Sign in to follow this  
murjd17

Antibiotics, antiseptics, etc.

If you look around the Internet at different suggestions for DIY medicine, you will see suggestions for everything under the sun. I've seen everything from fish antibiotics (how effective/safe for human use are these really?) to table sugar. If you had to pick your top 5 (each) antibiotics and antiseptics to have on hand in case the SHTF or worse, what would they be?

Hi murjd,

I'm the guy who wrote the original article about fish antibiotics that was published in survivalblog.com over a year ago (7/28/10). In my research, the products I recommended have one ingredient only, and that is the antibiotic itself. There are no other ingredients that make your scales shiny or give your feathers a lustrous sheen. The antibiotics are sold in human dosages, which makes me believe that they are taken from the same batches that are sent from the factory to the pharmacy. I have used some (not all) of these antibiotics myself with no ill effects. This is not meant to replace modern medical care, but is a strategy that will be helpful in SHTF situations.

I would have FISH-MOX FORTE, (Amoxicillin 500mg), which would treat many types of infections that would occur in cuts from doing things that we're not used to doing every day, like chopping wood. Doxycycline 100mg (BIRD-BIOTIC) or Metronidazole 250mg (FISH-ZOLE) would be useful to battle diarrheal disease from poorly filtered water. FISH-FLEX FORTE (Keflex 500mg) or FISH-CILLIN FORTE (Ampicillin 500mg) is useful for some respiratory infections. Cipro is another useful antibiotic, but I have not yet found it on sale without a prescription. Tamiflu is an anti-viral drug that will be useful to treat influenza, and may even be preventative. Most physicians will have no qualms about prescribing this as we are now entering flu season.

Betadine (Povidone-Iodine) Solution is an excellent antiseptic and is widely available. I would stock up. Sugar mixed with Betadine gives you Sugardyne, which is also useful, as is honey, which has multiple medical applications, especially for burns. Some Isopropyl Alcohol should also be in your supplies.

Dr. Bones

Edited by DrBonesNurseAmy

Great input. Thanks for the clarification on the antibiotics - makes a lot more sense now. How effective is vinegar as an antiseptic / cleanser? Obviously, the first things I would use are the more traditional antiseptics (betadine or hibiclens for example) but its always good to know the alternatives.

I've been skeptical of using sugar to treat wounds in the past. I understand how it works as a hypertonic to help keep the wound clean, but it can also be a potential food source / breeding ground for bacteria if you don't change it quickly enough. Using it to make sugardine, however, sounds like a better option. What amounts of betadine and sugar do you use?

Sanitary and Effective Household Cleaner and Deodorizer

Mix Apple Cider Vinegar and water in a spray bottle at a ratio of 2:5. Mist onto surfaces and allow activation for 3-5 minutes before wiping clean. Add ½ - 1 cup to toilet bowl and let soak for at least 30 minutes before scrubbing and flushing. Safe for septic systems.

Treats minor cuts, abrasions and sunburns:

Treat cuts and abrasions with a cotton ball soaked in Apple cider vinegar water solution in a ratio of 1:5. Treat sunburns with 1:10 ratio soak, spray or drenched cotton ball.

I think sugardyne is an excellent antimicrobial for open wounds;

as well as HONEY in a RAW UNPROCESSED form, because it is an inhospitable environment for bacteria and viruses (3.5-4.5pH).

The sugar/PI salve is also made commercially under the name of Sugardyne. It's basically a 66%-80% sugar, and 20%-33% Providone iodine (10%) salve used for wounds and thresh in horses. But, it's so easy to make, and so universal in application, that you can easily make up and store large batches yourself.

Here are a couple of links on Sugardyne/Sugardine:

http://www.horses-and-ponies.com/health/sugardine.shtml

http://www.medscape.com/druginfo/dosage?drugid=88600&drugname=Sugardyne+Top&monotype=default&cid=med

In the end, it depends on what you have on hand in an emergency. Honey is proven and terrific, if you have it. Sugar and betadine is also great. Tea tree oil and lavender essential oils are great antiseptics and antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial.

Having several options for wound and laceration treatment is your goal!

Dr.Bones and I are trying to put together a first aid kit with NATURAL remedies. Aloe vera, honey, crystallized lemon, essential oils, herbal teas:cool: and cayenne pepper with be part of this kit. We want your pharmacy to include NATURE!!

Thanks,

Nurse Amy

Edited by DrBonesNurseAmy

Hi Femvet,

You could consider using sulfamethioxazole/trimethoprim (brand names: Bactrim or Septra, veterinary equivalent Bird-Sulfa) at the lowest dose on a daily basis if the SHTF. It seems strange that your doctor wouldn't give you this or Macrodantin as a preventative, it's not that unusual a practice...

