worth!). I've also thought about hydroponics, but getting the nutrients in a long-term SHTF didn't seem like a viable alternative. The aquaponics alternative appears to be a good solution.

under 100 yards 22 long rifle in the ear hole or just above the eyes no problem deer good ugg

game wardens don't like this but my garden is mine.

You may want to look at these pictures. I have read of control with a off-set three strand electric fence.... there are several designs that use angled design and dual fence to create a zone of defense that the deer do not understand how to cross. For most of us it would be too costly to install high wire fences but the fence in depth concept confuses the deer....I beleave it makes them afraid that they will become intangled if they attempt to cross.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Gallagher+deer+fencing&id=A56A45540682BCBAA774E76847ADA988719C4FB5&FORM=IQFRBA

Another thing to think about would be to have a timed feeder and minerals at a location closer to water that the deer could use before the hunting season came in....as many states do not allow baiting during their hunting season. This would allow the food plot/ garden to grow and produce during the spring and summer months.

Much of the success of this project will depend on the number of deer in the area and may require additional deterents such as barbershop clippings and spreading horse manure as part of your fertilizer program.