Sign in to follow this  
Guest kevin

duct tape question

Guest kevin

time for me to pick the collective brain. the other day me and the family did a mock bug out. during this practice i used a bit of duct tape to patch a busted seam in my gloves. when i got the first swath from my bob the canvas part of the tape was so weak that it would rip into tiny little pieces rather than the sticky part letting go. luckily i had another brand in a different part of the bag and it worked well....not a big deal patching a glove , but i like the things i buy to work when needed. it could have been to dress a wound or another important task. the cheap stuff that didn't work was from harbor freight. the good tape was made by 3 m....i know, i know "you get what you pay for". but it still lead to my question......whats the end all be all duct tape brand?

I would be a little scared to use the gorilla tape on a wound thru that stuff doesnt let go, used it to replace a rear window in a ford E350 at work my "temporary fix" lasted 4 years in Detroit! With the cheap stuff my experience is the separation issue is heat related, like the glue bakes to the next layer

Never heard of Gorilla tape, but we used to use Ammo tape to tape down arming wires and various similar items that were going to be hung from the wings of planes...figure the speed a plane has to fly and then condsider that the tape would hold at that speed.

Also used a fair amount of Gaffers tape.

My Dad was an airline pilot. One day he brought home some rolled up aluminum that he called 500 mph tape. Said mechanics used it to patch the airplane skin until a real repair could be made. Never found out if he was pulling my leg or not, but that stuff will hold onto whatever it touches (excelt itself, which is confusing).

My Dad was an airline pilot. One day he brought home some rolled up aluminum that he called 500 mph tape. Said mechanics used it to patch the airplane skin until a real repair could be made. Never found out if he was pulling my leg or not, but that stuff will hold onto whatever it touches (excelt itself, which is confusing).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_tape

Turns out he may've not been bluffing after all!

I gotta find taht stuff now!

air condition supply houses have it I got 6 rolls 6 inches wide has a white backer cut off what you need its aluminum heavy foil but its good stuff

and pull of backer get it right because when it touches its stuck.

I doubt it is as good as mil speck but it is pretty darn useful

I like all the 3M duct tapes and specialty and electrical it seems expensive but it is alway

more durable and resists weathering better than no name stuff

Edited by juzcallmesnake

Would Gorilla take work for fixing a cracked dashboard in las Vegas?

Silly question but my buddy asked me last night about it and I had no clue.

He's gonna put a padded cover over it but wants to hold it together underneath.

And I'm also curious about it's abilities while wet.

There is a product on T. V. which is a spray on rubber sealant. It seems to do well on leaks and if you cover that with duct tape that should stop anything. Although, I have not have had the chance to try it as of yet. (Working too many hours).

Would Gorilla take work for fixing a cracked dashboard in las Vegas?

Silly question but my buddy asked me last night about it and I had no clue.

He's gonna put a padded cover over it but wants to hold it together underneath.

And I'm also curious about it's abilities while wet.

Yes it will work on the dashboard.

As far as working wet, When my dogs got out and i went to hang flyers earlier this year, it was nice and foggy out, making all the poles pretty damp. i had a hard time getting it to stick to metal poles, but a quick wipe with my sleeve did the job. That was back in february and i think theres still probably some tape strips attached to some of the poles

There is a product on T. V. which is a spray on rubber sealant. It seems to do well on leaks and if you cover that with duct tape that should stop anything. Although, I have not have had the chance to try it as of yet. (Working too many hours).

Save your money... That stuff is $20 a can buy the time you consider one for free + additional shipping and handling. It is EXACTLY the same thing as rubberized undercoating for cars. Available ant any autozone, pepboys, o'reilies, or where ever for about $7 a can... Same stuff...

Also, please notice the boat that is "dry after a day on the water" has a large pool of water in the floor behind his left knee... Look for it the lext time the commercial comes on...

Pretty sure that spray stuff is not undercoat. I've used undercoat extensively and it won't seal a damn thing. This stuff looks like spray on gutter sealant that I buy at lowes for way less than 20$ per can. Works well but I've never had the desire to build a Jon boat out of a screen door so I can't comment that, haha.