Sign in to follow this  
DonDon

Thinking about old school bus for bug out

As a kid I rode the old International yellow buses to school everyday, as a young adult I rode ( possiblec the exact some) international yellow buses to canoe float all over Missouri here, now as a father of 5 with a wife that I will have to sedate if TSHTF I am thinking that these simple tough easily reconfigurable icons of my past may insure a future for my family..... Think about it take out most of the seats, weld hog panels ( look them up great for hardening many things) on the windows put a few 55 gallon drums right over the fuel tanks with a hand crank pump ( 5 kids who needs batteries) small wood burning stove......no end to the possibilities better ground clearance than RVs (Capt Ron) much cheaper, many have belly storage. just bug in til time to go then open the back door back up to the house throw all you gear in, load the kids, drag in wife in and whistle for the dog and away you go! Seen one with the back odor replaced with a roll down and fold down ramps for quads and motorcycles. Really been on the mind lately if I can just manage to sale a little money......Anyone done this, the bus I mean

I haven't done it myself, but this is NOT an uncommon thing around my neck of the woods (lots of aging hippies around here). But there are some fantastic resources and ideas floating around out there for how to make it happen - they usually call them Skoolies online. Check out:

Skewly: The School Bus to RV Conversion

http://skewly.com/

Jake's School Bus Conversion Project

http://www.vonslatt.com/bus-main.shtml

School Bus as Cheap Housing

http://www.instructables.com/id/Re-use-a-Schoolbus-for-Cheap-Housing-Prologue/

Yeah it would work pretty well bit I would b concerned with the handling of the bus on the roads if things were dangerous..the amount of gas it uses and availability of parts if something were to break down but I too have thought about them in this manner

Excelent..

find one with a diesel motor.!!!

True Matt,but people have to keep in mind that a diesel does not work to well in the extreme cold.

You have to keep them plugged in up here when it's -20 to -40 out.And if you have no power to do so them your with out a vehicle.

One of the reason I am in the process of buying another RV like my diesel,but runs on gas.

My diesel will work for our traveling,but the gas one is going to be set up for our BOV.

Now I know not everyone lives in the cold or are going to move to where it gets this cold,but if there a possibility.Then gas will work fine.A 34' RV running on gas runs the same as a dully pickup.The one I am looking at gets 11-10 MPG.

My father back in the day made a RV out of a bus.It wasn't bad.

The thing was ugly as all get out.

It was a purple bus.lol

Just a thought.

I was definitely looking at diesel some of the older ones still have mechanical injection systems so they are EMP proof if you park on a hill.. Make that a biggggg hill also you can heat a diesel engine with a torpedo heater if you can produce a little power the long term storage capacity and the fact that far fewer people will be looking for the diesel that is sitting in every farms drive and under every gas station, highway department,boat dock,airport and the mile per gallon difference not to mention the gas versions of many large vehicles are not as powerful and capable

Im not very knowledgeable about them... but what about a military surplus duece and a half? It would be a similar size to a school bus, but more rugged, higher ground clearance, and I think they can lock differentials to get better traction.

DonDon,

I was looking at the web sites you provided links for. Boy! There is some pretty nice conversions of busses for not much money! Real interesting alternative to high priced RV's. Thanks for posting!

One thing to consider with them: don't get one with a doghouse motor - it will save overall vehicle length and give you a better view while driving, but they're a pain to work on. On the Chevy vans with doghouse motors, my boss will often charge $900 for a head gasket job, when he usually only charges $600, because they can be a pain and take a lot longer, and in fact some doghouse motors are easier to work on if you take off the entire front clip to get at the motor better. Plus, if you ever have to swap a motor, you'll have more clearance and ease with a regular motor layout, and possibly more engine options without tubbing anything, so if you come across, say, a Chevy Big Block that you want to replace your Chevy Small Block with, you won't have to cut inner fenders and jam that sucker into a smaller place than you'd like when it comes time for even a tune-up.