Sign in to follow this  
Schoeny

Plain old good fantasy!

I just wanted to start a thread where people could post thier favorite series and authors. Im sure Im not the only one who hates buying a new book only to find that it is supremely sucky!

1- Jim Butcher, -excellent- entertaining author. I have not read a single one of his books that I didnt think was both funny and just plain old fun. He has two series out that I am aware of. The first is the Dresden Files, about a wizard in modern day Chicago. Very smartass main charachter who is always mouthing off and getting his butt kicked, but who wins in the end. The second series is the Codex Alera, not as funny as the other series, but still has a lot of humor. Follows a young boy on the continent Alera, whos people can bond with elementals of earth, fire, water, etc. The books have a distinctly Roman overtone, and it seems like the humans were somehow started by a transplanted Roman legion.

2-Robin Hobb, another great author. She has about 5 separate trilogys out, The dragon, fool, ship, and assasin trilogys are all excellent. However she does have one trilogy out that I thought was terrible... and I cant remember the name of it. Ill have to do some digging and find out the name of it. But other than that, all of her other books are excellent.

Ill add more as I can think of them, running short on time now, gotta go frisbee golf and grill out with friends!

-edit to add- The Robin Hobb trilogy I could not get into was the Soldiers Son trilogy.

Edited by Schoeny

Guest kevin

i have tons i love.....orson scott card is among my favorite(any of his are good)....j r r tolken (rings/hobbit)...frank herbert(dune)....anne rice(first three interview with a vamp....after that they suck, but the first three are good).....lewis lamar(sacketts ...among dozens of others)...and i can,t remember the guys name who wrote these (master sniper...dirty white boys) but they based the movie "Shooter" with mark walberg on his stuff(as always the books are better....cept dracula, that book was TERRIBLE but the movie i liked(the one with gary oldman as drack).

my favorite writers are Mathew Mark Luke and John and all the others in the good book it has all the

juicy stuff murder, incest, spy's. hero's, kings. queens courtly power plays winners looser's

the good the bad and the ugly danger and excitement family feuds and glorious events

that rival any novel today even Dallas or any other T.V. shows because it also has demons and sorcerers

witches and angles monsters and creatures unfathomable to the mind of man.

there is even a coded subtext not the other code book that said Jesus did not die they have

debunked that book numerous times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_code

you can read it a hundred times and learn something new each time or be convicted of your sins or

called to move and do something for humanity it is not a book to be taken lightly that is why people

are afraid to read it and choose to quote false analogies and detraction's as to it validity.

I have never found it to be so, and should be one of the many books in your archive

I also advise people to catch Perry Stone on his web site and watch his program it is

a great source of information...and a teaching tool for us {me included} as there are

many nuances in Greek and many languages as well as the mind of ancient peoples.

a better use of ones time than reading fiction and if you don't believe it's the best

"FICTIONAL" book ever written problem is science and archaeology keep proving it out LOL

in the immortal words of my generation "try it you'll like it"

Edited by juzcallmesnake

Guest kevin

as always .....i defer to snake....can't argue with a man when he's right......not fantasy tho.

Theft of Swords by Mark Sullivan (not sure about his first name) is a really cool fantasy and the first in a three book trilogy. I saw it recommended on Amazon and I ordered all three, and read all in a week. Rolicking good time and interesting how the author develops his characters, who are thieves and soldiers of fortune. Some of the twists you could predict, but others I dare you to say you saw them coming. I highly recommend this series, guys.

Love the Dresden Files - he's one of my all-time favorite characters, innately good but really prone to messing things up on a grand scale. Plus he's hilarious, especially in contrast to the others in the series.

I also second the recommendation for Orson Scott Card, JRR Tolkien, and Anne Rice. That said, my tastes run more toward urban fantasy/paranormal romance, so vampires and shapeshifters, fairies and witches, are more my thing than hobbits, trolls, and aliens. But there are a LOT of good options out there if you are interested (and it helps if you aren't put off by gratuitous sex and cussing!).

I adore the books that the True Blood series is based on, usually referred to as either the "Sookie Stackhouse" or "Southern Vampire" novels by Charlaine Harris, starting with Dead Until Dark. They are completely engrossing, a fairly original take on vampire mythology (now much-mimicked), funny, sexy, violent, weird, and surprisingly thought-provoking. She does a great job of writing rich lives for ALL of the books' characters, so you really feel like you know everyone involved, and it's easy to both love and hate many of them as a result. It's also very different from True Blood in terms of plot and character development, so if you're a fan of the show, beware!

