Sign in to follow this  
Schoeny

Plain old good fantasy!

John Ringo's "Posleen War" and "Looking Glass" series are enjoyable. Then there is alternate history with Harry Turtledove's "WordWar" series is excellent. Aliens invade in the middle of WWII.

My longest running favorite is "Honor Harrington" by David Weber.

Cut my teeth (literally- I think I was that age when I started :P) on Heinlein and Asimov.

Rod,

I've read several Honor Harrington stories and they are worthy. I'd forgotten about that series.

You know there are a lot of people here reading sciFi, western and horror books. I wonder if reading creative books makes it easier for us to accept the possibilities of SHTF and TEOTWAWKI?

To read this stuff requires the mind to fill in all the background. I KNOW what the control station of the Space Patrol Cruiser 'Polaris' looks like because I read all the "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet" stuff. Funny how it can lead to other stuff; I'm reading 'Plutach's Lives' again because of L'Amour's mention of them.

One fantasy that I forgot and that DOES play by the rules is the stuff by Terry Pratchett - the Disc World series is GREAT. Again, suspend a few beliefs and all else follows. OK, a turtle carrying 4 elephants carrying the disc world through the void of space is a bit of a LARGE assumption but they are greatly entertaining stories. They need to be read aloud because many of the puns are audio puns that are not obvious if read but not heard.

post-6-13851497947826_thumb.jpg

I've really gotten into a series of books by Heather Graham. They are all a good combination of ghost story and crime procedural, lots of suspense and romance and southern history all rolled up into a real page-turner. I've read six of the eight books so far, and will probably finish the rest soon!

Here they are, in order:

Haunted

Ghost Walk

The Vision

The Dead Room

The Seance

The Death Dealer

Unhallowed Ground

The Nightwalker

They are often referred to as the "Harrison Investigation series" because there's a group of paranormal investigators who make recurring appearances in the books, and they do build on each other somewhat. But they also function as stand-alone stories and mostly focus on a woman and a man who find themselves dealing with unexplained phenomena, a strong attraction, and real-life danger. The paranormal/ghost part is why I thought to recommend them here, although they probably aren't "true" fantasy the way some of the other books mentioned in this thread are.

I just read Patricia Briggs new fantasy Fair Game and I think these books are getting better as the series progresses. Even though these books were clearly started as a sort of back-up series to the Mercedes Thompson books, I think the stories of Charles and Anna are beginning to move more into the center stage. If you have been following this author, you have to read this book. Without giving spoilers, the ending results in significant changes to the landscape of the world Mrs. Briggs has created.

Guys, I don't know if they are still up, but I pickecd up the first 5 books in the Gray Spear Society by Alex Siegel for free on Kindle. These are full length novels and are urban fantasy of the dark sort. The story follows the adventures of a global organization that does God's dirty work for Him and protects the human race from supernatural influence or control. A couple of the books are a little much, but if you like action, mayhem and more than a little Old Testament action in the modern world, check these out.

This is not fantasy but good old fashioned space opera science fiction by Randolph Lalonde called Spinward Flinge. He offers the first book for free on Kindle, like any good crack dealer, "the first hit is free". I am now on book 5 in what looks to be an 8 book series. Gritty action and crazy situations as a ragtag group of rebels...really, it is not Star Wars. Some of our good guys are really bad men, bad enough to make Han Solo pick another line of work. Anyway, I wanted to pass on some good, mindless entertainment.

I've written about this elsewhere but this is probably the right place to discuss it for once. If you like fantasy with magic and knights and such, try out the Young Ancients series from P.S. Power on Kindle. Up to seven books in that series right now and I think they are getting better as the author matures. He is a writing machine and also has an urban fantasy series (set sort of in our world but with vampires, demons, and mages mostly existing in secret) with about three books and a Christmas novella with his heroine, Keeley Thompson. I'm not the author and I get no kickbacks, but I do love the books and I try to spread the word where I can. He also has a "superhero" series called "The Infected" with some serious fantasy elements as well as a completed four book zombie-ish series entitled "Dead End". Finally, he is about to release book three in the Gwen Farris series (probably out before Christmas), which is a steampunkish fantasy series set in an alternate world. If you like fantasy, give this guy a try.

Okay I went back and read the main theme so I can stay on topic now like a good guy.

Books............Loved the first ten of Patricia Cornwell for forensic data and profiling.

Loved John Sanford "Prey" novels....................can you tell I like detective work?

Give me a Patterson novel anytime! Alex Cross mostly from start to finish................(Kiss the Girls) etc

Cool, t2940. Have you tried any of the fantasy "mysteries"? Dresden Files for example, in the early books is about a wizard who is more Raymond Chandler than Harry Potter. Also, Patricia Briggs can write some pretty good crime solving books, just invovling werewolves, vampires, and fairies (and not the pixie dust Disney fairies, either). Off topic, I enjoy an Australian writer named Lindsey who has written some very good books about an ex-cop turned bodyguard named Ben Hood who leaves a body count that would make Jack Reacher blush from the overkill.