Sign in to follow this  
101matt

Survival stick!!!! What do you think????

After stumbling on this site and talking to others with more experence I need your advice!!!

http://www.crawfordknives.com/SURVIVAL%20STAFF%20PAGE%201.htm

Is this too expensive?

Is it a viable tool for preping and hiking?

Would you want one if it had a cheaper Price??

Ok so dont be shy..let me know

Thanks

Edited by 101matt

I would -love- one of those. If it cost a heck of a lot less, I would maybe even consider buying one. But honestly, I can only see it being very useful before any SHTF type stuff. After SHTF, if Im going hiking, I will be carrying some type of long gun that will probably make carrying that walking stick hard.

But when it comes to cool factor, and lots of features and toys... I think just about any man would like one!

Guest kevin

lol....great minds think alike wolf....just told my wife the same exact thing.

Thanks for the review..so far the $295.00 base price is too much...and the rest is way too much..But the Idea is sound..A walking stick that holds a bit of stuff and gives the support you may need if walking in them thar hills and mountains.

So a stick for use in fishing??I fly fish and it would be handy to have a pole with a spike on the end to help balance myself in a moving curent.

Rod I beleve you are correct ."I will stick with my Boy Scout hiking staff I made for a couple of dollars and carries more useful stuff.

So a hiking stick is a good tool and should be considered!

The price should be under$100..RIGHT??????? if it could provide the "need" of the person at the time.Hiking ,fishing, Search and rescue,Camping?

Thanks for all the imput..ANYMORE???out there????

I have a walking stick that was made for me years ago. I used it when I hiked back home in the Blue Ridge Mountains and it'll go with me wherever. No bells or whistles but it's a great walking stick. Besides, I'm not paying that kind of money for a walking stick - dang, but they're proud of that stick!

It would definately be very cool to walk around with this stick, and I guess in a bad situation it could actually save your life.

I just don't see many people getting this because of the price. If you really want a stick you can just build one yourself. For free.

The survival staff thing they offer here is based a really old idea (old as in ancient japan). Staves were used to conceal all sorts of useful gear in one end, ranging from small blades and things, up to a chain/flail that remained attached to the staff while you beat someone to death with it. Walking staves were very common, and there was no legal issue for anyone using one. These days, if you had a metal pole of any kind, you'd almost certainly draw attention from the law (and if you have the concealed blade etc inside the staff, you are going to jail in pretty much every state).

For those who want a similar item, you can buy professional (telescoping) aluminum hiking poles, which have nice big grips on them. I've seen some can be had with small compartments inside the grip to store survival gear, or whatever you like. My wife and I were looking at a pair of very rugged ones for 40 bucks the other day, debating whether or not they would hold up as a baton in self defense work. Collapsed, they are almost exactly the same length as our rattan sticks, and the pole would be very hard to break while each section is collapsed inside of the others.

Welcome..

Its from Northern Wv..

I agree about the staff and its history,I dont think anyone need a blade on it,but a small pruning blade to attach and a small shovel head would be nice.

JMHO..ok so Im trying to include everything it may be usefull for..lol

Matt, I've seen small mattock like digging blades attached to narrow walking sticks before. The ones I saw were maybe 4" long not including the eye, and about 2" wide at the blade. They were slightly curved but turned up at an odd angle. Watched folks use them for all sorts of things, from digging to picking fruit on high limbs. Even saw a guy use one to put down a wild dog that tried to take him.

No idea where you'd find something like that in this country, all the ones I'd seen before where made by a smith.

I also agree way tp much for the stick and pvc would be much better and when SHTF and if I have to BO I will be carrying my Moslin Nagant 91/30 and that thing isn't to lite in itself, but no doubt it will get the job done 2 legged or 4 legged

That particular "stick" is illegal to posses or use in several states anyway. I agree with ruger92, if I've got to lug something "useful" along it will go bang and not pfffft! Just my personal preference is all. I've got a great hickory walking stick and a hickory cane about 38" long. That cane is used in politically unfriendly states when my political limp acts up. I use it like my old police issued straight baton from eons ago. Never did like the collapsible ASP-types nor could I use a PR-24 well. I did and still do practice regularly with my hiking staff and hiking cane. Haven,t had to use either except to keep 3 year old grandson herded in. The price of the Crawford stick for me, is nonsensical, I would rather buy more ammo.

After stumbling on this site and talking to others with more experence I need your advice!!!

http://www.crawfordknives.com/SURVIVAL%20STAFF%20PAGE%201.htm

Is this too expensive?

Is it a viable tool for preping and hiking?

Would you want one if it had a cheaper Price??

Ok so dont be shy..let me know

Thanks

I would not have one of these if they gave it to me IMO

BUDK has a a long and short Chinese waxwood stick very dense durable add a cold steel bushman

you have a hiking staff a strong large knife that turns into a spear, the knife has a sheath and a pocket

for a sharpening stone you can buy standard frog gigs for 3 bucks and they are much better than the gig

I saw for this "survival tool''.

for that much money we could all have an exceptional survival kit with a spear that would be as stout

as those use to hunt lion in Africa.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

Thanks to EVERYONE who gave thier opions...

I was very conserened about the price also,I have a wood walking stick and enjoy the feel of wood in my hand(dont go there)its natural and you can carve anything you want on it...

Yes Im working on a design to improve the ability of a walking stick...In these mountains/1800ft to 3500ft very quickley/ you need a bit of help climbing,and I fly fish so Im in the water up to my knees and them thar rocks are slipery.

Again Thanks..VERY MUCH>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Edited by 101matt