Have to recommend the Lords of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter. It's a completely unique mythology that she created, at least as far as I can tell. The Lords of the Underworld refers to demons who possess all of the characteristics that bring misery on the world (wrath, promiscuity, lies, secrets, etc.). For the protection of humanity, they were trapped in Pandora's box... which some arrogant immortal warriors thought THEY could do a better job protecting than Pandora could. To prove it, they stole and opened the box, unleashing the demons on the world; as punishment, Zeus sent the warriors to earth and bound the demons to each of them. The warriors now dedicate their lives to trying to atone for what they've done, struggle to keep their demon sides contained, and fight against the hunters who seek to separate them from their demons, not realizing that could create hell on earth.

Richelle Mead, best known for her young adult "Vampire Diaries" series, wrote a very interesting and cool six-part series for adults. It's the Georgina Kincaid series, and starts with Succubus Blues. The main character is a succubus whose job is to tarnish people's souls and nibble at their essence so that they can quickly become denizens of hell... since her boss is a demon who has a quotas to meet. It makes dating awfully difficult, since any good man she finds, she can't sleep with - and she does have to sleep with a lot of bad men for her job! Set in Seattle, it's a really interesting look at what good and evil are, and whether someone who is bad deserves a "happily ever after."

The Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews is also really interesting, starting with Magic Bites. Kate is a magical enforcer, a mercenary whose job it is to clean up after magic and supernatural forces engage in illegal acts. Her guardian is killed, and her quest for answers (and maybe vengeance) puts her into the middle of a power struggle between a group of necromancers who control vampires and the Pack, a bunch of military-like shapeshifters. She also begins to learn more about herself and the powers she might possess. The world building here is really fascinating - it takes place in Atlanta, but it's an Atlanta that is ravaged after a cataclysmic event that brings magic back into the world, but in an unstable way. When magic is in flux, nothing with technology works and the supernatural creatures are at their best (or worst), but it ebbs and flows unpredictably, so sometimes your gun fires and your car can be driven. Other times, you need a horse and a sword.

I'd also recommend:

The "fever" series by Karen Marie Moning (first book: DarkFever)

The first few books of the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton (first book: Guilty Pleasures)

Also by Laurell K. Hamilton - the Merry Gentry series (first book: A Kiss of Shadows)

The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs (first book: Moon Called)

The Hollows series by Kim Harrison (first book: Dead Witch Walking)

Vampire series that are somewhat similar but interesting:

The Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon

The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward

The Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian

The Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost

The Chicagoland Vampires series by Chloe Neill

Edited by oregonchick
fixed typo!

Dang! Forgot to recommend three other series, which I have read and reread because I find them so funny:

Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole - *completely* hilarious series (starting with A Hunger Like No Other) about all sorts of supernatural and mythological beings and the utter chaos and slapstick violence that ensues when they cross paths. Of course there are the usual vampires, werewolves, and witches involved, bu t there are also demigods, demons, all manner of nasty little creatures, and last but not least, the Valkyries. Each "species" is convinced it's the best one, and even in the midst of really high stakes situations, they can't resist being completely insulting and condescending to each other, as well as playing all sorts of vicious (and often violent) pranks on their rivals. I literally laugh out loud while reading these books.

Any shapeshifter books by Shelly Laurenston; my favorites are the three books of the Magnus Pack series, starting with Pack Challenge, but they are all very funny and involve an overlapping set of characters who are wolf, tiger, lion, bear, and other forms of shapeshifter. In these series, the women tend to be flat-out crazy, the men have no idea how to handle them, and the results are hilarious.

G.A. Aiken's Dragon Kin series is uproarious. It's set in a medieval world where there are, yes, dragons and wizards. But more than that, the dragons can shift and pass as human - should they deign to be around the troublesome creatures. The dragons in the series - starting with The Dragon Who Loved Me - belong to big clans who live for the chance to go into battle, are loyal to a fault, and show affection through teasing and occasional maiming. Readers who like swordplay and archery are definitely in luck, although there's usually a fair amount of distinctly unfriendly fire happening alongside it. And the first heroine of the series, Annwyl the Bloody, embodies every crazy, violent, smart, and tenacious impulse, and for some reason, you love her for it (and love seeing her pop up throughout the rest of the series).

Edited by oregonchick
stupid formatting!

Art Linkletter's non fiction but funnest thing for any bug in

Kids Say the Darndest Things.