Dr. Bones

yes applecider vinegar (bragg)(being best).plus dandalion root.on vinegar you want to make sure it has what they call "mother".

yes bragg's is the best. thing is, ya gotta be careful. its said that vineager will kill the good and bad flora in the gut. bad flora grows at an alarming rate, thus out growing the good. when this happens yeast overgrowth can happen. if that takes place candida will/can form. if it does, good luck on getting any doctors

to admit that candida exists or is even a problem. most dont know how to treat it at all, muchless prevent it.

yes bragg's is the best. thing is, ya gotta be careful. its said that vineager will kill the good and bad flora in the gut. bad flora grows at an alarming rate, thus out growing the good. when this happens yeast overgrowth can happen. if that takes place candida will/can form. if it does, good luck on getting any doctors

to admit that candida exists or is even a problem. most dont know how to treat it at all, muchless prevent it.

according to herbilist i deal with vinegar with mother does not kill the good bacterial or emzyines. hi rick

according to herbilist i deal with vinegar with mother does not kill the good bacterial or emzyines. hi rick

well what it does is makes your bodies PH different and in turn it makes the body inhospitable for the bacteria. well they say that vinager will kill e.coli, so its my guess that it will also kill good/bad bacteria.

now i use to do the braggs thing too. love a cold glass of water on a hot summers day, adding a tspoon of braggs. it will quinch your thirst like nothing else, and i swear that it makes the water colder lol. try it.

why i dont use it nearly as often is it changes the bodies PH making you very acidic. well, several studies ive read suggests that cancer can live and thrive in a acidic body but not in a alkaine body, thus a body with a negitive PH is desired. vinager will raise your PH rather quickly. i know that from my own testing with test strips. to each his own at this point though. being a ex smoker im trying to be a lil more careful with things like this. it makes a wonderful cleaner though lol. but hey, i could be very wrong in all of this too ya know. :(

well what it does is makes your bodies PH different and in turn it makes the body inhospitable for the bacteria. well they say that vinager will kill e.coli, so its my guess that it will also kill good/bad bacteria.

now i use to do the braggs thing too. love a cold glass of water on a hot summers day, adding a tspoon of braggs. it will quinch your thirst like nothing else, and i swear that it makes the water colder lol. try it.

why i dont use it nearly as often is it changes the bodies PH making you very acidic. well, several studies ive read suggests that cancer can live and thrive in a acidic body but not in a alkaine body, thus a body with a negitive PH is desired. vinager will raise your PH rather quickly. i know that from my own testing with test strips. to each his own at this point though. being a ex smoker im trying to be a lil more careful with things like this. it makes a wonderful cleaner though lol. but hey, i could be very wrong in all of this too ya know. :(

i don't have no degrees myself.but what i do know " mother" is a living organism.if you buy some vinegar from a supermarket,most have no" mother " but if you pour very little from bragg,then the mother will grow.no being longer filtered vinegar.i've done this a few times.i never checked my ph afterwards,but i will.thax for the thought. . on another natural antibiotic was used by the romans.they gave there soilders pure silver canteens towhich if they lost,where exicuted. then they mixed 1/2 water,1/2 wine.the wine (acid) would disolve particles of silver.keeping the army from getting sick drinking water from different areas.today people drink that silver in large amounts,and it turns them blue.

yes ive seen that, the blue guy. hes taken so much silver something that its turned him blueish. that was very weird to see. oh there is no doubt that vinager has some very nice healing properties indeed, and if your gonna use it buy braggs BECAUSE of the mother within. try the drink i mentioned above. its killer on a hot day. i swear by it.

I found a good article pertaining to this matter. I don't know if I can post this, but here it is:

http://goldismoney2.com/showthread.php?14035-Seven-Antibiotics-to-Stockpile-and-Why

It narrows down some good abx. The ones that are listed cover a great deal of bugs (Gram + and -). The great thing is that the author also narrows it down from 7 to 3. It's a very good article and explains a lot. I would like to point out, that just because you have an antibiotic, doesn't mean you know how and when to use them. There is a lot of knowledge behind using abx (that's why there are Infectious Disease doctors). Be safe and research not only your abx, but the microbiology that goes with it. Know which bugs are which and what type of abx is most likely going to fight those bugs.

Concerning honey. It's an excellent wound care product. I've used it a lot to care for many nasty wounds.

Question for Nurse Amy... What is the benefit of using sugar in the betadine solution? Is betadine by itself enough?

This is a great thread!

When would I take the dose? When I first notice foul smell and slight pain upon urination?

Hi Femvet,

You could consider using sulfamethioxazole/trimethoprim (brand names: Bactrim or Septra, veterinary equivalent Bird-Sulfa) at the lowest dose on a daily basis if the SHTF. It seems strange that your doctor wouldn't give you this or Macrodantin as a preventative, it's not that unusual a practice...

Dr. Bones

cranberry juice lemon juice and lime juice are good flushing kidneys

as well as light beer like coors light its like water but if your having

a yeast build up in the body it is caused by something last paragraph

test can help you narrow it down..

i would suspect vinegar wold do so also but as far as killing any bacteria I have my doubts

the abx spoken I think are sulfur based check with nurse amy and doctor bob if you allergic to

sulfur oh no .........

another possibility for chronic kidney infections could be yeast or an allergy to a food your eating

in Iran they use live culture yogurt applied directly "internally" and it works don't look at me but that is

what she told me.

you need to be careful I tried using saw palmetto and got hives from an allergy you never know and how

severe.

