Sign in to follow this  
murjd17

Antibiotics, antiseptics, etc.

I am allergic to Penicillin, ever since I was young I was always told if I took some my throat would swell up and I would suffocate (not a very pleasant idea I know). Furthermore a few years back I was given an antibiotic called cephalosporin and that went well for a few days but then I developed hives (that sucked) that went away once I stopped taking the drug. So basically I am concerned about using random antibiotic medicines. And since penicillin is made from certain molds I am also curious as to how wise it would be for me to try different homeopathic methods in TEOTWAWKI

I am allergic to Penicillin, ever since I was young I was always told if I took some my throat would swell up and I would suffocate (not a very pleasant idea I know). Furthermore a few years back I was given an antibiotic called cephalosporin and that went well for a few days but then I developed hives (that sucked) that went away once I stopped taking the drug. So basically I am concerned about using random antibiotic medicines. And since penicillin is made from certain molds I am also curious as to how wise it would be for me to try different homeopathic methods in TEOTWAWKI

stew, go get another alergy test done for the Penicillin.

people out grow this allergicness all the time, as well as other childhood type reactions.

its worth looking into bro. Penicillin is a very popular drug and will be in serious demand

when SHTF. folks will have it and be willing and dealing with it too.

Penicillins and cephalosporins (btw - that's a whole classification of antibiotics. Most commonly used is Keflex/cephalexin) are close cousins. Generally speaking, if you're allergic to one there's a good chance you're going to react to the other. I'm a little surprised that you were prescribed the cephalosporin if they knew about your allergy to penicillin (as a nurse, that's an order I'm supposed to question when I see it). Make sure you talk to the Dr. about it next time. There's many other options that should work well.

Someone else mentioned the cranberrys. Cranberry helps change the pH of your urine to make it more acidic. This makes it more difficult for bacteria (like e. coli) to attach the the lining of your urinary tract. As long as you're staying well hydrated, the bacteria should be "flushed." The cranberry won't help you much if you're not staying hydrated. There are other options but cranberry is always the first (and least invasive / drastic) step I suggest to people who have frequent UTI's or Kidney infections. IT IS NOT A CURE but it is very helpful in PREVENTION.

hi all

a couple of other items i have used with good success besides vinegar,is food grade hydrogen peroxide.it's 8%,where the brown drug store is 3%.the food grade is clear,but with it being 8% you need to add distilled water.you can use it to sterilize water.uses include oxidant,solvent,antiseptic,water disinfectant,cleaner, laundry,foliar spray for plants & produce wash,to name some uses.it was used in the 18's with great success as we came into the 19's the pharma people got it banned,towhich it was till just lately.another one that had good success was with the romans they gave there soldiers silver canteens. at first i thought the silver being of high value was the cause,but looking into it further,seen why.they would put 50% water,50% wine the wine would dislove particles of silver(natural antiseptic).today people use batteries to do the same thing,but sometimes take to much silver,and they turn blue.

Guest survival101

@Snake... my mom used that vaseline with carbolic acid (?) in it on us too, as kids. Now, we use "Bag Balm." I think it's a great antiseptic for a small wound, chafing or chapping. I have a tin of it, but I think I'll put up some in the medical kit. Thanks.

hi all

a couple of other items i have used with good success besides vinegar,is food grade hydrogen peroxide.it's 8%,where the brown drug store is 3%.the food grade is clear,but with it being 8% you need to add distilled water.you can use it to sterilize water.uses include oxidant,solvent,antiseptic,water disinfectant,cleaner, laundry,foliar spray for plants & produce wash,to name some uses.it was used in the 18's with great success as we came into the 19's the pharma people got it banned,towhich it was till just lately.another one that had good success was with the romans they gave there soldiers silver canteens. at first i thought the silver being of high value was the cause,but looking into it further,seen why.they would put 50% water,50% wine the wine would dislove particles of silver(natural antiseptic).today people use batteries to do the same thing,but sometimes take to much silver,and they turn blue.

Something to remember with hydrogen peroxide is that its a rather ineffective antiseptic. It is great for cleaning wounds and dissolving dried blood that's stuck to a bandage. If you're wanting to sterilize something you're better off using an alcohol (tools) or bleach (water- I would probably boil too). Betadine is my first go to for wound sterilization. I had to run an experiment in my microbiology class comparing the effectiveness of betadine, alcohol, regular soap, and hydrogen peroxide in killing off bacteria. Each was applied to a patch (2cm wide) that was then added to a cultured petri dish. The betadine and alcohol worked very well and killed off the cultured bacteria in the surrounding meduim out to an impressive radius. The soap was ineffective and the hydrogen peroxide was barely better (this result was consistent class wide - over 50 other students did the same experiment with similar results.). The other caution with the peroxide is that its oxidizing action causes hemolysis (breaks down the red blood cells) so you need to use it cautiously on a site with active bleeding.