LORD OF THE FLIES

by William Golding

HEART OF DARKNESS

by Joseph Conrad

The Late, Great Planet Earth

Hal Lindsey,

Nightfall

Isaac Asimov

THE COMPLETE MYSTERY NOVELS OF AGATHA CHRISTIE

The Complete Sherlock Holmes

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Dashiell Hammett Complete Novels:

Red Harvest, The Dain Curse, The Maltese Falcon, The Glass Key, and The Thin Man

Raymond Chandler

Collected Stories (Everyman's Library)

Wilbur Smith

The dark of the sun

Jack Schaefer

Shane

Kevin, the author you are thinking of is Stephen Hunter and he is a heck of a writer. Orgegonchick, I am a huge fan of Stephen Butcher and his fantasy series is top shelf, too. I also read everything Ilona Andrews writes (funny, this is a husband and wife writing team that rocks), as well as Patricia Briggs.

Snake, this list you provided should be required reading in all our schools, but unfortunately the school boards are too busy trying to plan for bilingual education to worry about the things their kids are reading.

Devildog, no arguments. If I had to commit to paper my all-time top 10 sci-fi/fantasy list, he'd probably easily have 4 slots nailed down. A lot of authors out there today are just retelling stories RAH wrote 40 years ago. Only other Grand Old Master in his league would be Asimov, and he wrote more for the head, while Heinlein went for the heart/gut. I still routinely read Glory Road, Starship Troopers, Farnham's Freehold and Friday at least once per year.

Kevin, the author you are thinking of is Stephen Hunter and he is a heck of a writer. Orgegonchick, I am a huge fan of Stephen Butcher and his fantasy series is top shelf, too. I also read everything Ilona Andrews writes (funny, this is a husband and wife writing team that rocks), as well as Patricia Briggs.

Snake, this list you provided should be required reading in all our schools, but unfortunately the school boards are too busy trying to plan for bilingual education to worry about the things their kids are reading.

Texas Bill

yea it's too bad that the good stuff is not even remembered anymore but I am an old head.

and I cannot say I have read much I have been too busy in the last 20 years reading work related

information to have much relaxation reading I am deep into some other research and while I am on

the net having SC page open and popping back and forth ain't to big a deal and on site work has

been slow.

I do not need it so if something falls on me and twists my arm maybe if I do not have to be there

now well depends on the long green.

Guest kevin

hey chick...i liked true blood too...tell they started laying on the gay crap so thick. but if you like it check out being human(sci-fi monday...the american version,never seen the uk one)) i like it just as well if not better.

one guy i forgot to mention before is dean koontz....most of his stuff is average at best but his" seize the night/fear nothing" story is really good

i'm terrible with authors names but my all time favorite book is "the cowboys".....JOHN WAYNE made a movie out of it, i love the movie(yes i'm a fan of THE DUKE....deal with it)....but the book is much darker and bloody as hell.

p.s. not only the Duke but Carry Grant and Dean Martin too......may seem corny to some, but if those three were still around maybe George -never made a good movie in his life- Cloony wouldn't be the cool guy....i don't get it .that guy is a dork....maybe handsome, i'm not a good judge of that....but dorky as hell.

Another good new author with 3 books out, and more on the way is Kevin Hearne. The Iron Druid Chronicles. *Somewhat* similar to the Dresden Files in tone, set in modern day Arizona. If your a fan of Dresden I would highly recommend this author/series.

Devildog, no arguments. If I had to commit to paper my all-time top 10 sci-fi/fantasy list, he'd probably easily have 4 slots nailed down. A lot of authors out there today are just retelling stories RAH wrote 40 years ago. Only other Grand Old Master in his league would be Asimov, and he wrote more for the head, while Heinlein went for the heart/gut. I still routinely read Glory Road, Starship Troopers, Farnham's Freehold and Friday at least once per year.

If I had the space, I would include all his stuff in my preps. Great to hear from another reader with excellent taste. I also re-read most of his books quite often. Farnham's Freehold is pretty much an early prepper fiction, with some good tips. But mostly FUN.

I just checked on Baen.com and I did not find any free Heinlein, but I did find free David Weber, John Ringo, Fred Saberhagen, Michael Z. Williamson, and a host of others. Over a hundred free books, all transferable to your Kindle via USB link. I'm just sayin'...free stuff.

Guest kevin
Robert Heinlein. The Best. No Arguments.

he wrote what "star ship troopers" was based on didnt he dog? i haven't read him yet.......but based on the movie(yeah i know.....don't judge the book by the movie) which i actually liked. i still like john steaklys book "armor better....both are some what alike in that armor clad humans battle other worldly "bugs".