I got a gluten free cake mix given to me and tried it holy crap it cleaned me out like a colonic cramps

etc... you never know a thing you have eaten all your life can turn on you or when you were younger

had little effect

so FEMVET make an appointment at the VA and get an allergy test they used to make small scratches

on your back and forearms and test all kinds of stuff like wheat corn animal dander citrus etc

at least forewarned is forearmed

ADD on here I have numerous antiseptics I have iodine alcohol/s peroxide

antibiotic ointment and colloidal silver also watkins petro carbo salve

flours of sulfur I am not allergic and tea tree oil, oregano oil, spearmint oil,

camphor oil and lidocain ointment vitamin E and freezeone and zink oxide

I would have Mercurochrome except it has had the mercury removed

there are to many bugs that no one way may work so I look for

alternatives I also have oil of lavender, oil of cloves and cinnamon

and absorbine jr LMAO my dad used this on everything horses too

and the best for open cuts pure salt necrotizing faceitis scares me and it is

becoming more common I figure something will work or I get out the torch

a small burn is better than being eaten alive and it is fast.

exit

lidocain spray is a good topical but an ice pack the have chemical ones

break the bag inside and shake it gets real cold get the area cold and start stitching

my dad would just sit on us and scrub it out with peroxide and put

carbo salve in it and sew it up with un-waxed dental floss or fishing line

while we were hollering and screaming I am just glad it was not

absorbine jr.

IMHO

Edited by juzcallmesnake

yea got a 4 inch scar on my ankle from a double bit axe mesquite is like chopping cement car stops

wrong angle and your gonna' be hurtin' for certain.

I learned one thing when doing home surgery on your self wear a bandanna cause your going to sweat

like a wh@re in church and some tissue as snot is going to run and your going to shake like a

dog crapping razor blades.

does not hurt to bite on a rag it helps from drooling or spittle as your trying not to scream and cussing.

all most forgot the stomach going around like flipper at sea world

and you need to learn half hitches for them bleeders LOL

Its seems funny now but it lacked humor at the time I was working on myself.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

feel free ricksconnected

in normal conversation crapping is converted to sh*tting I was attempting to "keep it sanitary"

but I can't do it for long.

I think it has something to do with the complete and utter frustration in dealing with the government

and educated people as they make nothing simple.

As in pie are square when everyone knows pie are round cornbread are square.

square root hell I ain't never seen a square root oval maybe but never square those guy's need to get out

more.

we got a weather man {meteorologist} here he is a PHD he says rain causes flooding "who knew"

meteorologist now shouldn't that have to do with meteors I mean if a doctor of medicine followed this logic

a Proctologist would be an eye doctor.

I think we ought to get rid of the USGS as they have never predicted an earthquake they are more like

a late warning system after it happens they tell us where it came from that's like the doctor telling you

does it hurt here after your yelling it hurts.

I was just watching CNN senator Graham is saying that if we leave Afghanistan and leave a training force

that they can flourish as I recall the only thing they "flourished" at was growing poppies for heroin

now that sound like a solution LMAO...

generally when a doctor of science or medicine says something I can only come back with "NO SH*T"

Example were going to have to remove that bullet NO SH*T

You have a concussion NO SH*T can't see out of one eye and the other so so

science finds something then name it but it has always been there so who's riding the short bus

I know I know I don't understand well maybe just maybe I see the irony and understand Einstein's theory

better than most I just do not see how it gets me through Houston traffic any quicker I think if all science

would concentrate on a problem like cancer we would solve it quicker than separate non essential groups.

Worrying about earthquakes that cannot be stopped or tornadoes ask Joplin how well that 20 minute

warning worked out even the governor said it had little effect for an EF5 event.

if a tornado forms over your head and drops down how much warning time the same 20 minutes

you have to remember that is the maximum time but from the time you see it or know of it and where you

are in relation to it has some part in it don't you think {that's a rhetorical question}

Again "we are going to investigate so it will never happen again" do you see mandatory safe rooms for

new construction but you have to have hand rails for handicapped rest rooms and then they put the

toilet paper roll holder under it so you have to lay on the floor to get at it.

and where is the education for how to build a safe room when I was young a CD in a triangle meant you

could dive in there and survive a storm event I see more signs for a popular restaurant than a shelter.

instead of your children being taught where to go in an emergency and tested to make sure they know

they are being taught alternative lifestyles.

I like the H in a circle for hospital well how far depends how close you are if the sign is marked or not.

A HOJO and Stuckey's had more signs back in the day with more information.

Now scientist are looking for life everywhere except here 1.5 million are dying of starvation

and disease here and they are looking for an amoeba or fungus they do not believe in ET but they keep

looking for him you say you saw a saucer they sneer at you and stare back into their telescopes and

readjust their headphones listening to Arecibo radio 99.9 whistle crackle and hum.

And as to this thread back in the day there were no SARS Severe acute respiratory syndrome or

necrotizing fasciitis {flesh eating bacteria} and others

because we smoked in hospitals apparently nicotine is a antimicrobial and Bacteriostatic

maybe in the near future a cigar a day keeps the killer disease away but don't hold your breath.