Here's the wikipedia article (If you don't trust wiki, you can follow the citations to see the original research). It specifically addresses the antiseptic properties under the "Therapeutic Uses" heading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide#Therapeutic_use

Edited by murjd17

Something to remember with hydrogen peroxide is that its a rather ineffective antiseptic. It is great for cleaning wounds and dissolving dried blood that's stuck to a bandage. If you're wanting to sterilize something you're better off using an alcohol (tools) or bleach (water- I would probably boil too). Betadine is my first go to for wound sterilization. I had to run an experiment in my microbiology class comparing the effectiveness of betadine, alcohol, regular soap, and hydrogen peroxide in killing off bacteria. Each was applied to a patch (2cm wide) that was then added to a cultured petri dish. The betadine and alcohol worked very well and killed off the cultured bacteria in the surrounding meduim out to an impressive radius. The soap was ineffective and the hydrogen peroxide was barely better (this result was consistent class wide - over 50 other students did the same experiment with similar results.). The other caution with the peroxide is that its oxidizing action causes hemolysis (breaks down the red blood cells) so you need to use it cautiously on a site with active bleeding.

Here's the wikipedia article (If you don't trust wiki, you can follow the citations to see the original research). It specifically addresses the antiseptic properties under the "Therapeutic Uses" heading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide#Therapeutic_use

you must be talking about the non-food grade 3% peroixide,there is also a 6% beauticians use for coloring hair.but i'm talking about 8% food grade,if you used it without adding water it would eat holes in your skin.they have different levels of percentages such as 35,50 being 2 such.i use the 8% with great success.there are farmers using it on cows ,resulting in more milk production.chicken farmers didn't get more milk ,but they did improve egg production.in the late 18's,early 19's the us gov.was spending money on herb research.but then came w.w.1.all this research came to a quick halt.after the big 1 ended.pharma companies did there thing to stop the research,and get food grade hydrogen removed from the shelves.but the much higher grades of hydrogen peroxide had many uses.such as emergency oxygen in submarines,germans in ww2 used it in there fuel in the v-2 rockets,disinfect water,there's a lot more uses,but check out these places.as i've said i've used it for a while and know it does a lot more than you say.E.C.H.O. walter grotz-widely known as one of the premier progenitors of hydrogen peroxide applications.he has lectured worldwide on myriad benefits of h2o2.founder of E.C.H.O.news letter.reached @ ECHO pob 126 delano,mn 55328...dr.kurt w. donsbach pioneer in alternative medicine,can be reached @ (800)359-6547 ....dr charles h. farr,founder of bio-oxidative medicine,(800)235-4788...E.C.H.O. probly being the best place to find the best sorces of info.besides the internet.

@Snake... my mom used that vaseline with carbolic acid (?) in it on us too, as kids. Now, we use "Bag Balm." I think it's a great antiseptic for a small wound, chafing or chapping. I have a tin of it, but I think I'll put up some in the medical kit. Thanks.

yea I think we were test subjects sometimes like hey slap a little of this on it and see what happens.

and I just saw some and was going to get it and forgot now I have put it on the list

thanks survival101

@blacjac - I had to go back and read your post again. I assumed you were suggesting it as an antiseptic for wound cleansing which is why i said what i said (as you pointed out, concentrations strong enough to work as an antiseptic are also strong enough to do a lot of harm to your skin). You're right in saying that h2o2 has a lot of good other uses. Forgive me for jumping on that without reading your whole post.

life is tough without the wonders of medicines and medical procedures.

sulfur powder

Epsom salts

pure salt

peroxide

betadine

petrocarbo salve

some botanical oils camphor, cinnamon, peppermint, tea tree, oregano, eucalyptus, lavender

ginger is grated in a tea or other drink

coffee and tea for there caffeine it has been used as a poultice as tobacco.

alcohol like vodka gin ect can be used for antiseptics

brandy and a Japanese plum gekin are good for heavy chest or after getting damp

we are blessed to live in an age where medicine is so available when only 50 years ago most things were sulfur compounds or alcohol and codeine or morphine we have come a long way.

immodium is very important as well as cough syrup

irritated membranes attract / give infection a place to propagate.

gargling with salt water snorting a mild saltwater solution up your nose helps to resist infection and drain infection.

brown rice boiled with extra water drink the water from it and it can help with diarrhea IB syndrome

as well as an IB diet.

I have a 20 gallon tote of medications I buy them on sale and have got them from being out of date.

sometimes one will not work a friend swears by aleve for gout and says that tylenol does not work

so I have plenty of selection just in case.

fungicides as well that is another problem when cleanliness is difficult and washing of clothing is

not regular.

Ive been doing a good bit of research on different types of antibiotics lately. It didnt take long to sumble on the whole MRSA issue (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus). My wife is allergic to Penicillin (and such related antibiotics) so finding an effective source of Antibiotics suitable for her against MRSA is kinda troublesome.

But this issue made the think of something else we dbate here often enough...

If perhaps, some bleeding-hearts out there feel it neccessary to take in someone in need of help, into your BOL; Think about this... Beyond the intial Security assessment you may make of them, You may want to ask if any of them have been IN a hospital lately. Not just as a patient. Bringing MRSA into your BOL/group could be just as deadly. Properly diagnosing MRSA infections without a proper hospital/Physician would be extremely difficult. THen getting the proper antibiotics is a whole other issue. Bring someone into you BOL, after recently coming from a hospital, should require a type a DeCon bath before entry is permitted. Avoid these people like they have the plague.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004520/

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/understanding-mrsa-methicillin-resistant-staphylococcus-aureus

http://www.cdc.gov/mrsa/

Edited by NavyVet_77