To my knowledge, John Steakly wrote two books, both classics. One is the aformentioned Armor and his equally good Vampire$. If you have not read Starship Troopers yet, read that book immediately. He wrote this in 1959 as the last of his "juveniles" fo Scribner but the publisher turned it down as too controversial. Their loss. Probably one of my all-time favorite books since I first read it at 10years of age.

he wrote what "star ship troopers" was based on didnt he dog? i haven't read him yet.......but based on the movie(yeah i know.....don't judge the book by the movie) which i actually liked. i still like john steaklys book "armor better....both are some what alike in that armor clad humans battle other worldly "bugs".

Kevin,

you haven't read Heinlein????? Oh, the horror of it! Yep, Star Ship Troopers (the book, not the movie) was part and parcel of why I enlisted in the army! A solid insight of a citizen's duty. Another, perhaps his best, was 'The Past Through Future History'. He went a little far afield with everything after 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' but came back solid in 'Friday'.

I like Asimov as well. 'Night Fall' and all of his Dr. Urth stories plus the classic Foundation Trilogy (why I studied Math and history and why Pournelle says he studied Psych and Math), E.E. 'Doc' Smith wrote marvelous "bang, bang, shoot-em-up" sci fi - loved the Lensmen series. A place where I learned to hate a lie! Clark wrote solid, science based sci fi. Bradbury may have been among the first of the 'modern' science fiction writers and I read his stuff growing up.

Current writers - Pournelle, Niven are without peer. I guess I'm not much of a fantasy reader because it seems out of place. With exceptions (Tolkien for example) I find most of it doesn't play by any rules. Good fiction should ask no more than one or two 'suspensions of belief' and then it must follow from there. Magic has never had any appeal for me - although Clark's Third law applies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke%27s_three_laws .

Guess I'm a curmudgeon but I just don't see the same caliber of writer coming up any more. Maybe they were never as numerous as I thought but I don't see anyone following on to Pournelle and Niven.

Guest kevin

third law?....that like the wizards first rule?.....look into orson scott card ....for the new guys he is good.

i hate to admit this guys but i haven't read in 10 years......from around 1000 pages a week to 0 .... i used to read for 5 to 8 hours a day....didn't watch tv or play on the puter, just read, worked and hunted.....then i fell for my wife(after 11 years of being a member of the he-man woman haters club)..whirlwind romance...marriage/kid in the first year...but i'm about to start back on the reading....gonna start with heinlien.....if i never login again you know it took.

John Ringo's "Posleen War" and "Looking Glass" series are enjoyable. Then there is alternate history with Harry Turtledove's "WordWar" series is excellent. Aliens invade in the middle of WWII.

My longest running favorite is "Honor Harrington" by David Weber.

Cut my teeth (literally- I think I was that age when I started :P) on Heinlein and Asimov.

You know there are a lot of people here reading sciFi, western and horror books. I wonder if reading creative books makes it easier for us to accept the possibilities of SHTF and TEOTWAWKI? :confused:

In no particular order...

I liked most of Louis L'Amour's storys.

John Steakly...Armor

Heinlien....most of his

Robert E. Howard...the origional Conan series

Steven Brust...the Vlad Taltos series

David Weber....most of his

John Ringo......most of his

Robert Lynn Aspin...the Myth Adventure seris

Edger Rice Burroughs...most of his

You know there are a lot of people here reading sciFi, western and horror books. I wonder if reading creative books makes it easier for us to accept the possibilities of SHTF and TEOTWAWKI? :confused:

I kind of think that it makes it easier for us to visualize a world that is very unlike the one we currently live in. For people who don't get sci-fi and fantasy, they may simply be too mired in the here-and-now to be able to think beyond, "But I can just run to Wal-Mart and..." or "But wouldn't the police handle that?"

For those of us who can practically feel the spaceship around us or whatever, it's easier to project ourselves into a future what-if scenario. What if a pandemic broke out and X% of the population died off in a matter of days or weeks? What if solar flares caused an EMP-like event that basically took down anything electrical in the northern hemisphere? What if the financial system fails, hyperinflation takes over, and everything kind of goes to H-E-double hockey sticks? What if a series of natural disasters (or one major disaster) hits my region? ... and so on.

Without the imagination and the willingness to let go of the things that tether us to our everyday lives, we wouldn't have very realistic answers for those kinds of questions. And that would make us like a LOT of our fellow citizens, unfortunately.